Default What size boards are you fellow old guys running?

I skated late 80s/early 90s when all the boards were about 10 inches wide for both street and ramp. So I ordered a cruiser size complete which is described as "fun", which I equate to "you'll do very little on this thing but ride around." I know Natas and the other street skaters did some pretty impressive stuff on these big boards back in the day. I'm considering getting more with the times and building an 8 inch deck (it would be for both street and park), but it seems weird to have size 10.5 shoes and skate something so narrow. I stand 5'11 and weigh a little over 200 lbs.

So I was wondering if you old schoolers have progressed to the popsicle stick boards or still running the wider ones. For now I've ordered some assorted riser/shock pad heights and some harder bushings to try to make this thing a bit more manageable. In the end I might just order a Powell 8 inch with some Indys and 53-54mm wheels.

Thanks

Title

I just moved from a 8.5 popsicle to a shaped 9 inch model, I love it. I'm 53 skated through the 70ies and beginning of 80ies. Now riding bowls, parks and pipes, it is heaven for guys like me, what is out there to ride nowadays.

Title

8.125 to 8.6 any shape is good but square is hood

Title
    Respected User

Shoe size has nothing to do with it.

I'm 44 and have been riding popsicles for about 6 years, I guess. While it might be fun for a couple of seconds, I can't imagine going back to shaped boards. I cruise and do tricks on the same board. Between 8.1" and 8.3".

Just wanted to follow up. My cruiser was pretty close to razortail and the bushings on the rear truck were cracked pretty badly, so I figured it was time to replace. I had decided on a popsicle, the main reason being the inevitable cost of replacing decks, but also having a wider selection of trucks. Shaped decks start at around 65 bucks but you can get a blank popsicle for around 25. Anyway, skate warehouse had an 8" flip p2 on sale for $35 so I grabbed that along with some theeve trucks (liked the idea of the bones bushings coming standard). I swapped my 56mm powell g-ride soft slide wheels over and slapped on some 1/8" risers to accommodate them, along with some Enjoii rails for boardsliding on the crusty stuff around town.

I must say I much prefer the popsicle. Much more maneuverable; I managed some 180 ollies which isn't much to you young guys but I never even got the shaped past the 90 degree mark.

So anyway if any fellow old guys are still stuck on shaped, remember that nostalgia is the enemy of progress and give a popsicle a shot :)

Title
    ))<>((

I got a 7.81 and people think its small. I will not really skate larger than 8.

Title

8.00 at the moment
    would like to try out a 7.8 or 7.75 as it seems more my type.

Title

I skated the same time frame as you and for my return to the sport I got a 9" shaped Flip deck. It's not too bad, but now I'm starting to think that an 8.75" might be a better choice. My wife has an 8.5 and it seems too narrow for me.

Title
    Banned

I always skate 7.75"'s. I get all my boards off ebay, blanks. About $30 for 2 delivered.
    Last edited by Brokenhope; 05-29-2017 at 02:01 PM.

Title

I have a 8.25 Popsicle and a 10 inch old school Powell from 1990... I like the feel of the Powell better imo.

Title

8.25+ I skated decks between 7.62 and 7.75 for a long time. Bought an 8.5 Magenta deck and it was like coming home.
    "Skateboarding is, was, and always shall be sacred to me...I love it so much I want it to die"-Jason Jessee