Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Title

Default .:ULTIMATE OLLIE GUIDE:. Answers to all your ollie problems!

This in-depth guide will teach you everything about a ollie, one of the first tricks you will ever learn, and one of the tricks which you will keep improving. This guide will teach you about it, from the history, to the actual trick. Learn the terms in the glossary

The History

The Ollie was invented by Alan Ollie Gelfand in 1978. The highest ollie ever done that was actually recorded was by Jose Marabotto (From Hardlife). It was 50 inches. Here is a link(Thanks to Hardlife) The highest ollie
    The Position

The first thing to talk about when olling is position. This is a good position when olling.( :: F ::B) If you just started you should
    have your front foot like 4 milimeters closer to the nose. Get a feel for a position that is comfortable. You should bend your knees very low like you’re squatting.

How to do the ollie

1. The number one step for the ollie is get the positioning down. Look at the positioning topic above.
    2. Push the tail down with your back foot and lift it as quickily as you can (The Pop). You should jump alittle bit to get more air.
    3. While you are jumping slide your front foot on the side. (Left foot slides on left side and so on.) Slide all the way to the bolts. The the contact between the foot and the nose should bring the tail up by a lot.
    4. Bend your knees for the land. Both feet should be on or close to the bolts.
    5. Now ride away and feel like a pro.

Learned the ollie? Try these tips
    1. When popping the board jump and suck your knees up as much as you can. The pros can suck their legs up all the way to their chests for high ollies.
    2. Pop really hard and jump, the jump will drag the board up if you popped very high.
    3. Try other variations of the ollie including the ollie north (Position your front foot more to the nose and ollie as regular. Your front foot should come off the board), the ollie body varial (Ollie and then jump off the board spinning 180 on the air), and the ollie 180 (Put your back foot on the edge and ollie but spin around 180 degrees. There are more like the ollie to manual.
    4. Practice olling over, onto, or off stuff if you are really good.
    5. And lastly try practicing shifty ollies (Ollie and jump forward or backward). This will help you a lot when doing 50-50s.

Tips if you are doing not so well

1. If the board is flipping over, try placing your front foot alittle bit more front side
    2. If the tail is not coming up (which is called a rocket ollie), try practicing dragging. When popping, pull your back foot up as quickly as you can like touching a stove.
    3. If you land on the nose and slip, try placing your front foot alittle more closer towards the tail.

Glossary
    1. THE POP: The most important part of the ollie. This determines how high your ollie is. The better pop you have the better ollie you will have. The pop requires your back foot snapping up right after you hit the tail. You will have to jump and lift your back foot to clear the tail from hitting your foot.
    2. THE DRAG: The second most important part of the ollie. Dragging makes the board level out. Dragging is probably the hardest part to learn of an ollie. Many beginners are doing rocket ollies (see number 4 in glossary). You gotta lift your back foot right after the pop for your drag to do anything. The drag has to slide on the side of your shoes which will be damaged! If you are dragging all the way until the nose you are not dragging on the side of your foot! Don’t be afraid and you will get it! I promise!
    3. Ollie: This is the Fking trick we’ve been talking about the whole time! It is the jump of the skateboard. Finally you can get some air off flat ground! Just read the Fkin’ article and learn all about the ollie.
    4. Rocket Ollie: This is the bad ollie you don’t want to ever meet. Very VERY Common among every single beginner. This is the ollie when your nose flies up but your tail raises like 1 inch off the ground. Correct it by DRAGGING And SNAPPING YOUR LEG UP WHEN YOU POP!!

OK THAT’S about it! Ask me any questions. If this guide helped you please give me some rep points. Thanks!
    Last edited by maudamaster; 03-01-2006 at 08:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thizzle
    Im a stupid thizzle!!!!
    My setup:
    Deck:Wavelines Blank
    Wheels:Spitfire 53.5 mm
    Trucks:Independent stage 9
    Bearings: Luckys abec 3
    Griptape:black magic
    Hardware:silverados

99.9% of children 10-15 have moved to country. If you are the few who stayed with rock and rap put this in your signature.http://www.skateboard-city.com/messa...ad.php?t=34044 <<Need help olling??
    http://www.skateboard-city.com/messa...d=1#post494704<<<Power slide maybe?

Title
    Perma Banned

Nice Copy+Paste. It's good that you're trying to help people though.

Title
    Banned
    I am gay all I wanted to be a was mod now all I care about is being posive about things

Quote Originally Posted by maudamaster
    This in-depth guide will teach you everything about a ollie, one of the first tricks you will ever learn, and one of the tricks which you will keep improving. This guide will teach you about it, from the history, to the actual trick. Learn the terms in the glossary

The History

The Ollie was invented by Alan Ollie Gelfand in 1978. The highest ollie ever done that was actually recorded was by Danny Way (or Wainright).

The Position

The first thing to talk about when olling is position. This is a good position when olling.( :: F ::B) If you just started you should
    have your front foot like 4 milimeters closer to the nose. Get a feel for a position that is comfortable. You should bend your knees very low like you’re squatting.

How to do the ollie

1. The number one step for the ollie is get the positioning down. Look at the positioning topic above.
    2. Push the tail down with your back foot and lift it as quickily as you can (The Pop). You should jump alittle bit to get more air.
    3. While you are jumping slide your front foot on the side. (Left foot slides on left side and so on.) Slide all the way to the bolts. The tail should lift up by a lot.

1. When popping the board jump and suck your knees up as much as you can. The pros can suck their legs up all the way to their chests for high ollies.
    2. Pop really hard and jump, the jump will drag the board up if you popped very high
    3. Try other variations of the ollie including the ollie north (Position your front foot more to the nose and ollie as regular. Your front foot should come off the board), the ollie body varial (Ollie and then jump off the board spinning 180 on the air), and the ollie 180 (Put your back foot on the edge and ollie but spin around 180 degrees. There are more like the ollie to manual.
    5. And lastly try practicing shifty ollies (Ollie and jump forward or backward). This will help you a lot when doing 50-50s.

1. If the board is flipping over, try placing your front foot alittle bit more forward.
    2. If the tail is not coming up (which is called a rocket ollie), try practicing dragging. Ride into a ledge. When you are about to touch the ledge ollie and put your back foot off. Drag your front foot and see if the tail is coming up if it is and you still can’t ollie, when popping, pull your back foot up as quickly as you can like touching a stove.
    3. If you land on the nose and slip, try placing your front foot alittle more closer towards the tail.

Glossary
    1. THE POP: The most important part of the ollie. This determines how high your ollie is. The better pop you have the better ollie you will have. The pop requires your back foot snapping up right after you hit the tail. You will have to jump and lift your back foot to clear the tail from hitting your foot.
    2. THE DRAG: The second most important part of the ollie. Dragging makes the board level out. Dragging is probably the hardest part to learn of an ollie. Many beginners are doing rocket ollies (see number 4 in glossary). You gotta lift your back foot right after the pop for your drag to do anything. The drag has to slide on the side of your shoes which will break! If you are dragging all the way until the nose you are not dragging on the side of your foot! Don’t be afraid and you will get it! I promise!
    3. Ollie: This is the Fking trick we’ve been talking about the whole time! It is the jump of the skateboard. Finally you can get some air off flat ground! Just read the Fkin’ article and learn all about the ollie.
    4. Rocket Ollie: This is the bad ollie you don’t want to ever meet. Very VERY Common among every single beginner. This is the ollie when your nose flies up but your tail raises like 1 inch off the ground. Correct it by DRAGGING And SNAPPING YOUR LEG UP WHEN YOU POP!!

OK THAT’S about it! Ask me any questions. If this guide helped you please give me some rep points. Thanks!
    highest ollie is jose batto or whatever 50 inches

Title
    Perma Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hardlife
    highest ollie is jose batto or whatever 50 inches
    Yeah the highest ollie was by Jose Batto. I think this kid means the highest vert ollie. Thats where Danny Way holds the record. I think it was like 24.6 or 26.4 feet.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by BushPushesMongo
    Nice Copy+Paste. It's good that you're trying to help people though.
    yes i copied and pasted from microsoft word. It took me like 15 minutes. I read off other peoples ollie articles and got the idea for the glossary. I didnt copy and paste from other ppls tho. And i didnt copy other ppls stuff
    Im a stupid thizzle!!!!
    My setup:

99.9% of children 10-15 have moved to country. If you are the few who stayed with rock and rap put this in your signature.http://www.skateboard-city.com/messa...ad.php?t=34044 <<Need help olling??

Title

The History

The Ollie was invented by Alan Ollie Gelfand in 1978. The highest ollie ever done that was actually recorded was by Danny Way (or Wainright).

The Position

How to do the ollie

3. While you are jumping slide your front foot on the side. (Left foot slides on left side and so on.) Slide all the way to the bolts. The tail should lift up by a lot.

2. Pop really hard and jump, the jump will drag the board up if you popped very high

1. If the board is flipping over, try placing your front foot alittle bit more forward.
    2. If the tail is not coming up (which is called a rocket ollie), try practicing dragging. Ride into a ledge. When you are about to touch the ledge ollie and put your back foot off. Drag your front foot and see if the tail is coming up if it is and you still can’t ollie, when popping, pull your back foot up as quickly as you can like touching a stove.3. If you land on the nose and slip, try placing your front foot alittle more closer towards the tail.

Glossary
    2. THE DRAG: The second most important part of the ollie. Dragging makes the board level out. Dragging is probably the hardest part to learn of an ollie. Many beginners are doing rocket ollies (see number 4 in glossary). You gotta lift your back foot right after the pop for your drag to do anything. The drag has to slide on the side of your shoes which will break! If you are dragging all the way until the nose you are not dragging on the side of your foot! Don’t be afraid and you will get it! I promise!

Don't do number two in the "tips if you are doing not so well section.
    I did that and I couldn't stop and was afraid to put my back foot on when I tried to ollie
    beanerific

Title

Sorry, i changed it
    Im a stupid thizzle!!!!
    My setup:

Title

I DID NOT FkING COPY AND PASTE!!! Why are people thinking this???
    Im a stupid thizzle!!!!
    My setup:

Title

Anybody need help or have any comments?
    Im a stupid thizzle!!!!
    My setup:

Title
    Banned
    I am gay all I wanted to be a was mod now all I care about is being posive about things

Anybody need help or have any comments?
    ok can put the highest ollie video up there to here you gohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqSin...20inch%20ollie

Title

Quote Originally Posted by hardlife
    ok can put the highest ollie video up there to here you gohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqSin...20inch%20ollie
    Thanks for the video:smile:
    Im a stupid thizzle!!!!
    My setup:

Title

Anybody else? Please comment
    Im a stupid thizzle!!!!
    My setup:

Title
    Banned

that is a nice guide

Title

any more comments????
    Im a stupid thizzle!!!!
    My setup:

Title

good, but do u have tips for olleing higher while riding?

Title

Umm, what happens when you ollie while riding? Or you just cant do it?
    Im a stupid thizzle!!!!
    My setup:

Title

i just dont get very high. no problems tho. do u have to concentrate more on sucking up your back or front leg more? so, which leg do u have to liftto get higher?

Title

Dont drag as much because the force of the pop while moving makes you go higher and if you drag too much you will fall more easily. Right after you pop just suck your back leg up as fast as you can like touching something hot. Remember, after pop snap your leg up very high.
    Last edited by maudamaster; 03-01-2006 at 05:38 PM.
    Im a stupid thizzle!!!!
    My setup:

Title
    Respected User

nice

Title

...pull your back foot up as quickly as you can like touching a stove...
    hey! i remember sayin that....sumthin similiar anyway....i mentioned a stove and the reaction of ur hand,....but idk if u put that in...its not like i am copyrighted or sumthin.....oh but really very nice guide....could get stickied if u improve in detail....( i am not sayin the detail is bad)...the thread about ollieing by zetnie was detailed but during 2 weeks, he managed to get it stickied....same can happen here

Title

Quote Originally Posted by skateme
    hey! i remember sayin that....sumthin similiar anyway....i mentioned a stove and the reaction of ur hand,....but idk if u put that in...its not like i am copyrighted or sumthin.....oh but really very nice guide....could get stickied if u improve in detail....( i am not sayin the detail is bad)...the thread about ollieing by zetnie was detailed but during 2 weeks, he managed to get it stickied....same can happen here
    Thanks! Ya i heard someone say something a about a stove before so i put that in!
    Im a stupid thizzle!!!!
    My setup:

Title

soo,how can i get it stickied?
    Im a stupid thizzle!!!!
    My setup:

Title
    I Blame Hofmann

ask a mod. what i did was ask him what he thinks of it and if it can get stickied. his reply, ok, its stickied.

Title

whos a good mod to ask?
    Im a stupid thizzle!!!!
    My setup:

Title
    I Blame Hofmann

i dont know. not vivica, lff, or slapdown, they seem mean. I asked Skt8bird.