Title

Default Correcting my stance?

hey, beginner skater here. i recently purchased a really bad entry-level (Kryptonics) board on a whim after thinking it'd be fun to teach myself how to skate. the bearings are ABEC-3s. anyway, i've been attempting to get the basics of kicking and pushing on the board, and while i can do that just fine and balance myself, i have trouble commiting myself to putting my second foot on the board. when i do, two things happen: 1) i'll get my second foot behind the board but it'll be too close to my first foot and the board will roll out from under me OR 2) i'll actually get my second foot behind the board just right but my body and toes will be leaning to the left in an attempt to balance, which steers me left until my wheels come to a stop. i skate goofy and the trucks are loose. i'm also a heavier guy (5"9' and 245 lbs) and while unlikely, it may have something to do with the problems listed above. also, the right-side wheels of the board only roll for a second and the left-side wheels roll for an even tinier amount of time, idk if that factors into anything. are there any exercises or practices i can do to better commit my second foot to the board and also retain my balance?

p.s: please do not suggest a new deck or trucks. the most im willing to do is buy new Bones Reds, which im planning to buy this week

Title
    Respected User

Maybe tighten your truccs a bit? Also can you balance on the board just standing still on hard ground? That's not a bad way to get comfortable with what your board tends to want to do in relation to your body movement. Take your foot off, put it back on, etc. I would guess your foot positioning problems are caused by you losing balance while attempting to push. Also always try to keep your center of mass over the board.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by cheese_wigger View Post
    Maybe tighten your truccs a bit? Also can you balance on the board just standing still on hard ground? That's not a bad way to get comfortable with what your board tends to want to do in relation to your body movement. Take your foot off, put it back on, etc. I would guess your foot positioning problems are caused by you losing balance while attempting to push. Also always try to keep your center of mass over the board.
    yeah, i can balance just fine while standing on the board. now that you mention it i do tend to lose balance while kicking off. i'll also remember to keep my center-mass over the board. thanks for the tip.