Default Getting back into it!

So I'm getting back into skating after having at least 4 years out. (Tore my ankle ligaments twice like a moron which put me off)

I'm purchasing a new set up currently. I picked up the Indy stage 11 lows 149 this morning, and have some Bones STF 54mm on the way. Now, I usually skated a 7.875" or an 8". But...

When did boards get so wide? I'm seeing 8.5" as the new 7.75" on some websites, its crazy.
    Noob question I know, but just haven't been in touch with skateboarding lately!

I'm super stoked to get back into plank pushing!

Title
    Rook'

They first got wide in the 1970's-80's then everyone wanted super skinny boards in the 90's and early 00's now people realize you can ride whatever you want in size/shape etc and do whatever you want on it

Title

I think the appeal in wider boards is more chance of landing on the board, but the downfall is that the flick seems to suffer somewhat. I imagine it'd be a sweet deal for gaps, and transition stuff, less ideal for flatground and ledges. I like 7.75's, but I would try an 8 or 8.25 sometime to experiment with.
    Bearings: Bones swiss ceramics
    Deck: Tactics emblem II 7.75
    Grip: Mob M-80
    Shoes: DC Kalis lite
    Trucks: Krux downlows
    Wheels: Bones moffart 52mm

Title
    Rook'

larger boards work perfectly fine for flip tricks and ledges, sure double flips are harder, but they are still very doable.

Title
    olwXcrew

a wider board does take more effort to flip as opposed to a smaller one but flip tricks are still very much doable.

8.25 seems to be the sweet spot for a lot of people, good balance between board width for stability and still light enough for flip tricks to be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by DontHateJustSkate View Post
    a wider board does take more effort to flip as opposed to a smaller one but flip tricks are still very much doable.

8.25 seems to be the sweet spot for a lot of people, good balance between board width for stability and still light enough for flip tricks to be easier.
    That's what I'm curious about; the flippabilty of the board itself. I guess I'll try an 8+" board and hope for the best!

Title

I just got my first setup in a really long time and went with 8.375. I was never good at skating and I think it was because I never practiced just riding around and learning to control, so I'm hoping a wider board will help me stay more stable. We'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by mtskate View Post
    I just got my first setup in a really long time and went with 8.375. I was never good at skating and I think it was because I never practiced just riding around and learning to control, so I'm hoping a wider board will help me stay more stable. We'll see...
    How do you rate that width?

Title

I haven't been able to try it yet but hopefully Monday. I think no matter what size I got that I'm going to have a tough time learning at first, but at least there's more room for error.

Quote Originally Posted by mtskate View Post
    I haven't been able to try it yet but hopefully Monday. I think no matter what size I got that I'm going to have a tough time learning at first, but at least there's more room for error.
    Let me know your thoughts on it. Would like to hear multiple options before grabbing my board this weekend.

Title

My friend had an 8.25 that I used a little bit when I first got back in to skating, and ever since then I can't skate anything much less. I do have a mini board in my quiver but it's seen use about once lol. Even an 8.18 was strange feeling but was still very skateable. If you have 149's you should go atleast a little above an 8 but that's just my opinion. The extra width should not bother you with fliptricks too much considering I've watched people tre flip my cruiser board no problem and it's a 9.

Title

I use to ride 7.75 but when I came back to skating I went to an 8.1 and it was good. I went up to an 8.2 and at first I thought it was too big but when I jumped back down to an 8, which I am skating right now, it just sucks because it feels too small. I think from now on I'm just going to stick with an 8.2 or higher. I would recommend to just start at a little over an 8 first time around and then you can jump back down the second deck and compare what you think may be best for you in between. I skated with a 19 year old the other day and he told me that 8.5 is the perfect size. I think I might try that out one day.
    360 Flip!

I ended up grabbing the Chocolate Jerry Hsu 'Palette Series' in 8.25". So sick.
    Set up the grip, and put the trucks on ready for my wheels and bearings to come Friday.