Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Title
    I Blame Hofmann

Default How to Ollie and Ollie Higher w/ Problem Help

The ollie is probably the most basic of all skateboard tricks. It is where your board goes in the air, levels out, and land. It is also probably the most easiest trick too, but takes some time to learn.

OLLIE VOCABULARY

SETUP-foot placement

POP-to push down on the tail hard to do most basic tricks, also, this is the POP sound you hear when a trick is being performed.

DRAG-to slide your front foot up the board on an angle, or on its side.(left side-regular/right side-goofy)

LAND-to land(duh)

HOW TO OLLIE

SETUP
    Put your front foot in the very middle of the board or you can adjust it a bit, and so your toes aren't sticking out, and put your back foot right around the very edge of the tail, and put your toes down in the middle of the tail, so your heel is hanging partway off and so your pinky toe is on the very edge of the tail. Make sure you are on the balls of your feet.If you do not like your footing, adjust it a bit until its comfortable.

POP
    After your feet are setup, get relaxed. When you're relaxed, bend down and push down on the tail(this is the pop). Make sure it's a nice, clean pop so you can get some height. But remember to make it a hard one!

DRAG
    While you're popping, start dragging your front foot up the board on it's side, so its on an angle. If you're goofy, the right side of your foot should be dragging against the griptape. If you're regular, the left side should be dragging against the griptape. Your drag of your front foot should stop right around the front bolts. Also, while you're dragging, jump and suck your knees up very high, lifting your back foot(hardly at all so you can barely notice it) to let the wheels go in the air.

LAND
    When you're at your highest point, level the board out by leaning forward a little bit, so your nose is equal in with the tail in height. After you level out, start trying to level your weight to the center to make a clean landing. To know you made a good landing, your back foot should be right around the tail and the front foot should be somewhere near the front bolts. It should also feel comfortable when you land.

COMMON PROBLEMS
    One problem could be the board is flying out from under you somewhere. If so, try leaning the direction the board is going a bit.

Another problem might be your landing it, but it's sketchy and not level. Don't move your shoulders while your in the air, and jump higher for more time to level out your board in the air. Try holding your hips so you don't twist. After you do that, your problem would probably be fixed!

If you have any more problems, message me or reply back.

OLLIE HIGHER(how to get a bit higher)

TRY THIS AFTER YOU CAN OLLIE GOOD AND CONSISTENT because these are harder to land, and after you get used to landing a regular ollie, try getting it higher by these tips:
    Instead of putting your front foot in the middle of the board, try moving 1/2" back or so towards the tail, also, the only way that will help is if you drag higher to get your ollie higher. Also, pop your board down really hard, and jump higher, lifting your back foot up to let the back wheels go in the air. THIS MIGHT TAKE A WHILE TO PRACTICE, SO DON'T EXPECT TO BE LANDING THESE RIGHT AWAY, BUT IT DOES HELP!

EDIT:TIPS FOR OLLEING STAIRS
    SETUP:
    Place your back foot like a regular ollie. Put your front foot straight across the board like regular, but move it up so it's about 2-2 1/2" away from the front bolts.

POP
    When you get towards your target, start to pop. Pop when you are close enough so that when you go down the back wheels don't hit the stair(s).

AIR
    When you pop, do the exact same motions as a regular ollie and drag till you get about to the front set of the front bolts. Sorrt of tweak(bone) it a little bit so the board goes a little farther.

LAND
    Now, know that you are going to land and if not, I don't know. When you are about to land on the ground, start bending your knees and get ready for impact! Land!

OLLIE WHILE RIDING
    SETUP:Place your back foot as you would a regular ollie. Your front foot should be setup the same way as olleing down stairs.

BEND AND POP:Start to bend as a regular ollie. Then pop harder and FASTER than you usually would. Also don't be intimidated by the speed you're going at. After you pop, do as a regular ollie and suck your legs up really high.

LAND: After you are in the air, and you're at the highest point of your ollie, stomp down with your feet. Make sure you don't twist or bring your legs off either!

HOPE IT HELPS....GOOD LUCK!!!
    Last edited by zetnie; 08-17-2010 at 05:59 AM.

Title
    Banned

Cooly-O.. I think it will help some people, I dont know. But it looks ok.

Title
    I Blame Hofmann

Anyone else?

Title

cool, i got a little higher, but w/ more practice, ill get higher.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) <-------------- Bunny Shall Die!!!!lol
    ('')_('')

SETUP:
    Deck: Zero 3 Skull w/ Blood Black
    Trucks:Monster-Silver
    Bearings:Zero Black Widows ABEC7
    Wheels:Zero Bloody Skulls 52mm

Title
    I Blame Hofmann

bump bump

i got higher

Title
    I Blame Hofmann

did it really help u? can i get rep?jk...hope it helped

Title
    Still <3's Skateboarding

a little more organized and more in-depth and that would be pretty good. you got the concept though

Title
    I Blame Hofmann

anyone else like it?

i dont get how to drag ur front foot, i got every thing else down cept that

Title
    I Blame Hofmann

I think I know what you mean, and if it's what I think, I'll try to help.

Stand while you're not on your board, so your feet are normal. Tilt your foot to the left, like so it's on it's left side, and the bottom of the shoe is facing the right. That is what I mean by on and angle, so when you drag, drag up on an angle like that.

If that's not what you mean, tell me what you mean. But if it worked or helped, also tell me.

i mean like just drag it towards the nose right? i think i get it thanks

Title
    I Blame Hofmann

yeah, but drag till you get around the front bolts.

Title
    I Blame Hofmann

Bump

Title

Question

hey..sup.......
    ...when i ollie, i pop hard and drag and ya know the rest..
    ..BUT when i pop, i dont get a really hard pop..
    ..u see, i look at other ppl ollie and look at their back foot...
    ...they push their back foot down and release the foot before the tail hits the ground....
    is this real......if u dont understand what i am sayin...
    i am sayin that they push the tail down....but jump before the tail hits....is this right...cuz i do the same and find that i only go 1-2/2-3 inches high...
    ..thanx for helpin and thanx in advance :confused:

Title
    I Blame Hofmann

well, try it where you pop and after the tail hits the gropund then lift your back foot up. it might not work for you, but ive been skating for 2- 2 1/2 months and i can ollie 1 foot high. i pop, then right after(split second or not even a second)i release my back foot. tell me if it helps, or if you have any other problems tell me please!

think this can get stickied?

Title

this can DEFINATELY get stickied................
    i have no other problems....thanks for helpin
    THIS HELPED A LOT...thanx

..but..do u lose balance when u ollie like that?

Title
    I Blame Hofmann

when u first try it you lose balance, but once you practice it for a little(couple of hours or a day)and youll get used to it.

Title

thanks a lot man.......i wanted to give more rep but it doesnt allow me to give it to one person more than once for a long time......well anyway....u rock...u have great advice

Title

Skateme (I'm Zet's bro by the way) sometimes you might lose your balance trying to release your foot imediatley. Sometimes i release right away, sometimes i just wait till it hits to pop. I seem to get higher with releasing before the tail hits tho. I guess it all just depends on how you pop. lol...pop and release...lmfao. sorry =p
    ---online name is Kippness ADD ME!

-----fuck ya!!!

--gamertag is Temujim556 ADD ME!

YOUS IS A DIRTY MUDDA FUDGA!

Title

wow.we didnt know that....not

Title

Quote Originally Posted by Dr4g0nSk8t3r
    Skateme (I'm Zet's bro by the way) sometimes you might lose your balance trying to release your foot imediatley. Sometimes i release right away, sometimes i just wait till it hits to pop. I seem to get higher with releasing before the tail hits tho. I guess it all just depends on how you pop. lol...pop and release...lmfao. sorry =p
    thanks a lot man.....zetnie and u make some good teachers.....
    oh and dudette....shut up....this is for 'help' not for bein an asshole

Title

my back leg (the one i pop with) doesnt seem to come up, when i try and ollie. any help?

Title

Get in the gym and do a shitload of pyrometrics. The better you can explode off your pop the higher your tricks are generally going to be. Its all explosion, just like throwing a shotput or tackling someone in football. Try relating your ollies to something you are already good at that uses explosion. Maybe if you enjoy baseball, what makes the ball go far? Opening your hips and exploding at the right moment.

Title

uuumm, ok