Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1

    Title
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    9

    Default My dad just told me I'm too old to start skating (I'm 18)

    Brief backstory, I get a lot of shit from my family because I stopped learning to drive before exams and never got back into it, so they think every time Im trying something new is a diversion to not going back to driving. The backstory to wanting to skate is that I've always thought it was cool and I feel it would help get my mind off of not having an apprenticeship yet dkt nsw . I'm in the UK on a small town, so there's not many skaters at all, can't even recall the last time I saw one. The skatepark is usually filled with complete dicks so I don't think they have a good reputation at all.
    I showed him one on amazon and he said that I'm 18, not 12, and should be riding motorbikes instead.
    From a UK standpoint, is it considered weird to skate?
    Last edited by HenryBraxton; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:03 AM.

  2. #2
    Milo's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Final Destination
    Posts
    6,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryBraxton View Post
    Brief backstory, I get a lot of shit from my family because I stopped learning to drive before exams and never got back into it, so they think every time Im trying something new is a diversion to not going back to driving. The backstory to wanting to skate is that I've always thought it was cool and I feel it would help get my mind off of not having an apprenticeship yet. I'm in the UK on a small town, so there's not many skaters at all, can't even recall the last time I saw one. The skatepark is usually filled with complete dicks so I don't think they have a good reputation at all.
    I showed him one on amazon and he said that I'm 18, not 12, and should be riding motorbikes instead.
    From a UK standpoint, is it considered weird to skate?
    No way. There are people way older than 18 that start skating. If you want to skate do it homie.

  3. #3
    StarcraftLedZeppelin's Avatar
    Title
    Chronic Discontent
    Join Date
    Apr 2071
    Location
    I am not going there to die, I am going there to find out if I am really alive
    Posts
    29,257

    Default

    He thinks skateboarding is for children, in a way he's kind of right it's a childs toy. Doesn't mean you have to drop it when you turn 18, I am 32 and have been skating since I was like 13.

    He won't be able to dictate what you do your entire life, so start making your own decisions and if you end up paying for the board yourself then so be it.

  4. #4
    Buddig's Avatar
    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    No way. There are people way older than 18 that start skating. If you want to skate do it homie.
    Never too late to skate.
    I am 69 years old and started skating 4 years ago when I was 65 years old.
    It's unusual and they (on google) call me "Denmark's oldest skater"
    It's never to late to skate.

  5. #5

    Title
    Webmaster / Founder
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    gone
    Posts
    932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post
    Never too late to skate.
    I am 69 years old and started skating 4 years ago when I was 65 years old.
    It's unusual and they (on google) call me "Denmark's oldest skater"
    we missed you Henning

    you're an inspiration to us all

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •