Title

Default Theeve Tiax 5.5" Trucks

Hi Everyone,

I did a search for Theeve trucks and could not find any posts so here goes........

I got a new pair of Theeve Tiax 5.5" trucks delivered this week and thought i'd start a post to let you know my view of them.

A bit about me, i'm 46 years old and i'd say I am very fit for my age ( i do not look my age and people are shocked when they know how old i am) and I only started skating about 2 years ago. I probably dont present as a typical skater and work at a high level professional job, i've always been good at sport and pick things up reasonably easily.

I started out on a long board but found it too 'one dimensional', no kicktails, so it has limited options for progression. After a year i ditched it and purchased a Welcome 8.75" deck with Indy Stage 11 trucks and 60mm bones ATF wheels (60B or 80a duro), i took to it like a duck to water - love it, its great fun. Its an escape for me, i put my headphones on and i go into my own world for a few hours.

I work about 20kms from my house and skate home from work every Friday (weather pending - not if it rains), i then skate back on either Saturday or Sunday the same distance so i do about 40kms a week or more. I can skate quick, i have perfected pushing and do the 20km in about 2- 2.5hrs. I prefer to skate the environment, road tansitions, bikeways, roads, footpaths, i love the variation, I find the skate parks moslty boring and rarely visit them. I have stacked a few times and removed skin, but, I never give up and persistance and determination are my best weapons. I feel like i progress every time i go out.

I cannot do an ollie and have not really pushed myself to do any tricks (i am happy with my slow progression and i couldnt give a toss what anyone else thinks) but i can manual over cracks and pop down gutters and go up gutters with a curved profile and skate pretty damn well. I feel i am as good if not better than most people i see skating around my area on the street in a more or less straight line (no grinds, tricks or anything fancy) - the skate bowls and tricks are another thing all together and i am in awe of what i see some of the young kids doing, balls of steel and very talented (especially dropping into the big bowls, i can only dream of it - the bowls scare the shit out of me and i stay clear). I intend to learn how to ollie in the coming months as this is a necessary requirement when skating around the urban environment, i hate picking up my board.

So enough about me.

The Theeve trucks are for a new deck i purchased and set up myself this week. It is a set up as follows

Carbon fibre Scram Jason 8.25" deck
    I did a custom grip tape job and inserted a 'Theeve' logo sticker in the middle. I coated it with several coats of clear varnish before applying the grip tape - it looks wicked
    Hawgs Street Wheels 62mm 90a - i wanted to try a harder and slightly larger wheel than my bones 80a ATF's
    1/4 inch riser
    Bones Super Reds Bearings (lubricated with my own formula) - i aways use these bearings
    Theeve Tiax 5.5" (version 3 / V3) trucks with stock bones medium bushings. Cup washer boardside and no washer roadside (i'll probably play around with the bushings as i find they make a big difference). Often i ride a hard barrel bushing boardside with a cup washer and a bones meduim cone bushing roadside with no washer - thats my go to set up. My weight is 95 - 100kg and i am 6'2" tall, a reasonable frame.

I took it for a quick ride last night and it felt as stiff as concrete, aweful compared to my other board so i realised some tweaking was required. I then realised i still had the roadside washer on both roadside bushings so i removed theses, lubricated my pivot cups and loosened the king pins and it improved out of site. It was raining tonight so i couldnt take it out.

When i fisrt started out i liked tight trucks because i was shit (hey i still am) and liked the feel of the stability but as i have got better i now like medium to loose trucks because i like the responsiveness and easier turning. The other day i loosened my Indy kingpin nut on my original board so much it fell off, thats when i realised new nuts were required as the nylon thread on both was worn. Regular replacement of kingpin nuts for me from now on, i was luckty i was only going slow when my hanger dropped off my board - funny now i think back on it.

Anyways, i'll provide more updates as i break in the bushings and the board loosens up. I dd notice however that the trucks feel very stable.

Okay, got to go.

Apologies if the user name is offensive to any of the females but I thought FTW (i do like the girls).
    Last edited by Loose Trucks Tight Pussy; 11-30-2016 at 12:00 AM.

Title

Here is an update.

First thing, i removed the boardside bushing and replaced it with a 90A barrel bushing. I also replaced the boardside cup washer with a larger washer suitable for the barrel bushing. Roadside i kept the stock bones bushing but removed the cup washer. I had the trucks tightened medium to loose but the bushings need to be worn in, it still feels stiff all round to me.

Tonight i skated over 20km on these over all sorts of terrain.

Its probably still too early for me to make an assessment as almost everything is different to my last board and its all new and still feels like it requires more time to loosen up. One thing i have noticed is that the Theeves seems to feel a lot more stable than my Indy stage 11's, this could just be because the bushing are still stiff but could also be because i am skating a board with a layer of carbon fiber and harder wheels than i normally ride.

Control was fine but i thought they didnt turn as well as my Indys but this cold be becasue things are still being broken in, I think another 5 or 6 rides are required before I make my mind up on this. I expect the bushings to loosen up and turning to improve with that.

Overall so far, i like them but they feel very different to my Indys. So far my main comment would be, they feel super stable which is good because it givee confidence with balance so you can put your mind to other things.

The Theeve Tiax's are supposed to be lighter in weight than my Indy's but i am unable to feel any difference whatsoever when riding the board - i might have to put them on my old board to do a fair comparison. On this basis i'm not sure if i would buy the light versions of any triucks again, this also requires some more time and thought.

The change down in board size from 8.75 to 8.25 has not had any negative impact, i think the 8.25 is about as small as i would go, I do have a size 12UK or 13US shoe so i need some room.

The change from 80A 60mm to 90A 62mm wheels is noticeble, on the smooth and better surfaces they scream along but rough stuff is more difficult and the shock and vibrations is also worse but tolerable. I would not go harder than 90A for the terrain i ride, 85A will be my next test and possibly a 63mm.

I'm not sure about the carbon fibre in the board, still need to make my mind up about this. I think some flex is a good thing and it feels a bit stiff to me but that could be because of other things also.

Leave it at that, will report back after a few rides - say two or three weeks time.
    Last edited by Loose Trucks Tight Pussy; 11-11-2016 at 02:33 AM.

Title

I really don't know what to make of this post... Why should I give a fuck that you smoke weed? Are you trying to establish how cool you are?

Title

Quote Originally Posted by bluefoam View Post
    I really don't know what to make of this post... Why should I give a fuck that you smoke weed? Are you trying to establish how cool you are?
    Are you that rude in real life as well? It is so annoying, when people like you mess up the net by ignoring the netiquette.

Title

I'm just trying to understand the relevance of smoking weed to a review of skateboard trucks... Is there a mitigating factors that I've missed out on?

I'm also not sure what netiquette I've ignored... There's usually a place on forums for off topic discussion, to keep this kind of muck away from interesting discussion.

Anyway, thanks for the review. I'm using independent low 139's... They've been great so far. I might change the bushings for something harder.

My relationship with recreational drugs in inconsequential...

Title
    olwXcrew

Quote Originally Posted by hannes View Post
    Are you that rude in real life as well? It is so annoying, when people like you mess up the net by ignoring the netiquette.
    "netiquette"

eat a dick

Title

I hugged a nun today to make up for it

Peace and out.
    Last edited by Loose Trucks Tight Pussy; 11-11-2016 at 12:03 PM.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by DontHateJustSkate View Post
    "netiquette"

eat a dick
    Looks like thats your sport mate....

Title

Okay, another week of skating since my last post - 3 x runs of 20km, going out tomorrow for another session if the weather holds.

My new board and hardware now feels like it has 'broken in' and the stiffness has gone completely. Really nice to ride and quick.

I would still say i am impressed with their stability (Theeve Trucks that is), not sure if this is a feature known to them but in the case of mine i notice it. Still doesnt prevent all falls, can't really blame the trucks for my lack of co-ordination..........

The stock bones (yellow) bushings, i think the yellow is the medium - the hole in the centre of the bushing sits super tight on the kingpin, i got a round rasp and filed mine a few times to increase the size of the centre hole and loosen it up bit. I'm not recommmending that to others, just what i did. It had a really tight feel before i loosened it and after was much better.

I've been messing around with bushing combinations and at the moment i have completely removed the stock bones yellows. I am running a hard 100a duro barrel boardside with a large cup washer, but, i have the cup washer installed upside down. I do this to reduce the restriciton of flex in the bushing compared to a large cup washer installed the correct way up. I also do it because it provides a round base for the barrel bushing to sit on (a flat washer would probably do the same) otherwise it deforms from the pressure from the small square headstock that the kingpin goes through, but i also do it because it gives me more wheel clearance as it pushes up the hanger. Just my odd approach i guess but, what the F*$! i'm riding the board so who cares what anyone else thinks, it feels good to me.

On the roadside i'm playing around with a cone bushins at the moment (rear and nose) which i think has a duro of about 85a, but its the only bloody bushing set i have that i'm not 100% on the duro. I tried without a washer and it was too soft for my weight. I added a flat washer between the cone and the king pin nut and it feels much better, turny but not mushy. Will test this out tomorrow. Also, i ordered 6 sets of Venom SHR cones and barrels, 3 of each, so they should arrive next week and i'll be trying a few combnations - well a shit load of combinations.

I've been popping over the expansion joints along the concrete paths and slowly improving my manuals, they still suck ass but i feel more confident about pulling them now. My pumping/carving is getting heaps better and is saving the pushing legs some work. Hopefully the SHR venoms will help with the pumping.............i'll be pissed if i cant tell a noticeable difference from my other bushings. I'm sceptical about whether there can be that much difference in urethane mixtures, but, i'll soon know.

I'm still regularly cleaning sand off my board (i hate that stuff), cleaning bearings and lubing pivot cups.

The 62mm Hawgs 90a wheels are a fraction too hard for me, i ordered some Pig Supercruiser 66mm 85a, they should arrive soon. I'm not bagging the Hawgs, they are great but some of the crap i skate through is rough and while on the smoothish surfaces they scream along, I think i need the 85a duro for around town where i ride.

The Scram 'Jason' redline (carbon fibre) deck is good to ride, they are an aussie company and i'm not affiliated with them but they have some cool designs, so do Elan Skateboards and you can get the redline (carbon fibre) deck with them as well.

Anyways, i like the Theeve Tiax 5.5 trucks so far, nothing bad to say. Wonder if the Theeve TIH are worth the dollars?
    Last edited by Loose Trucks Tight Pussy; 11-21-2016 at 02:18 AM.

Title
    olwXcrew

Quote Originally Posted by hannes View Post
    Looks like thats your sport mate....
    it is fella got a problem?

Title

Time for an update............

I've put in a load of distance on these trucks now and i really like them. I'm not a truck expert but they do the job and feel nice (very stable) and i'd certianly recommend them to others. Like i said before there is nothing bad i can think of to say about them so that means they are good.

I've noticed that bushings have a huge impact on the feel of the trucks so i recommend you experiment and find what works for you.

I'm still big on lubricating my pivot cups, easy job that helps trucks turn. The oil/grease that i use attracts dust and dirt but i just undo the kingpin nut every now and then and clean the insdie of the pivot cup and the hanger with the mineral turpintine before relubricating. Easy.

At the moment i am running a Venom SHR barrel bushng 94a on the boadside with a large cup washer the correct way around and a cheap chinese cone bushing on the road side (i think its 90a) without a washer. It feels great, loose and turny, great for pumping and cruising. I have some SHR Venom cones ordered but they have not arrived yet, hopefully this week so i can swap out the cheap chinese bushing but its doing a great job.

Probably worthwhile adding that its too early for me to advise whether i think the SHR Venom bushings have improved my ride but my current deck set up is the best i have had to date so they certainly have not made things any worse. Im almost reluctant to chnage anything as i'm pretty stoked with the feel and performance i have at present (even with a cheap chinese bushing).

I'm also testing out some cheap wheels off Ebay and i love them. They are the Vault Cue Balls 65mm 78A and they are by far the best wheel i have tried to date for city cruising. I had to add a 1/8" soft riser (boardside) on top of my 1/4" hard plastic riser to prevent wheel bite. These things haul ass and i am getting some serious speed when i'm out and about, its a load smoother as well. Still waiting for my 66mm 85a Pig Supercruiser wheels to arrive form the USA.

My skating in general is improving and my fitness is getting better all the time so i guess with that comes progression - im getting better. Its just great fun cruising around the city popping over cracks, ripping along the road and pavement and rolling up and down gutters and just thrashing the hell out of the deck.

Anyways, hope everyone is having a great time out there on their decks whatever style you are into. Its summer here on the Gold Coast and its so nice to get out there and skate, stop off at the beach, grab a cold smoothie or beer and do some people watching.

Will provide further updates
    Last edited by Loose Trucks Tight Pussy; 11-29-2016 at 02:10 AM.

Title
    \_(ツ)_/

This thread rules.
    Chase Gabor tied a kid down and sodomized him with a screwdriver.

Title
    Respected User

I'm enjoying the story

Title

Thanks for the positive feedback, much appreciated

Thought id give you a few pictures of the trucks
    IMG_2983.jpgIMG_2985.jpgIMG_2986.jpgIMG_2987.jpgIMG_2988.jpg

If you look at the second image (the one that shows the kingpin and bushing seat) you will notice there is a gouge out of the hanger directly behind the top of the kingpin. When these trucks were sent to me after i purchased them they had this, i'll call it a minor manufacturing imperfection rather than a defect. The other truck also has this but it is very, very small in comparison. I suspect this is from when they cast the trucks and this is the point where they pour in the moulten aluminium? (i dont know that for sure its just my guess - please correct me if anyone knows better). I dont expect it is going to make any difference to the perfomance or longevity of the trucks (given other trucks like Krux have a complete hole in this location a small imperfection seems insignificant).

You'll also see the sand and other gunk around my pivot cup, this is why i clean these regularly. Next time i pull the hanger out of the pivot cup to clean it i'll take a few photos for you. Last time i cleaned them i noticed the tip of the hanger that goes into the pivot cup had what looked like wringles in the aluminium - quite noticeable. I think this is from when sand and dirt gets in to the pivot cup and causes wear (just a guess of mine). You will see this when i put up the next lot of pictures.

Those green wheels you see in the pictures are the Pig Supercruiser wheels 66mm and 85A duro- they arrived on Friday and i took them out for a 20km stint this morning. Sadly, I have nothing positive to say about these wheels, i absolutely hated them. I will say they are the worst wheels i have ever ridden and this will be the first and last time i ride them. They felt much harder than 85A duro and i base that on comparison to my 90A duro 62mm Hawgs Street wheels, they felt harder than them. But the worst thing about them was they had a dampening feel to them, it was like they were absorbing the energy from my pushing, zero rebound (if thats the word) off the road and pavement. I was exhausted when i got to the end of my journey (my legs were burning) becasue these things took about three times the effort and they felt horrible on anything slightly rough. On the very, very smooth stuff they were ok but still aweful in my opinion. Sorry Pig Wheels but i say it as i find it, maybe for another application they would be fine but for general city cruising stay away from them. Back to my 65mm Vault 78A duro for the time being.

Lesson learnt - wheels make a big difference and you need to get the correct type and duro for your riding conditions. Expensive lesson at that.

My additional SHR venom bushings still have not arrived so no update there. I cant give any more information on the venom SHR 94A barrel bushing I have boardside (you can see them in the pictures) becasue todays journey on the Pig Supercruisers was all strain and little joy.

This is a bit left field, but, i thought id add that i have been using some plumbers white teflon tape on my kingpin thread to help hold my kingpin nut secure. Its not as much an issue with my current set up on the Theeves but given on my Indys i did have the hanger drop off once (do to my own stupidity for having the nut too loose) I'm doing this now as an extra precaution. Last thing i want is a kingoin nut coming off when i am barrelling down a hill or going round a corner. Just a bit paranoid i guess.

Hey before i go, just huge hi to all the skaters on the Gold Coast. I saw a guy do a manual today down Cavill Mall from the top near the beach all the way to Orchid Avenue and it looked amazing, he absolutely smoked it. Actually, i see people doing cool stuff all the time on skateboards and it is inspiring and does put smile on my face.

More updates to come.
    Last edited by Loose Trucks Tight Pussy; 12-03-2016 at 07:15 PM.