Title

Default Advice on completes for a 9yr old

Hi
    Looking for some advice and hoping you can help me out
    My 9 year old son has got the bug, and Ive promised him a new board, being 9 he's dead certain he wants a Powell Peralta popsicle complete and is more than a little, completely sold by the old school VCJ graphics over any of the specs,Hes just starting out and Im generally good with a complete for his first board, from what decent reviews I can find it seems like a decent beginners set up for the price, Im currently housebound so I'm unable to take him to the nearest skateshops which are some distance away, So Its going to have to be an online purchase,

Just putting this out there for any opinions about these completes, One point is I noticed the setup includes 101a mini logo wheels which are way harder than what I was used to in my youth, He's most interested in Skateparks and some street, we will be moving to an area where there is a great indoor wooden skatepark and some local concrete bowls,
    any advice on whether these 101a's are too hard for a kid starting out?
    Greatly appreciate any help.

Title
    Respected User

I would say they're a little hard, but when you're starting out it doesn't really matter. Also as an alternative to the complete, you could put together a setup yourself (and ask us for advice if need be). Could always get the Powell Peralta decc and customize truccs/wheels/bearings, but it might be a little more costly.

Title

Thanks for the advice cheese_wigger, appreciate it,
    yeah I kinda figured they were pretty hard, but if thats what he learns on I'm sure he will adapt and develop a sense of what suits him later on.

Title

The best place to buy boards online, I have found, is ebay. I don't know if you will find the specific deck you want, but completes are pretty cheap.

Title

This is the complete and where we were planning to order from:https://www.skatehut.co.uk/brands/po...blue_7_625.htm

Title
    Webmaster / Founder

it was definitely advantageous for me to get a real setup when i was younger; since i wasn't skating larger sets or rails or anything a board would last me a long time but it gets a little wonky as you grow for need of a wider or thinner deck and so forth. When i was 4-5 or whenever i started i just had those terrible big box boards in which the bearings would go out way too quickly, trucks would snap for no reason, and the switch to a real deck just made everything feel different. kind of like the difference between renting skis/snowboards as opposed to buying your own.

but any decent setup like that should last a long time, whereas when i was heaviest in to skating in my mid-late teens id go through one almost every month. just be mindful of keeping it dry and as best avoiding chipping the nose/tail (always the first thing id destroy when i was younger)

not sure of the best places to buy online anymore, but if anything has the complete builder tool like ccs did/does, you could probably save money that way getting cheaper parts + building the board yourself is easy and something everyone should learn to do, maybe now or in the future, up to you.

either way looks like a solid enough set up all around