Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Title
    Respected User

Default IT nerds and Cyber Virgins unite!

Hey people

Long time no see, wanted to check the site out again and try to be a bit active here again.
    All in all after some time i ended up at a Uni for IT in and wanted to see if anyone else here is into Coding,SysAdmin stuff and anything else.<br>I think this could also be a hub for some Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk stuff. If anyone else is into that type of thing haha
    I'm now like i said working on my bachelor in IT(Specifically Economical-informatics. Big data, statistics and a lot of other things) and i finished a few courses on Python,C/C++ and generally just self-taught myself about computers,networks and such.

What are you people up to? You guys got a github?

Title
    Ain't Nothin But A Peanut

I work with databases and just accepted a job as a programmer but it's using Adobe AEM so just minor java and js. Mostly xml

Title

did someone call saw the thread name lmao. been working with C++ program last year for my enginnering program nothing serious tho
    .................................................. ..................................

Title

I have done tons. In the last year I spent a ton of time with Win32 C++ and made a game. I know C++, PHP, Mysql, HTML... etc...

I just got back into webdesign and have been trying to put a site together.

anyone on stackoverflow?

Title
    kind of respected user

I kind of want to buy some books and teach myself some basic coding just because i think it'd be a useful skill to have at least minimal knowledge in. i just haven't done it yet. not sure which language would be the best to start with/most useful.

Title

The way I started was first created a website and then got into PHP. HTML/CSS isn't really programming but it kinda gives you a feel.

PHP was a great way to learn because you could test things out on a server without compiling and could create website stuff.

C/ C++ alone is fun to learn but you can't do much with until you get experienced. Same with Java.

There are a lot of places to learn online and get help... just depends on what you want to do. To learn it you are going to be making something... so it just kind of depends on what you want to make.

I would even personally help you if you did get into programming... I am not expert but I know a lot and have been doing it for over half my life.

Title
    Webmaster / Founder

You can do plenty with any OOP language as a beginner, itll just be clunky and unsophisticated

Really just depends on your interests though and what you want to do with it. No need to buy a book either; plenty of shit on YouTube, MIT OCW, code academy, etc.

I just started self teaching the AP cs curriculum in highschool which is really just basic algorithm conception / implementation, debugging (99% syntax error) and making really basic stuff like calculators or queueing programs.

Haven't been doing much recently though outside of js; wanted to learn some server side stuff in node but mostly coded a lot in screeps (which is a lot of fun if coding AI is an interest, but it costs $20 or something through steam, or you might be able to play for free on their website)

Anyway I think java/c/js/python are all easy to get into, just a matter of what you want to learn or do. But learning basic sorting algorithms and the like is a critical early step imo

Title

Nice.

And what I meant was your programs will all be console programs... nothing very cool.

Title
    Respected User

Stopped going to college after two years in Software Dev. Don't really want to do anything computer related but probs just gonna stick with it and go back for a degree. Coding is a hell of a lot better than delivering pizza.

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Stopped going to college after two years in Software Dev. Don't really want to do anything computer related but probs just gonna stick with it and go back for a degree. Coding is a hell of a lot better than delivering pizza.
    Find something you want to program and learn until you can make it. Try then to make a bigger "problem" or something you want to make on a larger scale.
    Rinse and repeat.
    If that, the nice feeling of creating something +money isn't enough then you should think about another degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudopi View Post
    I kind of want to buy some books and teach myself some basic coding just because i think it'd be a useful skill to have at least minimal knowledge in. i just haven't done it yet. not sure which language would be the best to start with/most useful.

I started with some c++ because i wanted to study in advance for my uni. Afterwards i was doing a lot of python, because that would work the best for my needs.
    Def would recommend to start with python. You can make from web-apps to just scripts. You can make a game with python for android,ios,linux,mac,windows,... Almost anything you need can be done with it. + It basically translating english to 9GAG english haha

Buuuut then you come to a problem, on a very large scale it can come to processing problems and it just being too slow. Until you come to that point you're already gonna be a IT wizards apprentice, then you will be ready for the true ways of the dark magic of the binary.

Quote Originally Posted by Anderson17 View Post
    did someone call saw the thread name lmao. been working with C++ program last year for my enginnering program nothing serious tho
    i have no clue what you mean with the first part of the post xD C++ is always good, nice blend of a object oriented language and something low level as C/Assembly. cin,cou > printf,scanf(though i use the c typed presentation of input/output in python)
    Last edited by imnikola; 07-17-2017 at 05:20 PM.

Title
    Respected User

I do like it and I did a lot of shit in my highschool days but I dont want a desk job like that really. Freelance could be nice but not much money there

Title
    kind of respected user

Quote Originally Posted by imnikola View Post
    Find something you want to program and learn until you can make it. Try then to make a bigger "problem" or something you want to make on a larger scale.
    Rinse and repeat.
    If that, the nice feeling of creating something +money isn't enough then you should think about another degree.

I started with some c++ because i wanted to study in advance for my uni. Afterwards i was doing a lot of python, because that would work the best for my needs.
    Def would recommend to start with python. You can make from web-apps to just scripts. You can make a game with python for android,ios,linux,mac,windows,... Almost anything you need can be done with it. + It basically translating english to 9GAG english haha

Buuuut then you come to a problem, on a very large scale it can come to processing problems and it just being too slow. Until you come to that point you're already gonna be a IT wizards apprentice, then you will be ready for the true ways of the dark magic of the binary.

i have no clue what you mean with the first part of the post xD C++ is always good, nice blend of a object oriented language and something low level as C/Assembly. cin,cou > printf,scanf(though i use the c typed presentation of input/output in python)
    yeah python seems like it's probably what would be the most useful for me to learn.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    I do like it and I did a lot of shit in my highschool days but I dont want a desk job like that really. Freelance could be nice but not much money there
    thats why you become a contractor for state government programs. Make stupid amounts of money working from home and on probably easier projects then the private sector. Somewhat irks me a contractor makes 3x my pay for the same work but. Experience I guess

Title

I've heard Python is good for data mining.

Title
    Mr Shithole
    I am not going there to die, I am going there to find out if I am really alive

I wanted to do IT stuff but I found it so boring I stopped.

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by StarcraftLedZeppelin View Post
    I wanted to do IT stuff but I found it so boring I stopped.
    Yep. What are you doing now?

Title

I find the challenges fun to work through but people are really stupid sometimes and make my days way harder than needed

Title
    Mr Shithole

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy View Post
    I find the challenges fun to work through but people are really stupid sometimes and make my days way harder than needed
    I worked for my county and realized the huddled group of morons who run my county are a bottle neck to progress, they will need to die off before we can make any different changes.

Kind of demotivated me in terms of the field, my ideas didn't matter if the people running the show are outdated but still in demand.

Title

Yeah I definitely understand that. Even the old timers at my spot seem hip to new changes

Title
    Mr Shithole

Plus with Microsoft being local here, we are practically forced into using their software. I asked about swapping our servers off M$ and it wouldn't happen, I asked about ditching office and they were like yeah we're obligated to use their software.

It wasn't even like we're given the software free either, can't use other software yet still have to purchase M$ shit.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the county I was working with was in the process of a huge company merger.

It was like 3 years into the merger of King County and Metro, so about 50% of the work place there was going to be let go and it was kind of sad people I worked with said they just showed up every day not sure when they will get fired.

It's going to happen but the organization is so bad that it's just long and drawn out.
    Last edited by StarcraftLedZeppelin; 07-20-2017 at 08:02 AM.

Title

tech jobs always seem so volatile. my cousin works for Apple and he's like, "ya every project i worked on got canceled or downsized. i wish i could see something i worked on see the light of day." i was like, that sounds awful. what's the point of working if at any time management can just cancel everything and make it all a waste? blegh, it makes me nervous just thinking about it
    loud black girls - wait what
    india songs
    "hell is other people" - the same guy who said "kissing a man without a mustache is like eating an egg without salt."
    "hell is also yourself." - r. crumb

Title

Money. So then you have money to do what you really want.

For me me I can't really make money doing what I want (at least not a lot unless I was suuuuuper good). So here I am

Title

I picked up Java and C++ pretty quickly. Java's a great way to get into it. Debugging is fucking crazy but it feels great when you figure out the basics on your own. Idk the basics just clicked with me in my head after being taught a certain way. What I'm really interested in getting into is stuff like DX12 and of course my own projects in Unreal. The more complex shit isn't easy but I still love this stuff so far. Want to get into some gtk and other things for GUI in C++, but I just have some basic shit on my github rn. Same as codepen. Maybe I'll post some things here after I get them out of my head in to a framework.
    You can can do some pretty cool stuff with web programming, but games are basically all I'm interested in. Maybe make some synths too ahah.

Linux is tight >-> but I got my rig set up as a Windows 7 machine, and am gonna stick with that until support is dropped in 2020 lmao.
    Shit I want to do a lot with programming, even translating old games that never came out in English. Although that's more hex manipulation, I'm just not there yet in terms of knowledge.

Title

I just started the most baby of all programming jobs, I would never label myself as a programmer. Maybe in a couple years. I do like SQL though

Title

I'd like to collaborate forsure. Game dev is gonna be my focus, so that'd be great imo. Unreal allows you to customize animation branches pretty easily given implementation. It takes time but maybe I might have that time. Just got college and work to worry about.