Go Back   Skateboard-City Forum > Skateboarding > Longboarding > Cliche Trocadero Review.
Go Back  

Old 09-09-2012   #1
BaconCheddar
Respected User

Focus: Just Chillin'
Props: 86
BaconCheddar is on a distinguished road (10+)
Default Cliche Trocadero Review.

Lets face it, I'm not the greatest skateboarder in the world. I've been skateboarding for five years, and have hardly expanded my bag of tricks since the first 3 of those years. I got burned out, always trying tricks trying to learn new things and getting frustrated or hurt in the process. So I took a break from skateboarding this past year. Well, I started getting that itch to skateboard again recently so I went out and dropped 100$ on a new deck, wheels, and bearings for my street set-up. Which honestly now at the time of writing this review I regret doing. Because it turns out all I really wanted was something fun, fast, and enjoyable to ride. Insert the cliche trocadero.

After being bummed out on dropping a 100$ and still not having as much fun as I remember having skateboarding in my younger years I invited one of my good friends to go skate with me. We had a little session, it was enjoyable, but it was also tiring, hot, frustrating, and felt a little like work more than play. That's when we got on the topic of longboarding, and after hearing how enjoyable my friend thought it to be I decided to go to the local shop just to price longboards for the future.
After seeing the price tags (upwards of 200$) I was hesitant that I'd ever buy one. But then elusive to my initial eye I looked up and there they were, on the left were the famous penny boards, respectably priced at 100$ (Which made me regret my decision of restoring my street board even more.) and on the right were the cliche' trocaderos with a price tag of 70$.
By looking at both the penny boards and the trocaderos I couldn't visually see any difference in the size or shape between the two, I assumed the price differences were the bearing differences or the wheels, though I couldn't tell any difference in wheel quality. Well long story made short but still definable as TL:DR I got to talking to the shop owner, and he was saying how penny boards were selling almost every day but he was having a hard time selling the cliche's. So considering my past of supporting the shop and the 100$ I just dropped the week before he lowered the price for me and I walked out of there with a yellow/blue wheeled cliche' for 47.97$.

ON TO THE REVIEW.

I've only had this thing two days, tomorrow being monday which I plan to go ride again with the same friend that helped convince me to buy it in the first place. And I absolutely LOVE IT. The board is plastic, assuming poly carbonate or something, the trucks appear to be of good quality, the urethane is 100% adequate to haul ass, and the bearings, though stock when I first bought it actually were acceptably fast. I would assume this is a cliche' version of the probably adequately similar stereo vinyl cruiser boards. There's a little flex in the board as well as the kicktail, which I also love. It makes things feel more sketchy, and more fun. the trucks turn sharp when you want, but also are able to hold straight with only minor speed wobbles while bombing a hill. Due mostly to my foot and weight placement, if its right, no speed wobbles, if its wrong, hang on for a scary ride. I don't know if this board is of the same quality of a penny board, or if a penny board is any better in any way. The way I look at it, is that it's everything I had been missing in my life, and everything I always wanted in a skateboard. No pressure of progressing your trick list to keep up with the shredders of the park, no frustration of trying a trick 100 times only to get up and say "dude this try, I got it this try", no work feeling, just the fun simplicity that I feel a lot of skateboarders have forgotten of riding. Just, riding. It's put my love back into skateboarding and I honestly can say this board is the most fun I've had skateboarding, ever. So whether you get a penny, a stereo vinyl, or a cliche trocadero they're all basically the same and are meant to save the same purpose. Of having fun. And in that respect the cliche' trocadero is 150% successful. I'm giving this board a 11/10...yes you read that right.Thanks for reading.

Heres a clip I got with my friend the first day riding it, at the time I was using the stock bearings. I have since swapped my reds from my street board with the stock bearings...curious to see the results of that tomorrow. Will update with a video to see if there are any noticeable differences.

Cliche trocadero - YouTube

Trocadero commercial
Cliché Trocadero skateboards - YouTube
Old 09-09-2012   #2
imnikola
Respected User

Focus: Tranny Thrasher
Props: 34
imnikola has a spectacular aura about (150+)imnikola has a spectacular aura about (150+)imnikola has a spectacular aura about (150+)

Now is the grippiness of the top part.Kinda feel it's gonna be slippery without grip tape.

BTW read all and really enjoyed reading it.

imnikola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #3
BaconCheddar
Respected User

Focus: Just Chillin'
Props: 86
BaconCheddar is on a distinguished road (10+)

grippiness of top part is really good actually, the way the pattern is really goes well with the sole pattern of any skate shoe and with the weight of your front foot always being on it while pushing/riding it definitely makes your foot stick. No grip necessary, I was surprised at that myself.
Old 09-09-2012   #4
skater fo ever
Romans 10:9-10..check it!

Focus: All Rounder
Props: 53
skater fo ever will become famous soon enough (50+)
Send a message via AIM to skater fo ever

I saw one on sale a week ago for 30 bucks so I figured i'd grab it.

Haven't really had time to do anything since i've been workign so much but I think if i had to choose between this and the stereo one i'd choose the stereo one. Mainly because the stereo one is made of harder plastic which isi what i'd prefer. But i'm sure i'll get used to the bendiness of it as time goes by.

skater fo ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #5
bigriggah

bigriggah refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

I want one made of carbon nanotubes.
bigriggah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #6
dtj16
Steez'

Props: 2,336
dtj16 is a name known to alldtj16 is a name known to alldtj16 is a name known to alldtj16 is a name known to alldtj16 is a name known to alldtj16 is a name known to all

That's awesome you found fun in a new board and that your buddy cut you a deal.
Nice little review.
The only thing that made me laugh was sa ying that your first day skating was.. and i quote.. 'it wasn't nearly as fun as I remember, it was tiring, hot, an frustrating'

Obviously if you st op doing something active, then try to do it again 1 year later, it's going to be more difficult. Why give up after 1 session? I'm sure when you were younger you didn't give up the first day skateboarding..
Seems like cruisers and longboards are an excellent excuse for people to continue skating when they want to give up and stop progressing.
That wasn't a diss, just an observation, as said...
It's fucking rad you're restoked on skateboarding!
dtj16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #7
Ynot

Focus: Just startin' out
Ynot is a jewel in the roughYnot is a jewel in the roughYnot is a jewel in the roughYnot is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Ynot Send a message via Skype™ to Ynot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtj16 View Post
That's awesome you found fun in a new board and that your buddy cut you a deal.
Nice little review.
The only thing that made me laugh was sa ying that your first day skating was.. and i quote.. 'it wasn't nearly as fun as I remember, it was tiring, hot, an frustrating'

Obviously if you st op doing something active, then try to do it again 1 year later, it's going to be more difficult. Why give up after 1 session? I'm sure when you were younger you didn't give up the first day skateboarding..
Seems like cruisers and longboards are an excellent excuse for people to continue skating when they want to give up and stop progressing.
That wasn't a diss, just an observation, as said...
It's fucking rad you're restoked on skateboarding!
eh, I wouldn't say that's completely untrue; I myself got back into it recently with a cruiser board as well, and I really like that it's more relaxing and laid back than trying to pull off tricks on a skateboard all the time.

but yeah, great review Bacon!

RIP OneManga.com, July 2010. you were fuckin' awesome
Ynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #8
S T E E Z U S

S T E E Z U S refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

Pretty great review, kinda makes me wish I had one to cruise around my neighborhood in. I had a skateboard with long board wheels and regular trucks, and that's the closest I've ever gotten to a long board, aha. I defiantly like the speed you got in the video, seems a little scary though. A lot of people say they get adrenalin from just skating period, but If I went that fast I'd freak out because the rush hurts me for some reason. Anyways, good job dude.
S T E E Z U S is offline   Reply With Quote