Quantcast What skateboard should I buy for my 8 year old who wants to try skateboarding? - Skateboard-City Forum
skateboard city logo What skateboard should I buy for my 8 year old who wants to try skateboarding?
Home Forum Skateboard Trick Tips Videos Reviews Skateboarding Articles
New Posts Live Feed Social Groups Photo Albums FAQ Members List Calendar Subscribed Threads
Go Back   Skateboard-City Forum > Skateboard Related > General Skate Talk > What skateboard should I buy for my 8 year old who wants to try skateboarding?
Go Back  

Old 04-27-2010   #1
sawan
Perma Banned

Focus: All Rounder
sawan refuses to make a significant post (0-10)
Default What skateboard should I buy for my 8 year old who wants to try skateboarding?

I would like to know how much I should expect to spend for a safe, decent starter skateboard. I live near a skateboard shop where the prices start at $125. That seems outrageous for an eight year old who has never done it, and may eventually lose interest. But I don't want to underspend either, especially if safety is compromised, or if it would undermine his interest because of poor performance. I would like to spend around $50, or less. Is that possible? Can I get a decent one at that price? Would it be safe? Can anybody suggest a specific skateboard? Thanks.
sawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #2
kickflipsarehard
Respected User

Focus: Just Chillin'
kickflipsarehard will become famous soon enough (50+)

Walmart has cheap boards, but if you spend $50 on q skateboard, there's a good chance you'll be replacing parts pretty soon after he starts using it.
Old 04-27-2010   #3
StarcraftLedZeppelin
→ A ↓ → A ↓

Location: Because you don't know us at all we laugh when old people fall. But what would you expect..........
StarcraftLedZeppelin is rollin' on sum twentiesStarcraftLedZeppelin is rollin' on sum twentiesStarcraftLedZeppelin is rollin' on sum twentiesStarcraftLedZeppelin is rollin' on sum twentiesStarcraftLedZeppelin is rollin' on sum twentiesStarcraftLedZeppelin is rollin' on sum twentiesStarcraftLedZeppelin is rollin' on sum twentiesStarcraftLedZeppelin is rollin' on sum twenties

I've built brand new boards for less than $50.

It's all just dependent on where you shop, for now don't be afraid to buy him a wal-mart board. If he's truly interested in this life style(not a sport or a hobby) then you can step up your purchasing power and get some real equipment.
StarcraftLedZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #4
Townson

Focus: Flatland Fanatic
Townson refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

walmart definately. they aint that bad and all of em have at least a shallow concave now so he'll be used to it when he gets an actual board. plus he needs slow bearings lol. unless you want him to go to the e.r.
mob ass heelflips - (x)
willy grinds - (x)
no comply shuv - (x)
boneless - (x)
bert slide pivot out - (x) fun as hell.
shave my beard - ( )
Alabama.
Townson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #5
VuTheDude

VuTheDude refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

YouTube - What parents need to know about walmart skateboards <---what parents need to know about walmart skateboards, note that the vid was made over a year ago, walmart board might be better now, but i'd still suggest just going to a local skate shop and get the guy there to help you out, the first time i bought my board, i got a pretty sweet set up for $73: blank deck, thunder trucks, bones wheels and speed demons bearings.
VuTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #6
xninjadude03
Respected User

xninjadude03 has a spectacular aura about (150+)xninjadude03 has a spectacular aura about (150+)xninjadude03 has a spectacular aura about (150+)

Nooo no wal-mart boards. They can be really hard to start on, they're hard to maneuver and heavy. You can get blank decks for really cheap ($10), and other equipment (trucks, wheels, etc.) for cheap if you look around the internet. You could also get a complete on the internet for pretty cheap, as low as $80. It's a bit more than what you want to pay, but any board under $50 is, in all honesty, going to suck really badly.

Sorry if this isn't coherent I'm kinda tired.
xninjadude03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #7
Uzis

Uzis refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

go to a shop, nothing worse than trying to learn on a useless piece of shit, might just make him wanna quit before he even starts.

i remember first trying to snowboard with a heavy, bulky, crappy, heavy rental set up ( boots and all ) and just being bogged down.

its funny, the best pros have all the best equipment ( light, strong, fast ) and here you are with no experience trying to struggle with the worst gear, how you ever gonna get good ?

get him a proper blank deck set up. also considering hes only 8, get a small deck. 7.75 or under imo.
Uzis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #8
d-ville skater
Respected User

Props: 7
d-ville skater is on a distinguished road (10+)
Send a message via AIM to d-ville skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzis View Post
go to a shop, nothing worse than trying to learn on a useless piece of shit, might just make him wanna quit before he even starts.

i remember first trying to snowboard with a heavy, bulky, crappy, heavy rental set up ( boots and all ) and just being bogged down.

its funny, the best pros have all the best equipment ( light, strong, fast ) and here you are with no experience trying to struggle with the worst gear, how you ever gonna get good ?

get him a proper blank deck set up. also considering hes only 8, get a small deck. 7.75 or under imo.
I ride a 7.75 and Im twice his age and probably even more when it comes to shoe size.

I mean a generic brand store set up wouldnt be bad, its just the bearings... those things are impossible to push. But hes 8,
d-ville skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #9
grimcity
Roll Forever

Props: 291
grimcity has a spectacular aura about (150+)grimcity has a spectacular aura about (150+)grimcity has a spectacular aura about (150+)
Send a message via Yahoo to grimcity

sawan, do you know any other skater-parents with kids that skated when they were your child's age? They might be a great resource.

When I started I was 10, but that was in 1985, and I skated on a tank compared to the sizes available today.
Old 04-27-2010   #10
StarcraftLedZeppelin
→ A ↓ → A ↓

Location: Because you don't know us at all we laugh when old people fall. But what would you expect..........
StarcraftLedZeppelin is rollin' on sum twentiesStarcraftLedZeppelin is rollin' on sum twentiesStarcraftLedZeppelin is rollin' on sum twentiesStarcraftLedZeppelin is rollin' on sum twentiesStarcraftLedZeppelin is rollin' on sum twentiesStarcraftLedZeppelin is rollin' on sum twentiesStarcraftLedZeppelin is rollin' on sum twentiesStarcraftLedZeppelin is rollin' on sum twenties

Quote:
Originally Posted by xninjadude03 View Post
It's a bit more than what you want to pay, but any board under $50 is, in all honesty, going to suck really badly.
I know of a second hand store that sells zumies shipments, I can buy new trucks for $5, new barrings for $3, new skateboard for $25, new wheels for $5.

Try to tell me that all these new materials are not quality product just because it's less than $50.

http://www.svdpseattle.org/WhoWeAre.htm This is the place I buy all my new gear from when I can.

He's right about the online completes though, CCS has a nice starter deck for $80.
StarcraftLedZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #11
Uzis

Uzis refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ville skater View Post
I ride a 7.75 and Im twice his age and probably even more when it comes to shoe size.

I mean a generic brand store set up wouldnt be bad, its just the bearings... those things are impossible to push. But hes 8,

im riding a 7.63 in 9.5 shoes and im about 3 times his age, im just saying get something at most under 7.75 as anything bigger would be tooo big for an 8 year old imo.
Uzis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010   #12
Axle

Axle refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

Agree on not cheaping out for the first board. My parents got me a really crappy skateboard, and I only ended up using it for a few weeks before giving up. I didn't start skating until several years later, when I met someone at school who had a real board.
Old 04-27-2010   #13
★★★★

★★★★ refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

He's at the age where I'd consider buying him a premade complete from a site like CCS.com. They usually only run for around 60 dollars.
Old 04-28-2010   #14
VuTheDude

VuTheDude refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

i would still stick with going to a local skate shop. because 1. support your local skate shop, don't let them go out of business or you'll be forced to buy things online (which sometimes have the best deals, but sometimes don't) or go to walmart and stuff 2. usually at a small skate shop, the owner is more willing to bargain, this is from my personal experience, when i bought my skateboard, the set up originally costs $109.99 but my mom negotiated a price of $73, that's pretty sweet 3. meet with other skaters or skaters' parents and they can share their experiences letting their children skateboard, and your kid can also meet with other skaters his age 4. if your child gets good, he might get sponsored more easily, because he already knows the owners and stuff, and they know him, so if he's really good it might be easier for him to get sponsored by that local skate shop 5. you will be updated with the upcoming sponsor challenges, promotions, demo events, skate camp infos, and sales. so just go to a local skate shop
VuTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #15
Guano Wheels

Props: 11
Guano Wheels refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

Do not get a board from Wal-Mart. I have 2 boys who both started out on Termite boards. Skateboarding can be expensive when you first start out but it will be worth it in the long run. > > > http://www.termiteskateboards.com/catalog/index.php
Guano Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #16
Halofan21

Focus: Stair Jumper
Halofan21 refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

I would say go wal-mart boards first that was my first board it doesn't have any concave so your son can get a sense of balance better, the bearings are slow but that just means he won't be able to go fast which shouldn't even be a goal as a begineer you can also learn some basic tricks (ollies, etc.) and best of all if he doesn't show any real interst in it your only out 20 dollars compared to the 80 and up you could be.
Halofan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #17
xninjadude03
Respected User

xninjadude03 has a spectacular aura about (150+)xninjadude03 has a spectacular aura about (150+)xninjadude03 has a spectacular aura about (150+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarcraftLedZeppelin View Post
I know of a second hand store that sells zumies shipments, I can buy new trucks for $5, new barrings for $3, new skateboard for $25, new wheels for $5.

Try to tell me that all these new materials are not quality product just because it's less than $50.

http://www.svdpseattle.org/WhoWeAre.htm This is the place I buy all my new gear from when I can.

He's right about the online completes though, CCS has a nice starter deck for $80.
I'm not saying price= quality, you know what I mean with the price, there are exceptions. Most places here though charge, like... $75-$80 for a deck alone, so a $50 board is like a $25-$30 board.

And the site doesn't show up for me. :( I want some cheap boards.
xninjadude03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #18
Skatenjoi
Respected User

Focus: Music Buff
Skatenjoi refuses to make a significant post (0-10)
Send a message via AIM to Skatenjoi

I used to have a walmart board and when I did my first moving, flatground ollie, the wheel literally shattered
now I know he won't be doing anything with impact for a long time, but they're so badly made that they're just unsafe
Old 04-28-2010   #19
SecondImpact

Focus: Filmer Freak
SecondImpact will become famous soon enough (50+)

You could get a complete from blankdecks.com they have some pretty cheap boards.

Don't get a walmart board whatever you do. Plus, no skateboard is safe, your son is going to get hurt.
Old 04-28-2010   #20
flip-skateboards

Props: 85
flip-skateboards is on a distinguished road (10+)
Send a message via MSN to flip-skateboards

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Skateboards-HEART...item53e0edc913

just search complete skateboards on ebay untill you see a relativly cheap setup that is legit.
flip-skateboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #21
Disclaimer

Focus: Ledge Lover
Disclaimer refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VuTheDude View Post
YouTube - What parents need to know about walmart skateboards <---what parents need to know about walmart skateboards, note that the vid was made over a year ago, walmart board might be better now, but i'd still suggest just going to a local skate shop and get the guy there to help you out, the first time i bought my board, i got a pretty sweet set up for $73: blank deck, thunder trucks, bones wheels and speed demons bearings.
WOOT I LOVE THAT VID XD
watched it like 100 times already. its funny >:D

but he speaks the truth. dont go for the walmart. get atleast world industries, or like sporting good store boards. definately not walmart. bearings are PLASTIC. he will trip and fall. the board will stop by itself, and he will TRIP, and FALL, and HURT himself.
Old 04-28-2010   #22
graffeedy5
Respected User

Focus: Stair Jumper
Props: 16
graffeedy5 is a jewel in the roughgraffeedy5 is a jewel in the roughgraffeedy5 is a jewel in the rough

Walmart board is a bad idea. It's literally impossible to skate on one of them. Wheels don't spin, they weigh 20 pounds, trucks break and don't turn, most of them are made of plastic, they don't grind and even a pro couldn't skate for shit on a walmart board.

Blankdecks.com has a great deal for a complete, generic namebrand, but still a real skateboard, for 49.99 http://blankdecks.com/completes/level_1_completes.htm

It's an actual skateboard, the trucks turn, wheels spin, and it's not made out of cardboard, and it's not going to break the bank either. If you're going to get him a walmart skateboard you're basically guaranteeing that he's not going to like it. Walmart boards are more like decorations than actual skateboards.