Title

Default Ollie always sideways and/or upside down

Hi guys, new to the forums :)

I started skateboarding (well just cruisin' for now) after a long break, around 16 years ago i skated for about 2 years (i'm 33 now), and i always had these issues with ollies. I could land them in my 20-ies but i always landed them a bit sideways, i think i never landed a completelly straight ollie. Now with my cruiser board and this long break, it goes sideways like never before, and there's no way i can land it.. most of the attempts look like this one from the video (sorry for portrait :))

https://youtu.be/hrBw7_IP2G0

I've read all the things, that i should be leaned forward a bit, that my shoulders should be square etc etc but nothing seems to work.. Is there anything obvious that i'm missing or it's just 'do it till you land it', i'm pretty discouraged now, not that i tried it like a month straight, but a few days... I need to at least be able to ollie over small curbs, that would be amazing :)

Any help is appreciated, cheers.

Title
    Outside youre Local Vapour and Eciggerate Store

Your sliding your foot diagonal your foot needs to be straight and slide straight up the board vertically

ようれ あっっ ふぁっごっ

Title

Quote Originally Posted by Bone View Post
    Your sliding your foot diagonal your foot needs to be straight and slide straight up the board vertically
    Cheers, yes on this video it's diagonal, i also tried straighting it up and the result is always similar to this.. I'm even holding onto this fence here so that my body is straight..

Title
    Chronic Discontent
    I am not going there to die, I am going there to find out if I am really alive

Post a video of you on a real skateboard instead of a cruser.

Title

If you are keeping your shoulders completely even and sliding completely even and placing your back foot in the right place, this should never happen. The shoulders are especially important... even if you don't think they are flush you might be moving them.

Also doing an ollie when holding onto something will make your ollies weird, because your shoulders wont be flush.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by StarcraftLedZeppelin View Post
    Post a video of you on a real skateboard instead of a cruser.
    So there were no real skaters back in the 70's and 80's? ;) I'm 33 now, haven't skated for 16 years, certainly i won't start with tre-flips and crazy stuff now, i just want to be able to ollie over curbs while cruising..

@Brokenhope

Guess i'll have to keep trying without holding onto something (also read that that's a good thing for keeping your shoulders straight), thanks.

Btw english is not my native language, does keeping shoulders 'flush' means that they are straight, my arms are straight with my body?
    Last edited by BorisLozac; 07-02-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Title
    Chronic Discontent
    I am not going there to die, I am going there to find out if I am really alive

Quote Originally Posted by BorisLozac View Post
    So there were no real skaters back in the 70's and 80's? ;) I'm 33 now, haven't skated for 16 years, certainly i won't start with tre-flips and crazy stuff now, i just want to be able to ollie over curbs while cruising..

@Brokenhope

Guess i'll have to keep trying without holding onto something (also read that that's a good thing for keeping your shoulders straight), thanks.

Btw english is not my native language, does keeping shoulders 'flush' means that they are straight, my arms are straight with my body?
    I am 30 and I have been riding skateboards for about 16 years now, what he was trying to do a trick on was a flat piece of nothing.

You would be surprised the levity concave with a nose and tail can achieve.

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by StarcraftLedZeppelin View Post
    You would be surprised the levity concave with a nose and tail can achieve.
    This old guy also prefers to cruise without cruisers. There's just more control when using a popsicle for all purposes.

Title

Yeah you will have way more luck with a popsicle shaped board.

Title

C'mon guys, people are olliying with Penny boards and stuff..

Title
    Respected User

Yes. I've ollied on all shapes since the mid-80s. That doesn't mean it's a good idea to learn how to ollie on a less than ideal (non-trick) board.

Title

Yeah once you get the hang of the ollie, and are comfortable with it, lots of practice, etc, then other stuff becomes second nature.

Title
    \_(ツ)_/

@Brokenhope

They weren't doing ollies very well, that's for sure.

If you wanna just cruise that's fine, but if you're trying to do ollies or any other trick that involves an ollie you're gonna need a board with some concave.
    Chase Gabor tied a kid down and sodomized him with a screwdriver.