Go Back   Skateboard-City Forum > Skateboarding > Skate Talk > One more Emerica Reynolds 3 Review for good measure
Go Back  

Old 06-20-2010   #1
Chucky

Focus: Grind King
Props: 34
Chucky refuses to make a significant post (0-10)
Send a message via AIM to Chucky
Default One more Emerica Reynolds 3 Review for good measure

So its been a while since ive posted a review, and i noticed that in the only Reynolds 3 review on here that has pictures, (I dont pay attention to reviews without pictures) they shoes were barely skated. So i have decided to actually contribute something to sbc instead of using un-funny memes.

The first-ever vulcanized outsole skate shoe to incorporate heel protection technology, the Reynolds 3 has no stitch lines to blow out in the high abrasion areas, for less chance of Ollie holes.
Sizes: 5-14
  • Designed by Andrew Reynolds
  • Suede, suede with canvas or leather upper materials
  • Padded tongue and collar
  • Hidden lace option for protection
  • Seamless perforated toe cap
  • STI PU Foam Lite™ level 3 footbed
  • System G2™ heel cushion
  • Vulcanized 400 NBS natural gum rubber outsole

So i got this colorway (sorry i dont have an actual picture of the shoe before i skated it)

First Impressions - I got the When i first got them out of the box there were very, very stiff. I ordered them for $30 plus shipping from ubs outlet. I didnt know that the orange material was canvas when i ordered them so that was somewhat disappointing when i first got them, but i soon got over it. I was suprised by how thick and heavy the sole was since most people on this site go on and on about how thin they are and how much they hurt you feet. But i was pretty content with the shoe when i first got it.

Comfort - First i would like to warn you that these run half a size big. Luckily, i knew that and ordered and 8 1/2 instead of a 9. The collar and tongue of this shoe is very padded which made it very comfortable to walk around in. The toe is actually pretty wide, which i wasnt crazy about, but some people like that i suppose. I forgot to mention that the collar of this shoe is really high. It felt to me almost like a mix in between a mid top and a low top shoe, which i really liked.

Breaking them in - These took me a few weeks of walking around in before i was content enough with them to skate them. I dont know if it was just my pair of shoes or if it is all of them but these took a very long time to break in. I tried the mash up technique over and over and i still wasnt content with the board feel until after about 3 weeks of walking around in them.

Boardfeel - Like i said before, it took a long time for them to get a decent amount of boardfeel. I like to really be able to feel my board under my feet when im skating, and at first these fell short of that. After a few days of skating them the boardfeel was alot better, and by the time i was done skating them, it had just enough boardfeel for my liking.

Impact Support - These shoes have a G2 heel cushion, which was very very nice. It also has a level 3 footbed, which had plenty of padding and support for me.

Grip - Probably the downfall of the shoe. Vulcanized emerica shoes have a very shallow tread pattern. At first it grips really nicely but it wears down very very fast.

Lace Protection - Silly Andrew Reynolds, you completely overlooked this didnt you. This shoe has absolutely no lace protection. I foresaw this and superglued my laces, so it wasnt a big problem for me. I still went through a few pairs of laces in the month and a half or so that i skated these.

Durability - Probably the strong point of the shoe. Most people say these tear apart really fast, but people on sbc must flick their tricks in a weird way that rips through suede like wrapping paper on christmas morning, because i skate alot of flatground, and these shoes lasted very well for me. The toecap has three layers: A thick suede layer, a cloth layer under that, and then a hard canvasy shell under all of that. In the time i skated these, i never actually ripped a hole all the way to my sock. The ollie area isnt as strong however.The stitching between the toe cap and the ollie area ripped and formed a small hole. But overall, i was very impressed with the durability.

Click the picture to make it bigger
Sorry for the webcam pics

Overall Skateability - These shoes skated very very well. I skated manual pads, ledges, flatbars, and medium sized sets with these shoes and they skated well throughout all of it. They had enough boardfeel for technical tricks and enough support for skating stairs. I really really liked the way these shoes felt and skated

Overall - I was very content with these shoes and will definitely be copping myself another pair in the future. I would definitely recommend giving these a try, just remember to order half a size smaller.
Old 06-20-2010   #2
Made In China
Respected User

Focus: Just Chillin'
Props: 41
Made In China is just really niceMade In China is just really niceMade In China is just really niceMade In China is just really niceMade In China is just really nice

I believe that they come with STI level 1. I might be mistaken though, but I know the Reynolds Classics come with STI level 3.

Great review, I'll putting this shoe on the list of shoes I might get. How long did you skate them for?
Made In China is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010   #3
Chucky

i skated them for about 6 weeks
Old 06-21-2010   #4
DVS Skater
Respected User

DVS Skater will become famous soon enough (50+)

My last pair of Reynolds tore on me within like 2 weeks. One of my favorite skate shoes, though I've gone through like 3 pairs. Actually, lemme find a pic of the one pair I had and how they looked after a month.

Edit: Yeah I found a picture of them.

Last edited by DVS Skater; 06-21-2010 at 06:12 AM..
DVS Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010   #5
Chucky

wow, are those canvas?
Old 06-21-2010   #6
JSK

Focus: All Rounder
Props: 7
JSK needs a little spanking to redirect themselves!

Nice review dude, I'm thinking about getting a pair
JSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010   #7
Colemanisawesome

Colemanisawesome refuses to make a significant post (0-10)

My R3's sole started to fall off at the end of the first month. I loved the shoes but it sucked to do an ollie off a drop and then the sole falls off on me and landed straight on my bare-like foot.

And then my francis lo's started to do the same, so then I got my Es bobby worrests and I'm loving them.

Colemanisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote