Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: apartments suck

Title
    kind of respected user

Default apartments suck

you guys think trash being all over the place outside my apartment building is bad enough to be considered "uninhabitable" so i could get off my lease if it goes to court?

i'm talking like liquor bottles and food trash all over the stair case and used condoms and hundreds of cigarette butts in the grass. i've taken pictures of all this stuff several weeks apart they just don't clean it up. (it's not mine).

i've read the michigan housing law and it says you can break a lease if the property isn't maintained to the point that it's "uninhabitable" but it doesn't really make it clear what's uninhabitable.
    Last edited by Fudopi; 04-05-2017 at 12:54 AM.

Title
    Sendenada SOS

Quote Originally Posted by Fudopi View Post
    you guys think trash being all over the place outside my apartment building is bad enough to be considered "uninhabitable" so i could get off my lease if it goes to court?

i'm talking like liquor bottles and food trash all over the stair case and used condoms and hundreds of cigarette butts in the grass. i've taken pictures of all this stuff several weeks apart they just don't clean it up. (it's not mine).

i've read the michigan housing law and it says you can break a lease if the property isn't maintained to the point that it's "uninhabitable" but it doesn't really make it clear what's uninhabitable.
    Sounds ghetto- I would probably just tell them ima bounce and they would get it and be coo... should they hit you with any bullshit:

You and your girlfriend were accosted by a cracchead on the property. She has been losing sleep since the occurrence and is considering seeking help from a therapist. You no longer feel safe and have been forced to go to ACE hardware to boost up your security levels. You grabbed a piece of conduit and had it cut within an 1/8" fit to secure the window (along with the top and bottom locks), yet you still have trouble sleeping at night.

note: the cracchead had no teeth. It did not stop him from gnawin on all that garbage out front.
    I GUESS MY DANK IS LIKE MY DICC, CUZ IT GOT THE BITCHES CHOKIN

Every damn day I smoke DANK, still I got things on my mind I can't shake

Title
    Ain't Nothin But A Peanut

The note is what seals it. That's a whole new tier of cracchead

Title

You have to give them an opportunity to clean it. I would ask them a couple times then if not document it and leave

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Title
    kind of respected user

Quote Originally Posted by MartyRules View Post
    You have to give them an opportunity to clean it. I would ask them a couple times then if not document it and leave
    I've emailed the property manager about it multiple times and they don't clean it. Maintenance drives around on their little golf cart every day and doesn't do anything about it.

Title

i would say college dorms are better but that would be a understatement
    .................................................. ..................................

Title
    Blatht up on thum Terries

I think uninhabitable = mold, rats, lead paint, etc. I'd actually go with CCH's advice - give a gnarly break-in story about some crack monster and now you don't feel safe in your own home, etc etc.

However, if they are that ghetto to not clean any of that stuff up, they are probably ghetto enough to try and come after you in small claims if you break that lease. Write them a letter (or give an attorney a couple hundo to do it) explaining that you are leaving because of _____ reasons. Give their key back and be professional and polite about it. If you just vanish they will most likely try and sue you.

Title
    kind of respected user

Quote Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    I think uninhabitable = mold, rats, lead paint, etc. I'd actually go with CCH's advice - give a gnarly break-in story about some crack monster and now you don't feel safe in your own home, etc etc.

However, if they are that ghetto to not clean any of that stuff up, they are probably ghetto enough to try and come after you in small claims if you break that lease. Write them a letter (or give an attorney a couple hundo to do it) explaining that you are leaving because of _____ reasons. Give their key back and be professional and polite about it. If you just vanish they will most likely try and sue you.
    It's hard to say if they'd actually take me to court over it or not. My one room mate who just disappeared several months ago kept getting orders to appear in court in the mail here, and we told him about them, he just didn't care. And he got a few more envelopes in the mail from the court after that which may be warrants for his arrest for failing to appear in court but i'm not really sure. I wasn't going to open his mail. The difference between his situation and mine though is he stopped paying his rent in january. If I move out before the end of the month and stop paying rent here they'd be missing out on 3 months of rent from me... which is a lot less than the 7 months of rent they had to eat when the other guy left. so I'm not even sure if it would be cost effective for them to take me to court over ~$1000.

but even if they do take me to court i'm pretty sure I'd win. There's this issue with the trash that i made the thread about, and the other issue is that they keep sending their staff into my apartment and they give me no notice whatsoever. I emailed the property manager about that too (this was all one lengthy conversation), I pretty much just nicely asked them to respect their resident's privacy and give me at the very least a few hours of notice if they're going to be entering my apartment, and the lady basically just told me to get fucked.

She said because they wrote in the lease that they reserve the right to enter any apartment at any time for any reason at all, they can. and they've kept doing it since i asked them not to and i've been recording it. turns out that's actually really illegal, whether you put it in a lease or not it's still illegal. and the law says leases with illegal shit like that are deemed unenforceable and broken.

they really piss me off too because when maintenance does their whole 'show up with no notice' thing there's no way to get rid of them. they knock on the door and if i don't answer they just walk in, if I do answer and tell them it's not a good time or that I don't need any repair work done, they just argue with me until i let them in anyways. Last week they came to my door, the guy said "i have a work order to repair your shower" and I told him "I never put a work order in, and there's nothing wrong with my shower I just used it and it worked fine" and he was just like "well i have this order to repair the shower so i have to come in". it's fucking retarded.

plus maybe it's just me but i feel like used condoms lying around in the grass that's supposed to be a common area is kind of a health/safety hazard. Like i understand the food trash is shitty and annoying but it doesn't technically make the place uninhabitable... but the used condoms outside are fucking gross.

but yeah I'm about to write up a good letter this weekend to tell them that I'll be out by the first of May, tell them the reasons why and drop my keys off. My dad knows a lot about this shit so he's gonna help me make sure it's all good.
    Last edited by Fudopi; 04-05-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Title
    blunted in a 600

I didn't read this message as I'm at work ^

But fucc that shit. Threaten to leave and see what they say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post
    decide it - go for it - live it - just do it - fake it to you make it - if you can dream it, you can do it.

Skate, do strength training, eat healthy things, keep yuor mind healthy, open and clean, (don't fill it with bad news)
    Let the young people inspire you...
    / Henning
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    I want to enter college looking sexy as fuck for the ladies.

Title
    Sendenada SOS

jesus Christ man they are doing so much shady shit- no way they are going to come after you. Your roommate must have owed rent; I didn't know they would take you to court from breaking the lease.... IF you have three months left, tell them to get fuccd and find a new tenant.
    I GUESS MY DANK IS LIKE MY DICC, CUZ IT GOT THE BITCHES CHOKIN

Every damn day I smoke DANK, still I got things on my mind I can't shake

Title
    Respected User

I'd be so annoyed by all the trash, I'd probably clean it up myself and let them pay for it. I don't understand why they can send people over to repair things that aren't broken but not to clean the place. Makes no sense

Title
    Blatht up on thum Terries

Yeah them entering the premises without 24 hours notice is a total lease-breaker in most states. I actually got out of a lease in WA on that same premise. I hate that "we own the place so we'll come in whenever we want" noise. My old landlord was trying to come in less than a week after my daughter was born and it was anything but convenient so we told him no. He came back and tried to get in but I literally held the deadbolt so he couldn't open the lock, and got him on video. Got out of the lease no problem.

I'd definitely draft up a strongly-worded letter citing whatever landlord-tenant law says in your state about them entering your dwelling without proper notice and invading your privacy. Get graphic about the used condoms and just make it seem like this whole experience has caused you severe mental anguish. As long as you leave with the place semi-cleaned up and don't stiff them on that month's rent, you should be good.

Title

i really dont understand the problem cant you guys just leave and find a next apartment?
    .................................................. ..................................

Title
    Village Idiot

They are on contact or lease.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by Anderson17 View Post
    i really dont understand the problem cant you guys just leave and find a next apartment?
    You really have no clue how shit works.

Title

haha nope only apartment i lived in is the one on campus

Title

Quote Originally Posted by Anderson17 View Post
    haha nope only apartment i lived in is the one on campus
    Then you should still have a concept of how it works. It's like having the apartment, but suddenly quitting school, there is consequences for just abruptly leaving usually a big fine or it hurts your abilities to get an apartment easily again

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Title

He lived in a glorified dorm his parents pay for. It's not the same

Title

i actually have to work almost every break i get.iam not some spoiled rich kid you know

Title

Glad they make you work. If you paid for it you'd know how a lease works though

Title
    blunted in a 600

Yeah playing the mental anguish/hardship card should be pretty surefire
    decide it - go for it - live it - just do it - fake it to you make it - if you can dream it, you can do it.

Skate, do strength training, eat healthy things, keep yuor mind healthy, open and clean, (don't fill it with bad news)
    Let the young people inspire you...
    / Henning
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    I want to enter college looking sexy as fuck for the ladies.

Title

thinking of moving into a single apartment when i graduate only plan to pay around 500 a month, iam thinking this should be reasonable

Title

It's not reasonable unless your cost of living is super low or you live in the ghetto. Plus utilities food and other bills. Cost of living is moderately low here and the only 1-1 you'll find for that price is a shithole. 600 is like the starting price for moldy college apartments

Title

well this sucks i need to find a better job iam thinking if i save up now along with my degree i could make something work

Title

The way you express yourself doesn't match the way you physically look in your pictures. Do you have Asperger's, anderson?

Rooster Cockburn: Club of Cool Kids member and overly-zealous COCK worshipper