Title

Default I've been skating for 2 freakin years and I still suck.

Ok so I can only do ollie,fs 180, barely bs 180, shove it, fs shove it , fakie bigspin, 1 out of 30 tries kickflip,sketch as fuck boardslide,drop in, and 50-50 on a curb. Oh and I cant even ollie off 2 stairs. Why am I progressing SOO slow? I know it sound like I should give up but I don't want to I wanna skate and become better. I know I should just go out,skate and practice but it is really hard and frustrating that I skate every damn day and still suck as hell and I don't have anyone to skate with and I skate in garage so that pretty much sucks. I can't even commit to tricks. I landed a kickflip about 1 and half month ago and I can't land it anymore because board goes behind me and spin thousand times for god's sake what is wrong with me?
    Last edited by ElliotAlderson; 09-02-2017 at 05:46 AM.

Title
    Respected User

Watch a lot of trick tips and keep skating. I have been skating for 10+ years and I am not very good at all compared to many of my peers. It's fun to go out and learn new stuff though. Just gotta stick with it. Film yourself and see how you could possibly improve on what you are doing. You will get there my guy, all of us have been there. Also I can tre but I cant BS 180 to save my fucking life so now worries. I used to be able to back heel when I was a teenager but lost that when I stopped skating for a while.

Title

I've been learning tricks for one year now that I got back in to skating, and I'm worse than you. Be creative man, you don't have to be a god at fliptricks two years in. Unless you're a very natural athlete and pick it up easy like some do, you're most likely gonna have a long period of "sucking" until you feel your skill levels good enough. Don't compare yourself to others, just think of new tricks and skate within your limits.

Title

If you're having trouble doing stuff it means you're pushing yourself to progress which is a good thing. Try to remember to just cruise around and have fun though instead of getting mad.

Also I'd happily swap with you. I can ollie a 2 stair but I can barely even shuvit and can't do any fliptricks at all.
    ~Leaf

Title

What works for me is to make a list of tricks easiest to hardest, and just work down one at a time til it happens. Film your practices(to watch and study later on), experiment with variations in technique, and most of all don't skip too far ahead - go for the trick until it happens before moving onto the next. That way you'll have a good foundation built up when you do step it up to the harder stuff, and you can iron out any weaknesses early on. If you can't ollie a 2, ollie on and off curbs over and over until you've got it down. When you can't do bigger stairs after this, repeat that same principle - look for smaller obstacles and jump them over and over. Practice them until you have consecutive landings, and bails become less and less.
    Bearings: Bones swiss ceramics
    Deck: Tactics emblem II 7.75
    Grip: Mob M-80
    Shoes: DC Kalis lite
    Trucks: Krux downlows
    Wheels: Bones moffart 52mm

Title
    olwXcrew

i've been skating on and off since roughly 09 and for how long i've been skating i'm pretty shitty compared to other people, i struggle with some basic flatground shit like back 180s, heelflips, even my kickflips arent great. define "sucking" at skating - compared to what? compared to some flatground 548537853flip whizkid? some insane tech ledge skater or tranny ripper? i've never been keen on flatground tricks and trying the same trick over and over and over for hours on end isnt my cup of tea, i just let things come to me and go from there.

Title
    Perma Banned

Nibber, I have skated for 9 years (began at 9) and I have not progressed much. Can land a fs flip amd varial heelflip on a nice day, which is rare for me. Keep progressing and improving fam.

Title
    \_(ツ)_/

If you're not having fun you don't have to do it.

Title

I've been skating for two years and all I can do is ollie, fakie ollie, barely shuvit, ollie on and off curbs, revert, go up ramps, boneless, and older school kickflip. You're good man, way better than any skater in my whole county lol.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by the_unknown_soldier View Post
    If you're not having fun you don't have to do it.
    But I really enjoy and love skateboarding I just want to progress and I don't wanna hear from others that I suck after 2 years. And at least one time hear that I'm good at this.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotAlderson View Post
    But I really enjoy and love skateboarding I just want to progress and I don't wanna hear from others that I suck after 2 years. And at least one time hear that I'm good at this.
    A lot of people in England can be negative about shit, especially skateboarding for some reason. Try not to let it get to you, and surround yourself with positive people if you can.

You're progressing fine, fakie bigspin and front shuv are pretty nice tricks to have down dude.
    ~Leaf

Title

I was the same way when I was skating. I haven't attempted to skate in at least 7 or 8 years and just getting started again. Looking at youtube videos I found https://www.youtube.com/user/sprocker7 and I think the reason I was so bad back then was because I never learned how to just cruise around on a skateboard and never felt comfortable on one. On that youtube channel they talk about how important it is to actually be able to ride a skateboard, because it'll make everything easier once you do. FWIW my plan is to go to empty parking lots and skate parks and strictly learn how to cruise and slowly work toward tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotAlderson View Post
    Fuck what other ppl say and think. The skate community seems to be really toxic and cliquey, at least amongst the younger ppl. I would say a bigspin is pretty impressive. And if you're enjoying it - and you say you are - it doesn't matter if you know 5 tricks or 105. I'm 41 and started skating again maybe 5 months ago after a 27 year break. I told myself even if all I could do is tic tac and kickturn and ride around, it was better than sitting inside playing video games all day every day, being out of shape (for the record I can do more tricks than that, but that's not what this is about). So at least you're active, unlike the majority of youth who are addicted to media.

Quote Originally Posted by s197richie View Post
    Fuck what other ppl say and think. The skate community seems to be really toxic and cliquey, at least amongst the younger ppl. I would say a bigspin is pretty impressive. And if you're enjoying it - and you say you are - it doesn't matter if you know 5 tricks or 105. I'm 41 and started skating again maybe 5 months ago after a 27 year break. I told myself even if all I could do is tic tac and kickturn and ride around, it was better than sitting inside playing video games all day every day, being out of shape (for the record I can do more tricks than that, but that's not what this is about). So at least you're active, unlike the majority of youth who are addicted to media.
    This.

My advice to the OP is to try to find other people to skate with at a local park if that is feasible. It's like playing music, you get better playing with others.