Quantcast Need Good Advice plz: bowl riding - Skateboard-City Forum
Go Back   Skateboard-City Forum > Skateboard-City > Skateboard-City Talk > Need Good Advice plz: bowl riding
Go Back  

Old 07-05-2010   #1
peace_waves_sunshine

Focus: Just startin' out
peace_waves_sunshine refuses to make a significant post (0-10)
Send a message via Skype™ to peace_waves_sunshine
Question Need Good Advice plz: bowl riding

I'm new rider and haven't got much experience on a "real" skateboard. I've spent a lot of time surfing and own a longboard sk8 but i am ready for more, especially since there aren't many hills or parking lots in these parts.

I wanna be able to ride when there are no waves! There is a park they just built near my house with a pool replica and all kinds of stuff for all levels. First i would like to be able to ride comfortably, make some lines, go fast and get into bowl riding. I am 5'9 140 female and would like to know what kind of setup i should get for my goals and capabilities. Namely what shape/concavity/brand/wood of deck, hardness and diameter of wheels, truck width and type, etc. Oh and i am a poor college student so i don't need any flash, blanks are fine, brands don't mean jack. I want lasting quality for reasonable prices!

Since i am a surfer my main objective is to simulate surfing as much as possible. Perhaps one day i could learn some tricks, but from my understanding that type of riding requires different hardware. Still, i would like to know what ya'll would recommend as far as basic tricks, and would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction for threads regarding such execution.

If you are a surfer/skater and have ideas about what i should need, PLEASE let me know!!!

THANK YOU!~

:D
peace_waves_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010   #2
findicol
Rook'

Focus: All Rounder
Props: 105
findicol refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

Get some bigger, softer wheels and probably an 8.5'' deck as you want to ride bowls. Trucks won't really matter, just get a cheaper pair to fit your budget.
findicol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010   #3
jitheng
Perma Banned

jitheng refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

A beginner for skateboard must learn fro the basic. U may follow underground skater instruction, in his Secrets of Skateboarding to Learning Almost Every Single Skateboarding Trick- In 8 Weeks or Less. Beginner can steal his undisclosed master guide and quickly unlock every single trick that once seemed difficult- even if you have never stepped on a skateboard before! hope U learn all skill as soon as possible.
jitheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010   #4
Daniel_Harry
Respected User

Focus: Just Chillin'
Daniel_Harry is on a distinguished road (10+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by findicol View Post
Get some bigger, softer wheels and probably an 8.5'' deck as you want to ride bowls. Trucks won't really matter, just get a cheaper pair to fit your budget.
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitheng View Post
A beginner for skateboard must learn fro the basic. U may follow underground skater instruction, in his Secrets of Skateboarding to Learning Almost Every Single Skateboarding Trick- In 8 Weeks or Less. Beginner can steal his undisclosed master guide and quickly unlock every single trick that once seemed difficult- even if you have never stepped on a skateboard before! hope U learn all skill as soon as possible.
No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eberg15101 View Post
Everyone needs a bit of grit in their water though... builds character...
Daniel_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010   #5
blankdecksrule

blankdecksrule refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

Get a shaped deck they are good for bowl riding popsicle decks (standard) are fine but flat nosed high tailed boards with wide wheels and trucks are the way to go. Btw soft wheels are what you need. Get your blank deck here blankdecks.com it comes with grip. Blank wheels are the cheapest and blank trucks are cheapest but it wont matter much. Hope this helps
OH almost forgot you probably want riser pads if you dont know what those are you can find them in "Accesories," on the site i showed you.
blankdecksrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010   #6
JackNicholson
Respected User

Props: 1
JackNicholson will become famous soon enough (50+)

for trucks you want ace or independent they turn the best and are overall are very good trucks for wheels just get some soft blank wheels . the deck part just go to a local skate shop and stand on a few decks and see which size appeals to you most
JackNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010   #7
blankdecksrule

blankdecksrule refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackNicholson View Post
the deck part just go to a local skate shop and stand on a few decks and see which size appeals to you most
Support your local shop even if it is zumiez
blankdecksrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010   #8
popwar sk8er
Mastermind

Focus: Tranny Thrasher
Props: 1
popwar sk8er is a jewel in the roughpopwar sk8er is a jewel in the roughpopwar sk8er is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to popwar sk8er

my setup for bowl skating:

dunkees 8.5

generic trucks from ebay (theyre horrible but all i can afford at the moment)

bones stfs 52 mm (im also needing some new wheels)

bearings are bones reds. great for the price.

to sum it up, bowl skating is my favorite. i HATE street. i personally prefer larger boards when skating but that also changes from person to person. hit up a local shop. stand on a few boards. see which one fits you best.
Old 07-24-2010   #9
5:AM Skateboards
Industry Rep

5:AM Skateboards is on a distinguished road (10+)

Myself, I would not go with soft wheels if you are going to riding bowls. Most bowls are hard and smooth, so get some 60mm 99a or 101a wheels, and you will be a lot faster and easier to flow. I'm kinda shocked to see you guys say soft wheels.

As stated ACE or Independent trucks as they turn the best.....ACE turn better then Indy.

Bearings, of course I will tell you Ron's, but if you are on a budget, then go with Bones Reds.

You want a good quality deck, and brands don't mean shit, go with my friend Tim at 5Points Skateboards. He hand makes them and are TOP NOTCH decks. Better then 90% of what you will find in a shop. http://www.fivepointsskates.com/decks2.htm tim can make any shape, and will do it to your specs if you like. Wheelbase, nose length, tail length, over all board length, and width. Up to 9.5" wide is $40, anything over 9.5 is $45.
Old 07-24-2010   #10
SSmeno

Focus: Just Chillin'
SSmeno refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

get some big wheels and get about an 8in. board and trucks as wide as the board and just go cruze around without pulling your front wheels off the ground to turn. just turn leaning the way you want to go like on a longboard.
SSmeno is offline   Reply With Quote