Title

Default First skate at 31 y.o.

Hey. I finally moved out of ghetto to a nice town where I can skate. It took me too long and now I'm kinda old for beginner. And now I'm gonna ask some stupid questions. Like:

1. I have no idea what board size should I get. My height is 5.6 ft, my feet size is 9.5 (is it US size? dunno. it's 26 in cm).
    2. Please suggest quality wheels and tracks for a beginner. Do wheels differ in terms of softness? I don't want them to be noisy and I don't want my board to vibrate into my feet constantly because of asphalt pimples. Cuz arthritis (jk).
    3. Do I need a helmet? Never stood on a skateboard before. At first I will just skate on flat concrete, then I'll try some ollie, then some kickflips and stuff - max. Do I need a helmet on this level? Or is it only for guys who's doing stairs and ramps?
    4. The most important question. What brands will look good on a 31 y.o. guy with beard and a beer belly? And what brands are for little kids?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Maestro Magnifico; 02-07-2018 at 10:23 AM.

Title

1. Size 8 should be good start.
    2. Spitfire or Bones I guess are good not too soft maybe in the mid 90 for the hardness but nothing over 100
    3. You can wear a helmet if you want if you feel comfortable doing so. If it gets in your way then just ditch it. When you fall just try and stop yourself from smashing your head on the ground.
    4. Any brand is fine as long as you know which is which. Even if you don't as long as its a brand name then youre good. I'm 32 and I enjoy NHS brands (Santa Cruz, Creature, Flip). I am currently riding a Deathwish board but after that is done I have a Primitive deck lined up. Just go with the teams you like.
    360 Flip!

Title

Thanks. What about suspension trucks? Does it affects your skating in any way, or I can just buy any kind at descent price?
    I think I won't buy a helmet for now, gonna save some money on more comfy protection for elbows and knees. Hope I won't leave my brains on the concrete by just doing circles around fountain on a city square. That would be embarrassing way to die.

Title

I never rode suspension trucks but I don't see any use for them. Just regular brand name trucks are fine. You should be able to find a descent pair of trucks online at sale price.
    360 Flip!

Title
    Respected User

Out of curiosity, what country are you in? Italy?

Title

never too late! never a better time to start