Title

Default Wheel bite! Options?

I just got my first board at 36 years old. My trucks are pretty loose and I like the control that it gives me. I did a roll to fakie up a small quarter pipe and when I was steering the board on the way down I got some wheel bite and stumbled a bit.
    From what I gather, risers are an option but I'd need new hardware (no big deal there) but are there any downsides to that?
    I can also do smaller wheels but then I may have issues there? I don't know much, so any advice would be appreciated!appvalley tutuapp tweakbox
    Last edited by ReedLawson; 02-08-2020 at 09:01 PM.

Title

Default Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by ReedLawson View Post
    I just got my first board at 36 years old. My trucks are pretty loose and I like the control that it gives me. I did a roll to fakie up a small quarter pipe and when I was steering the board on the way down I got some wheel bite and stumbled a bit.
    From what I gather, risers are an option but I'd need new hardware (no big deal there) but are there any downsides to that?
    I can also do smaller wheels but then I may have issues there? I don't know much, so any advice would be appreciated!appvalley tutuapp tweakbox
    Hey Reed,
    I don't roll to fakie, but if you like loose trucks, try some 1/4" - 1/2" risers. Yes, you'll need new hardware (1 1/4" or 1 1/2" appropriately). All this is really based on the skater's preference and what kind riding they are doing. Some like a lower center of gravity, none to small risers (1/8"). Most modern skaters doing tech tricks ride this way. Height is considered a "downside" as it affects technical riding pop and maneuverability. Many transition, vertical, and carving style skaters want some height to avoid wheel bite. This type of riding is usually done with larger wheels for speed which is also a factor. You need to experiment based on preferences and style. Find some OG riding an old school set up at the park to try it out or buy some new gear if possible. There are lots of YouTube videos on this subject as well. I'm no expert but I love this stuff and just recently started skating again after almost a 30 break. - BOG

Title

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn OG View Post
    Hey Reed,
    I don't roll to fakie, but if you like loose trucks, try some 1/4" - 1/2" risers. Yes, you'll need new hardware (1 1/4" or 1 1/2" appropriately). All this is really based on the skater's preference and what kind riding they are doing. Some like a lower center of gravity, none to small risers (1/8"). Most modern skaters doing tech tricks ride this way. Height is considered a "downside" as it affects technical riding pop and maneuverability. Many transition, vertical, and carving style skaters want some height to avoid wheel bite. This type of riding is usually done with larger wheels for speed which is also a factor. You need to experiment based on preferences and style. Find some OG riding an old school set up at the park to try it out or buy some new gear if possible. There are lots of YouTube videos on this subject as well. I'm no expert but I love this stuff and just recently started skating again after almost a 30 break. - BOG
    you could wax the parts u get wheelbite in

Title

Harder wheels. Waxed wheel wells. Weight distribution.