Title

Default Returning to skateboarding after a long absence

I'm not really a beginner but I thought it was more appropriate to post this here. I used to skate in the 1980s - did so for about 5 or 6 years. And now I'm getting back into it. I'm making the transition very gradual - refamiliarising myself with the basics on flat ground. I'm not trying any of the tricks that I used to do for the time being - they can come later. Overall, my progress has been okay more or less. Though I seem to have good days and not so good days. Hate to say this but sometimes I find kick turns to be a little tricky in terms of balance. Especially if I try and turn a large amount. Of course back in the 80s, kick turns were dead easy for me back then - I could do them without thinking. However, currently, when I tic-tac, they become really easy and pretty much automatic - almost like I hadn't been away from skating for long. Though just lately, it seems like some of the bad habits are returning from about a week ago when I first got back into skating. And that is the board almost shooting away or tail dragging when I try a single 180 degree kick turn. I thought I was improving because I haven't suffered that off balance thing in about a week but looks like the habit is coming back. I know everyone's different but is normal to regress like this? Just hope I can improve again and make every kick turn perfectly balanced again. I'm usually fine with short kick turns. It's the longer radius kick turns that I sometimes have balance issues with.

Title

I should add that when I'm moving and using kick turns to navigate around obstacles, I'm fine. It feels really natural - not much different to when I riding in the 80s. It's the stationary big radius kick turns (like 180 etc) that I sometimes have balance issues with. By the way, back in the 80s, I could do 360s and 540s and at least once a 720. Though at the moment, the most I can turn is 180 degrees.

I also seem to have a bit of a balance issue when doing a backside leaning turn (putting weight on my toe-side edge.) Other than that, my riding is fine for the most part. Except power slides are really clumsy. So far, Ive been riding mainly on flat ground but soon I'll try riding down a bank and see how I go with that. A little later, when I feel ready, I'll try the local skate park which has shallow concrete transitions. Back in the 80s, I used to ride a big wooden half pipe ramp but that seems like a distant memory.

Title

Today, I tried doing some acid drops off a small step - a trick that I have not done for many years. I thought it was going to be dead easy. By memory, that was one of the easiest tricks that I could do in the good old days. Man, was I wrong! They are so hard! My first attempts were not successful. The challenge I'm having is the balance - keeping the front wheels off the ground for so long. Thinking back to the 80s, I thought I recall only having to keep the front wheels in the air very briefly with decent speed. However, doing them now, it feels like I have to keep the front wheels raised for an eternity. A really long time. I admit I don't have a big space for a run-up but I'm pushing off reasonably hard.

Part of the issue might be the state of my bearings. They are ancient. I don't think they've been replaced since the 1980s. So they're probably affecting my speed. When I took this old board out of storage over a week ago, the back wheels were really stiff. After a fair bit of use, they have loosened and roll properly. Though obviously, they are nowhere near as good as new bearings.

Regardless, after many attempts, I was able to do acid drops successfully. But only just. I still find it challenging having to keep the front wheels raised for so long. Though I guess there's a bit of an advantage to using an old board with aged bearings for this particular trick. It's going to force me to train harder and improve my balance. I am planning to get new (complete) skateboard soon and by the time I'm riding that one, acid drops should be quite easy.

Title

I guess nobody frequents this forum anymore?

Title
    Respected User

I've skated on and off for the whole time I've been a member here. I never got decent at tricks (never managed a kickflip). Generally, jumping on a board still feels pretty natural to me. Give me 5 mins of pushing around and I can ollie, shuv-it, etc. decently well, even if I haven't skated for months.

I am not sure what kind of advice you're looking for here, but I don't think you'll find any people that skated in the 80s. My general advice is to just keep doing what you're doing, seems like you're improving already. Also, do get a new board and get used to it. I still am unclear on what an "acid drop" is - is it a boneless off of something or is it just riding off the edge?

Title

I got the name 'acid drop' from a book on skateboarding I had from the 80s. Though I guess different people have different names for the same trick. It's basically rolling off a step with the front wheels raised which should of course be dead easy. Yea I'm okay with most the basics. Tic-tacing came back to me really quickly straight away. When I tic-tac, it's like it's automatic - almost like I haven't taken a break from skateboarding. Though I'm finding ollies really hard...even though I could ollie over gutters etc in the 80s. My ollie attempts are very inconsistent. Many are terrible but some are half decent. I don't know if it's luck but I managed to do two really good ollies in a row during one practise session but none of the later attempts have been anywhere as good.

Yea I'm practising every day and Ive just ordered a 9 inch complete board. I know 8.25 boards are very popular these days but I recently stepped on to an 8.25 in a skate shop and I found it way too narrow for my liking. I guess I'm used to the really wide boards of the 80s. Plus there was huge overhang with my feet on the 8.25 with my toes and heels sticking way out. On the other hand, I didn't want the bulk and weight of the 80s boards. I wanted something in between so I thought a 9 inch board might be a good compromise.

Title

Woops - double post.

Title
    Respected User

Yeah, I'm sure it's a very different ecosystem out there now in terms of skateboarding. But do whatever you feel comfortable with. Back in the day, the Ollie trick tip right here on SB-C was helpful for me to read through here and there. I'm not very good at learning new things - it took me like 6 months to be able to ollie somewhat comfortably on pavement - but once I learn them they tend to stick with me. Probably like tic-tacs for you.

Title

try sum balance exercises and whatnot off the board