• venture

3 23.08%
  • other

3 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Truck height

Title

Question Truck height

Ok so i am gonna be getting a new setup online except for the board cuz im gonna get a shop deck and im having a hard time with trucks, im looking at either independents standards (high's) or thunder hi's (medium-ish trucks?) i already have a pair of indy's and a pair of thunder lo's

i like the Indy standard's cuz i can turn and have bigger wheels but i land tricks sketchy

while on the thunder lo's i can land tricks cleaner but cant turn for shit and i go slower somehow?

i had venture lo's when i started and all i remember is that i didn't slip out and i felt stable

i skate everything (mostly flat ground) and want to learn more tricks, venture hi's are also what im looking at

btw please post why i should go with (trucks you voted for)
    Last edited by Xxmlg_sk8rxX; 12-08-2016 at 10:30 AM. Reason: forgotten info

Title

Bump

Title

Mini Logo with some 1/8" risers and Bones Medium bushings. I shit you not. http://skateboardingismylifetimespor...ks-review.html

Title

Quote Originally Posted by BackInAction View Post
    Mini Logo with some 1/8" risers and Bones Medium bushings. I shit you not. http://skateboardingismylifetimespor...ks-review.html
    aren't those lower than any low truck made?

and also i don't like low's cuz i cant scoop my tres as well (but for some reason my board doesn't fly everywhere on low's :P)
    Last edited by Xxmlg_sk8rxX; 12-07-2016 at 08:11 AM.

Title

Venture hi's are all i skate. I've been skating for over 5 years, tried just about every truck out there and venture is my favorite.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by bloodscab View Post
    Venture hi's are all i skate. I've been skating for over 5 years, tried just about every truck out there and venture is my favorite.
    how are they?

i heard that they turn like shit cuz how the axle placement is

Title

Quote Originally Posted by Xxmlg_sk8rxX View Post
    how are they?

i heard that they turn like shit cuz how the axle placement is
    They turn great. I think the turning is in between Thunder and Indy, which for me is a happy medium. The different axle placement did throw me off a bit at first, but i got adjusted to it after a little while. Most people who bash on venture, thunder, theeve, etc are usually the typical "indys or die" dudes. If you like a high stable truck then get a pair.

Title

They turn great. I think the turning is in between Thunder and Indy, which for me is a happy medium. The different axle placement did throw me off a bit at first, but i got adjusted to it after a little while. Most people who bash on venture, thunder, theeve, etc are usually the typical "indys or die" dudes. If you like a high stable truck then get a pair.
    yea i heard that they do make for a stable ride (even in manuals?) does it being a mid truck (compared to indy) affect you at all? (its been awhile since i rode ventures)

Title

yea i heard that they do make for a stable ride (even in manuals?) does it being a mid truck (compared to indy) affect you at all? (its been awhile since i rode ventures)
    Yeah, manuals are nice and stable on them. And nah, they didn't affect my skating. I never lost any tricks when i switched to the Hi's.

One thing you will have to get used to on high trucks is that you will pop a bit slower due to the tail/nose being higher up. But you'll get adjusted to it.

Title

Yeah, manuals are nice and stable on them. And nah, they didn't affect my skating. I never lost any tricks when i switched to the Hi's.

One thing you will have to get used to on high trucks is that you will pop a bit slower due to the tail/nose being higher up. But you'll get adjusted to it.
    yea i know about the cons of high trucks lol, well it looks like im getting ventures since no one else explained why i should get such n such

(damn headache wont let me type, took an hour to write this)

Title

It doesn't matter what trucks you have. See the upper truck in the picture, this guy has mounted this reverse...

..and see in the video, that he is a very good skater (with the wrong mounted truck)
    I skated in this park about 1 month ago, and although I have perfect equipment,
    I'm not so good to skate.
    / Henning
    It's never to late to skate.

Title

Yes, the Mini Logos are really low - but that's what risers are for. They grind smoother than Indys, are cheaper and lighter. Some people believe that a low truck with risers is more stable than a high truck with no risers. With a low truck, the pivot is closer to the axles which means the hanger stays more centered under the board when turning. High trucks at full turn will have the wheel swing out wider in relation to the deck.

Low trucks with risers also gives you more options for height. Grab a few different height risers and try them out. I run the Mini Logo trucks with 55mm wheels and a 1/10 rubber riser plus a 1/8 plastic one. With 53s I just use the rubber one. With 50-51 I would ditch all the risers.

Did you check out the review I linked to?

Title

Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post

It doesn't matter what trucks you have. See the upper truck in the picture, this guy has mounted this reverse...

..and see in the video, that he is a very good skater (with the wrong mounted truck)
    I skated in this park about 1 month ago, and although I have perfect equipment,
    I'm not so good to skate.
    / Henning
    well damn he is good, and yesterday i actually figured that it was me not the trucks lol

Title

Yes, the Mini Logos are really low - but that's what risers are for. They grind smoother than Indys, are cheaper and lighter. Some people believe that a low truck with risers is more stable than a high truck with no risers. With a low truck, the pivot is closer to the axles which means the hanger stays more centered under the board when turning. High trucks at full turn will have the wheel swing out wider in relation to the deck.

Low trucks with risers also gives you more options for height. Grab a few different height risers and try them out. I run the Mini Logo trucks with 55mm wheels and a 1/10 rubber riser plus a 1/8 plastic one. With 53s I just use the rubber one. With 50-51 I would ditch all the risers.

Did you check out the review I linked to?
    i MIGHT get them before/after some venture's, any cons of them?

Title

i MIGHT get them before/after some venture's, any cons of them?
    They are low, so you need risers. That means getting longer hardware, and some of the weight savings is negated because you do have to add the weight of the risers. The silver ones grind better than the painted ones. If you look at the shape of the hanger you will see that it angles down slightly as you get to the wheel. It does help lock in on coping, but it may take a little getting used to.

One of the big pros is that they are so cheap. Tactics has the Orange/Green 8" right now for $25 shipped. Not much of an investment, and if you don't like them you won't feel too bad about giving them to a buddy who has no cash.

Title

They are low, so you need risers. That means getting longer hardware, and some of the weight savings is negated because you do have to add the weight of the risers. The silver ones grind better than the painted ones. If you look at the shape of the hanger you will see that it angles down slightly as you get to the wheel. It does help lock in on coping, but it may take a little getting used to.

One of the big pros is that they are so cheap. Tactics has the Orange/Green 8" right now for $25 shipped. Not much of an investment, and if you don't like them you won't feel too bad about giving them to a buddy who has no cash.
    Yea i know about them on tactics, so right now mini, venture (hi's), and krux are on my list of trucks to try. (in that order)
    I have already tried independent,thunder (lo's) and venture (lo's)
    Last edited by Xxmlg_sk8rxX; 12-13-2016 at 02:15 PM.

Title

I like the Krux high's I'm on now. Lots of kingpin clearance, fantastic turning, smooth grinds. Can't really go wrong with Thunder/Venture/Indy either though, all are great and good quality, just personal preference.

I'd honestly stay away from low trucks. You'd be hard pressed to find a pro skater who doesn't skate med/highs.
    Last edited by Chance_S2K; 12-29-2016 at 12:37 PM. Reason: added
    ATM 8.0
    Krux Standard Forged
    Spitfire F4 101a 52mm
    Bronson G3s

Title

Quote Originally Posted by Chance_S2K View Post
    I like the Krux high's I'm on now. Lots of kingpin clearance, fantastic turning, smooth grinds. Can't really go wrong with Thunder/Venture/Indy either though, all are great and good quality, just personal preference.

I'd honestly stay away from low trucks. You'd be hard pressed to find a pro skater who doesn't skate med/highs.
    cool cool, and i am staying as far away as possible from lows

indys are my bae atm now that i got used to them