Title
    Respected User

Default Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

I had never really played the game, a bit here and there when I was younger. I've played basically all the TH games, including gameboy, think the only few I haven't played are the one for the motion one for DS and mobile variants, but I digress.

I think American Wasteland could be one of the worst of the mainline series, and absolutely the worst one produced under Neversoft. My favorite TH game of all time is Thug 2, seeing as American Wasteland came right after and was developed under Neversoft I was certain is was going to be a dope time, but man was I wrong. It feels like I'm sludging through this game. The characters and locations thus far are uninteresting and unmemorable, I'm sure the level design is a byproduct of the no-loading map(which actually is pretty legendary), but there is more pressure on having a wide open world than creating memorable levels. School, Airport, Skatetopia, Canada, these are levels that everyone remembers, these are what made levels of the TH series great, so far, I've got none of that, and not only that, they recycled some songs from THUG 2 into AW, but they are covers?? There are very few songs by original artists on it. Who at Neversoft decided that we wanted to have a cover of "Sonic Reducer" on this game when it was just in the previous installation? I'm racking my brain on that one.

Anyways, wanted to vent a bit, wanted to hear some opinions. I'll leave off with a small TH series top 5

1. THUG 2
    2. THPS3
    3. THPS4
    4. THUG
    5. THPS2
    HM: Proving Grounds (actually pretty underrated)

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    I had never really played the game, a bit here and there when I was younger. I've played basically all the TH games, including gameboy, think the only few I haven't played are the one for the motion one for DS and mobile variants, but I digress.

I think American Wasteland could be one of the worst of the mainline series, and absolutely the worst one produced under Neversoft. My favorite TH game of all time is Thug 2, seeing as American Wasteland came right after and was developed under Neversoft I was certain is was going to be a dope time, but man was I wrong. It feels like I'm sludging through this game. The characters and locations thus far are uninteresting and unmemorable, I'm sure the level design is a byproduct of the no-loading map(which actually is pretty legendary), but there is more pressure on having a wide open world than creating memorable levels. School, Airport, Skatetopia, Canada, these are levels that everyone remembers, these are what made levels of the TH series great, so far, I've got none of that, and not only that, they recycled some songs from THUG 2 into AW, but they are covers?? There are very few songs by original artists on it. Who at Neversoft decided that we wanted to have a cover of "Sonic Reducer" on this game when it was just in the previous installation? I'm racking my brain on that one.

Anyways, wanted to vent a bit, wanted to hear some opinions. I'll leave off with a small TH series top 5

1. THUG 2
    2. THPS3
    3. THPS4
    4. THUG
    5. THPS2
    HM: Proving Grounds (actually pretty underrated)
    Edit: looked into it after my rant and it seems a lot of people feel the same way.

Title
    blunted in a 600

I had THPS 1-4 and kinda fell off the bandwagon for a bit after that, missing THUGs, but American Wasteland was my shit. I remember playing it obsessively, even just cruising around. That was my Christmas 2005. That break - our summer break - seemed to go on forever that year.

Looking back now the gameplay was probably kinda average but I actually loved the soundtrack. True the maps were small but they were pretty cool. From what I remember it was the first Tony Hawk game I played that had spine transfers, which changed everything. The Santa Monica level was probably my favourite one

THPS 3 was probably my fave for the game alone. Hearing Blitzkrieg Bop fire up as you'd drop into the Foundry... iconic

AW was my favourite associated with memories/nostalgia though

The next best fun I had was Skate 1 and 3. I tried to get into subsequent Tony Hawks after AW but didn't find them compelling
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post
    decide it - go for it - live it - just do it - fake it to you make it - if you can dream it, you can do it.

Skate, do strength training, eat healthy things, keep yuor mind healthy, open and clean, (don't fill it with bad news)
    Let the young people inspire you...
    / Henning
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    I want to enter college looking sexy as fuck for the ladies.

Title
    Respected User

I didn't really get into a lot of the newer games but played a lot of THPS3 and the original on emulator back in the day.

Title
    Writer of Street Poetry

oh man for me it had to be THPS4 as the best. Super surprised to see thug 2 at the top of your list Milo though I do agree about Wasteland being one of the worst...feel like it lost its magic by then. top 3 for me would be

1) THPS4
    2) THPS3
    3) Thug

Thug gets a special mention for having chad muska roll up in his musklade and having to impress him for one of the challenges haha

Title
    A shitty island in Greece where skate spots dont exist and you get kicked out 24/7 pls kill me <3 :)

Grew up on THUG 1 and 2, best shit ever really.
    I kinda liked THAW when I was younger but in all honesty it's a pretty shit game by a lot of aspects
    I doubt there'll be another TH title to top off THUG 2, tbh
    Proving Ground was actually pretty dope as well. I had the demo in my PS3 but It just got deleted by itself. It was pretty nice but never bought it.
    I had a burned PS2 copy, as well. It felt different from the classic TH game but not in a bad way.

shittherewassupposedtobeacommaonmyusername

Title

was that the one with bam margera?.. if so, meh it was aiight, no complaints.

Title
    Respected User

American Wasteland was the last THPS game I owned, I have fond memories of it but even at the time I remember thinking it couldn't compare to THUG1 / THUG2. Pretty sure AW is where the "Hey! Skate rat!" line comes from though, which I still quote.

Title
    Writer of Street Poetry

Quote Originally Posted by baker2g View Post
    was that the one with bam margera?.. if so, meh it was aiight, no complaints.
    lol I'm pretty sure Bam was in all of them

Title
    blunted in a 600

Quote Originally Posted by The_Q View Post
    American Wasteland was the last THPS game I owned, I have fond memories of it but even at the time I remember thinking it couldn't compare to THUG1 / THUG2. Pretty sure AW is where the "Hey! Skate rat!" line comes from though, which I still quote.
    Lol yeah it is, one of the bums says it
    decide it - go for it - live it - just do it - fake it to you make it - if you can dream it, you can do it.

Skate, do strength training, eat healthy things, keep yuor mind healthy, open and clean, (don't fill it with bad news)
    / Henning

Title
    Respected User

this is such a bad opinion. wasteland was awesome. the series was dead after it though. project 8 was terrible and proving grounds was bad too.

the first four are the best, in any order, but after that i'd even put wasteland over the underground games.

Title
    guru again

Thps1 got me into all the music that I'm into now. I got a tattoo of the birdhouse falcon 3 graphic on my chest 'cause of that game.

Title
    blunted in a 600

everyone is someone, in LAAAAAAAA

/ Henning

Title
    A shitty island in Greece where skate spots dont exist and you get kicked out 24/7 pls kill me <3 :)

Project 8 was garbage. I remember renting it once cuz nostalgia for the PS3 and I literally played 2 minutes after character customization and returned it.
    Proving Ground was decent, as far as I remember. I used to have the demo version on the PS3 but it just disappeared one day.
    But again, I remembered Project 8 as decent too.
    Everyone should download ThugPro and host a SBC session, it's a dope af mod.

shittherewassupposedtobeacommaonmyusername

Title
    blunted in a 600

I just want Skate 3 without having to buy an Xbox or Ps3

/ Henning

Title

I loved all the Undergrounds and AW when I was younger. All the soundtracks are iconic to me. I played Proving Grounds much later in life and found it alright but by this time all of those games lost their magic to me, even the classics.

Rooster Cockburn: Club of Cool Kids member and overly-zealous COCK worshipper