Thread: Discouragement

Title

Question Discouragement

I have been skating since mid 2014 (13 years old). In early 2015, I was able to front 180 a rather large four stair. Two years later, I have come to the same spot and cannot even commit to an ollie. In mid-2015, I was decent at kickflipping stairs and gaps; now I'm too scared to try them down those. Since 2014, my only 'big' accomplishments in skating are learning tres and decent backside grinds. I've noticed that kids who have been skating as long as I have are doing much crazier things than I, which is totally discouraging. I have a few questions:

I. Do you have any tips on conquering high (~6-7ft) drops/large (6-7 stair) stair sets?
    II. Do special insoles/clothing help you committing down drops?

Thank you!

Title
    The Real Folk Blues
    I'm lit like a Branch Davidian I'm what's left of the lithium in Cobain's cranium

I feel the easiest way to kill your motivation for anything in life is to compare yourself to others who are better/ more well off than you are. Skateboarding is what you make it, not what some kid who started after you did that happens to skate exceptionally.

Dedication to falling is going to get you past some of these things you're experiencing, if you're saying you did something at a spot 2 years ago and then you haven't been there since then I find it's normal that you're not instantly able to roll up and dominate it. With a little more time spent there you could probably come back to how comfortable you were there and then work on improving.

If you are gonna work on bigger drops, like loading docks and stairs and street gaps I would invest in any kind of shoe insoles you can find. I had about 3 different insoles that I used in each shoe that I bought as a bonus while still using the shoe insole that came with the shoe.

Title
    Banned

For drops and stairs a few things help, one being music. Another thing is to get used to or start noticing in the air just your board below your feet the entire time just waiting to land on the ground. That is especially for drops. Just get confident that when you ollie the board is going to stay under your feet and not turn sideways or something, all you gotta do is wait for the ground.

But yeah it is infuriating at times when you go back to a spot and can't do anything like you used to.

I was forced to take about 5+ years away from skating and getting back into it has been a huge battle. I lost almost every single grind trick I used to do and even fear the rails.

Just try to have fun, there are few people who can naturally skate and make it look so easy.

Even fewer will ever get to the level of ams/ pros you see in videos.

It isn't about being the best, it is just about having fun, skating whenever you want, and your progression with conquering your goals. Doesn't matter if some dude nollie tre'd an 8 stair that you haven't even ollied. It is still a great feeling to ollie it for the first time, and etc... with everything else.

I think most people have felt the way you do at some point, just keep at it.

You're at a young age, you can improve tremendously in years without even noticing it.

I am 27 and wish I had those 5+ years back at skating, I'd be a beast, maybe, but yeah, just keep at it...

Title
    Rook'

For most skaters, tricks come and go, come back and go again, confidence is the same, Ive ridden for 20 years or so, Ive had months of finding something easy, then suddenly it becomes a nightmare for no reason, just leave it, go back to it when it feels right.

Footprint insole technology makes some really excellent insoles; check out braille's video on them on youtube. I have a pair of their gamechangers which I use along with their heel saviors and it's made a huge difference.

Title

you could throw yourself down some stairs but ultimately your just gonna be doing stuff these kids you are talking about have probably already done. Maybe just learn stuff that feels fun or unique , skate lower shit and work on tech its more satisfying imo.
    I know alot of people who are really good at high impact but they are like 5 trick ponys. It's your path to go down man
    ultimately you just gotta skate with people you admire and progression will happen subconsciously
    i started skating about 9 months give or take before you and i still hate my skating , i didnt stop for longer than a month or two and even though im learning stuff every session it isnt enough. What im saying is everyone who wants to progess will think they are bad to an extent its just a hurdle.

skating is like a never ending to do list

insoles are more like a confidence boost if anything

Title
    The Real Folk Blues
    I'm lit like a Branch Davidian I'm what's left of the lithium in Cobain's cranium

Proper insoles can be a life saver, it's not something to just toss out and be MANLY for the sake of saying you didn't use an insole.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by StarcraftLedZeppelin View Post
    Proper insoles can be a life saver, it's not something to just toss out and be MANLY for the sake of saying you didn't use an insole.
    It really doesn't matter unless you build a quota or depedency on insoles , Haven't bought a single pair deliberately and when they are attached to the shoes ive bought they elevate the shoe making ankle rolls more likely
    They can be good to combat heel bruises but usually those kind of things happen when you make mistakes so you can blame the shoe sometimes.

Title
    The Real Folk Blues

To each their own, I rely on a lot of shoe insoles to prevent foot nerve stuff. Have fun being Fred Flintstone stopping barefoot.