Quantcast Long Term effects of skating. - Skateboard-City Forum
skateboard city logo Long Term effects of skating.
Home Forum Skateboard Trick Tips Videos Reviews Skateboarding Articles
New Posts Live Feed Social Groups Photo Albums FAQ Members List Calendar Subscribed Threads
Go Back   Skateboard-City Forum > Skateboard Related > General Skate Talk > Long Term effects of skating.
Go Back  

Old 07-15-2007   #1
KTWO
Respected User

KTWO refuses to make a significant post (0-10)
Default Long Term effects of skating.

I was just thinking about this.... Skating is pretty new. New as in that there haven't been many people that have died that started skating in the beginning of skateboarding. There has not been a full generation of people that have lived and died in skateboarding yet. (and I don't mean riding a plank, I mean serious skateboarding such as the Z boys). That got me thinking about different athletic injuries in different sports. many athletes have had to have different parts of their bodies replaced because of mass use of that area. for example a batters arm, many batters develop cancer in their arms or have to get their joints replaced. Then that made me think how hard modern street skating could affect our bodies. Think about a simple trick such as the ollie... the constant poping and hard landing. Over and over and over again every day for years to come. I wonder what that does to your joints and bones over say....20 years an up? And what about when you start getting older? Will all modern skaters today be in wheelchairs by the age of 75? What about all the bails too? That HAS to do some damage over time.
I don't think earlier skating had that problem because the high impact flip tricks and ollies were non existent. So around the mid 80's this would have started. I am not against skating of course, no matter what skating does to my body I will continue to do it until I die or am unable to. In ten years will Chris Cole and Eric Koston have major health problems? And I am not really worried about it I was just thinking about it and wanted to post it.

DISCUSS

Last edited by KTWO; 07-15-2007 at 03:21 AM..
KTWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007   #2
galloway
Respected User

Focus: All Rounder
galloway is a jewel in the roughgalloway is a jewel in the roughgalloway is a jewel in the rough

well it does make since-i mean every sport does some damage to ur body-my m8 used to play volleyball a lot now hes got hernia. as for the injuries-uve got natas kaupas-injury-thats why he stopped skating..... i mean no matter how clean u land smth down a big set-17-18 the impact is huge and if u do that all the time u will eventually start having problems with ur heels, joints knees, bones, etc. now lets face it-cole and reynolds can afford the surgery and probably wont suffer that much. but there r many others that will just have to learn to live with it i guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -krooked- View Post
you wont be saying its dumb when i go fs feebs that 9 rail as a result of me jerking it before i went skating.

http://fuuuuu.net/
galloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007   #3
masina

masina refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

Pro skaters often have surgery on their knees and stuff. But then they just carry on skating afterwards, good as new. For example, Arto Saari had reconstructive knee surgery in '04.
masina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007   #4
ZipZinger
Respected User

Focus: Just Chillin'
ZipZinger refuses to make a significant post (0-10)
Send a message via AIM to ZipZinger

The main thing to worry about is the knees. The skating action works the muscles on the left and right sides of your knee, but not on top so often the kneecap will slide out of place. This can be avoided if you lift and work out on that machine that's a chair and then you try to stretch your legs out and pull up a thing.

Also ankles are a big problem.
Old 07-15-2007   #5
michaelo
Respected User

Focus: Filmer Freak
michaelo refuses to make a significant post (0-10)
Send a message via AIM to michaelo Send a message via MSN to michaelo

knees are the worst thing in skateboarding. i've hurt my right knee 4 times in the last 5 months. I've torn the quad in my knee. Then my ankle my right ankle i've broke about a month ago
Old 07-15-2007   #6
geskater

Focus: Grind King
Props: 127
geskater refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

damn it, now i have to quit skating. jk, but yeah your gonna have injury's and long term affects from any sport and if your really that scared then why not just become a vegetable and sit around and do nothing, then you'll be fine when your older, i think that the joy of skateboarding is soo good that you the price that you hae to pay when your older shouldn't matter that much.
Old 07-15-2007   #7
kfskater661

kfskater661 refuses to make a significant post (0-10)
Send a message via AIM to kfskater661

how bout a 300 hundred pound line backer hittin you every couple plays. throwin baseballs 90mph and up constantly. driving a gold ball 250+ yards. every sport will damage yur body. but skating isn't quite as bad as most sports. sure skating might wear down yur bodies joints. but really only as you get older. and skating has many possitive effects on yur body. it build ALOT of legs muscles, and many other things
Old 07-15-2007   #8
the_unknown_soldier
Occupy GoT

Focus: Tranny Thrasher
Props: 111
the_unknown_soldier is rollin' on sum twentiesthe_unknown_soldier is rollin' on sum twentiesthe_unknown_soldier is rollin' on sum twentiesthe_unknown_soldier is rollin' on sum twentiesthe_unknown_soldier is rollin' on sum twentiesthe_unknown_soldier is rollin' on sum twentiesthe_unknown_soldier is rollin' on sum twentiesthe_unknown_soldier is rollin' on sum twenties

Quote:
Originally Posted by masina View Post
Pro skaters often have surgery on their knees and stuff. But then they just carry on skating afterwards, good as new. For example, Arto Saari had reconstructive knee surgery in '04.
He's also had open heart surgery, and head surgery for that fall in Flip Sorry.
Arto's a fucking trooper.
Old 07-15-2007   #9
krux4892
Perma Banned

krux4892 refuses to make a significant post (0-10)
Send a message via AIM to krux4892

ik one, having great memories of spending time with your friends and such
krux4892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007   #10
SkateAloneSkateTogether

SkateAloneSkateTogether refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

i saw steve cab doing backside flips on a bank that i dont even like to hit up. and this was a few months ago. i think in some ways it will be like surfing kind off, you do all your gnarly shit when your young and made of rubber, you start to get more into having nice technique as you become a man, and by the time you got grey hair your just surfin the concrete waves in the bowl or bombin a hill.
SkateAloneSkateTogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007   #11
Enjoisf

Props: 5
Enjoisf refuses to make a significant post (0-10)
Send a message via AIM to Enjoisf Send a message via MSN to Enjoisf

that is a good point, i guess only time will tell
Old 07-16-2007   #12
Twinskate
5up3r /\/\0d3r4t0r

Props: 38
Twinskate is on a distinguished road (10+)
Send a message via AIM to Twinskate Send a message via MSN to Twinskate

I have tendonitis from throwing baseballs OVER and OVER and OVER, as I am a pitcher, shit sucks.

but in skating, the only thing so far that I do is wake up in the morning, and crack my ankles.

this is Twinskate-2 btw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch madman View Post
EDIT:damn you, feel_good

fuck me, if that comma wasn't there, that would've been one akward sentence
Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpool strickes back View Post

Going to jail shouldn't be this fucking hard.
Twinskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007   #13
Deliverance

Deliverance refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

Well one day I plan on becoming a robot, so I don't really give a shit about my body.
Old 07-16-2007   #14
popwar isnt war
White Russian

Props: 609
popwar isnt war is just really nicepopwar isnt war is just really nicepopwar isnt war is just really nicepopwar isnt war is just really nice

who cares
Old 07-16-2007   #15
drizzle
卐 HATE 卐 LULZ 卐

Focus: Tranny Thrasher
Props: 7
drizzle is just really nicedrizzle is just really nicedrizzle is just really nicedrizzle is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to drizzle

I don't see Gonz or Natas having health issues... and they've been going big for years and years.
Old 07-16-2007   #16
BailBoarder
WILDCARD BITCHES!!!

Focus: Music Buff
BailBoarder is on a distinguished road (10+)
Send a message via AIM to BailBoarder Send a message via MSN to BailBoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_unknown_solider View Post
He's also had open heart surgery, and head surgery for that fall in Flip Sorry.
Arto's a fucking trooper.
shit, i never knew that
Old 07-16-2007   #17
Mr_Flip

Mr_Flip refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

i fucked up my knee but im working it out and drinking milk and soon to get some glucosimine

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_DRiZzLe View Post
why the hell would anyone want digusting bapes?
what are you, black?

and if so, forgive me.
Mr_Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007   #18
d-ville skater
Respected User

Props: 7
d-ville skater is on a distinguished road (10+)
Send a message via AIM to d-ville skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_DRiZzLe View Post
I don't see Gonz or Natas having health issues... and they've been going big for years and years.
Not nessecarly. Not as big as the guys nowadays. And you have no idea about theyre health. They can look ok on camera, but that doesnt mean they are in reality.
d-ville skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #19
ArK9

ArK9 refuses to make a significant post (0-10)
Send a message via ICQ to ArK9 Send a message via AIM to ArK9 Send a message via MSN to ArK9 Send a message via Yahoo to ArK9 Send a message via Skype™ to ArK9

I think what you should worrie about more is DRIVING YOUR CAR!

did you know that 1 in 3 people will be involved in a FATAL car crash in there lives?

Thats somthing to think about..
ArK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #20
Shane

Shane refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArK9 View Post
I think what you should worrie about more is DRIVING YOUR CAR!

did you know that 1 in 3 people will be involved in a FATAL car crash in there lives?

Thats somthing to think about..
Okay All State black guy.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #21
Shane

Shane refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

Shit, now I'm scared. I might have to become a tranny dog.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #22
DVSskater42

DVSskater42 refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

lol depends on what type of skating your do. IF you go for gnar all the time yeah, it will take a toll on your knees. Technical skating(ledges,mannies) isn't that much pressure on your body. Stevie Williams said in an interview '' I like watchin' guys skate a 12-14 stair, they only get a couple of tries, ya know? They break the boards...take hard falls...most of it takes a 2-3 days for them to get the trick they want. I dont like that skating..i like skatin for a couple of hours..maybe 4..Thats why my shit on point on ledges and manuals n shit.''

Also look at mark gonzales, he's like fuckin 40 and still skates. just not stairs or rails. Chet Thomas is like 30-32 and he's still killin it. Hell fuckin tony hawk still kills vert and bob burnquist. Most skaters as they get older start skating alot of mini and pools cause it isn't much pressure on your body.

Mainly, take care of your body, and work out, get strong muscles and your bones and joints will last a lot longer.

Last edited by DVSskater42; 07-17-2007 at 10:44 AM..
DVSskater42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #23
A1skater

A1skater refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTWO View Post
I was just thinking about this.... Skating is pretty new. New as in that there haven't been many people that have died that started skating in the beginning of skateboarding. There has not been a full generation of people that have lived and died in skateboarding yet. (and I don't mean riding a plank, I mean serious skateboarding such as the Z boys). That got me thinking about different athletic injuries in different sports. many athletes have had to have different parts of their bodies replaced because of mass use of that area. for example a batters arm, many batters develop cancer in their arms or have to get their joints replaced. Then that made me think how hard modern street skating could affect our bodies. Think about a simple trick such as the ollie... the constant poping and hard landing. Over and over and over again every day for years to come. I wonder what that does to your joints and bones over say....20 years an up? And what about when you start getting older? Will all modern skaters today be in wheelchairs by the age of 75? What about all the bails too? That HAS to do some damage over time.
I don't think earlier skating had that problem because the high impact flip tricks and ollies were non existent. So around the mid 80's this would have started. I am not against skating of course, no matter what skating does to my body I will continue to do it until I die or am unable to. In ten years will Chris Cole and Eric Koston have major health problems? And I am not really worried about it I was just thinking about it and wanted to post it.

DISCUSS
I'm an older skater (30) and just started skatin again after a 15 year layoff. The first thing I notice after I skate, is that my knees feel really achy and they have moments of weakness. Sometimes when I'm walking up steep stairs or an incline they buckle for a second. I'm in the health care industry so I do know how to rehab my knees and what supplements to take reduce pain and encourage strength in the knees. But there is no way around aging; your cartliage and joints begin to wear out, especially from repeated injuries. The only advice I can give you is stay in good shape, do strength training and eat fairly healthy.
A1skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #24
jayboy_1122
Respected User

Location: a place where i am the only one who takes skating as it really is
jayboy_1122 refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

exatly what other poeple have said
why would u not skate to stay out of a wheelchair when your 75?
so u can do what?
walk regualry to get some prune juice?
think about it
skateboarding or juice?
u want to have joy when your younger
and um btw
the avrage age for a human is 75
so if skating put u into a wheelchair
and ur 75
thats good enough for me
im still alive!
jayboy_1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #25
4ndyDaEmcee

4ndyDaEmcee refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

But what if you like do stretches and warm up before skating? Does that still damage?
4ndyDaEmcee is offline   Reply With Quote