Title

Default Does this setup seem okay?

deathwish lizard king deck 8.475", Thunder polished highs, bones super red bearings, spitfire formula four 54mms. OR

would it be better to use a DGK 8.5" deck with 8.5" independent trucks? remember, i am just a beginner.

also considering the jamie thomas propaganda Zero 8.5" deck. I want to stick with 149mm trucks so that means i cant go under 8.25" deck.

i know i need a wider than average board just so i can stay on it while i am learning the basics.

8.25" or 8.38" deck with thunder highs would be lighter weight than 8.5" with independents.
    Last edited by 420sk8; 12-11-2016 at 01:18 PM.

Title

8.5 is pretty large, but if that's what you want to try then go for it. Deathwish, DGK, and Zero are all fine, can't go wrong there. As for the trucks, both Indy and Thunder are great. Thunder trucks are lower and turn tighter, whereas indy are higher and wider, and a little heavier. There is no wrong option here. I personally like the top setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the Conqueror View Post
    the only time I ever landed a backside flip down el toro was when a girl was watching
    Gonna be more careful around storm drains from now on.

Title
    ))<>((

Honestly, I'd start at 8.0 unless you have a reason (other than speculation) for 8.5. It may be difficult for you to learn any tricks on something so wide as a beginner. The extra width is probably going to be less noticeable in terms of balance than it will be in difficulty maneuvering the board as a beginner. But hey, I could be wrong.

Title
    olwXcrew

all i skate are thunders on an 8.5 and i love it. as others have said 8.5 may be a little big for you, i found 8.25 to be a good balance between the board being able to flip well whilst still being stable. ofcourse you can still flip an 8.5 but it may make it a little harder especially when you're learning. if you're adamant about having a larger board then by all means go for it, stepping up to 8.5 was one of the best decisions i made.

Title

I know guys who like having big boards like that and stuff, but id recommend the 8.25 as a beginner. 8.5 seems like itd just be kind of hard to skate first starting out, but if youre more into vert and shit, then 8.5 can actually have a lot of benefits. I dont know they both have their ups and downs