Title

Default Been Skateboarding for just under a month..already feel like giving up and selling it

Bought my Element Skateboard back in August, however since then I have been skating for a total of only a week, due to the weather here in the UK being on and off and having some back pain. I go to this local park (not a skate park as I dont have any good ones near me) and I just go up and down the tarmac path learning to cruise, push off, stop, turn etc. I have definitely improved since starting, my pushing is becoming more confident with each stride, I can turn the board but only standing still and moving slowly and I am starting to attempt to learn to ollie. So When I am at the park I am fine..

...Its the journey of walking there and back that puts me down. The walk is only 10 minutes anyway. But thats the problem. The path I am walking on (and pretty much any path where I live) is made of bumpy cement which is not good to skate on (maybe for a cruiser board with bigger and stronger wheels to move over the bumbs). There are cracks, unleveled pavements, and its just having to make that same journey every time I want to practice that I find frustrating. I am not good/confident to skate on the paths that are nice and smooth. I dont understand why I have to walk all that way to the park just to learn on 1 boring walkway. When I came back I was wanting to just forget skateboarding, no one does it in my area, the pavements are sh*te, theres only 1 nice (ish) park with 1 pavement to learn on, walking past the same houses, crossing the same road for the next year is gonna be crap. But then I read progress from other people and in a year they can do nearly everything and thats what I want to do. But not when there is nowhere near me to skate at. What should I do? Just sell it and forget skateboarding as its not even big in the UK here, or just carry on? How about in Winter, can people be bothered to learn in the cold outside? It rains a lot so it will be nearly impossible to go out most days.

Title

Well I learned to skate in the streets of London. I also used to practice at recreational grounds. I'm glad I didn't give up because I've come a long way. Any English skateboarder has to deal with what you're dealing with. I had to always alternate between skating and walking because the pavement sucks.

So, if you're passionate about skateboarding, you can stick it out and make it work. Also try switching up the spots too. Surely there other places to skate in your vicinity.

Rooster Cockburn: Club of Cool Kids member and overly-zealous COCK worshipper

Title

Quote Originally Posted by Larz View Post
    Well I learned to skate in the streets of London. I also used to practice at recreational grounds. I'm glad I didn't give up because I've come a long way. Any English skateboarder has to deal with what you're dealing with. I had to always alternate between skating and walking because the pavement sucks.

So, if you're passionate about skateboarding, you can stick it out and make it work. Also try switching up the spots too. Surely there other places to skate in your vicinity.
    Hey, thanks for advice. Near me I only have 2 alright places to skate. Once I become more confident hopefully I can skate on the path as there are some smooth pavement areas. But even then, my wheels are 50mm 95a and I feel they are too small/weak for even the tiniest level adjustment in the pavements

Title

... Might be a good idea to change your wheels for a bigger size and softer compound before completely giving up... Just a thought...

If you are just being melodramatic and looking for support, then just keep plugging away at it... I skated for years on shit hardware and never got good, but I always enjoyed skating....

Remember, it's about you and your board, don't be afraid to change how you do things or approach them, but also don't be afraid to mess with your setup, find what works for you... Boards are meant to be customised.
    Last edited by bluefoam; 09-08-2016 at 12:19 PM.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by bluefoam View Post
    Remember, it's about you and your board, don't be afraid to change how you do things or approach them, but also don't be afraid to mess with your setup, find what works for you... Boards are meant to be customised.
    What sort of wheels should I maybe think of purchasing? I presume I dont need to buy longboard wheels so its smooth over these uneven grounds around me lol.

Title

Depends on how bad the paving is, whether you want to do complex tricks etc... Bones do an all terrain wheel called atf/rough riders...

http://bones.com/skateboard-wheels/all-terrain-formula

Talk to the guy in your local skate shop... I'm only getting back into skating after a long, long absence so I'm not too clued in, but you should be able to get your setup to work for you...
    Last edited by bluefoam; 09-08-2016 at 12:48 PM.

Title

Mini logo do some 90a wheels now in various sizes too, they are made by skate 1 the same company that does Powell bones.

Title
    Outside youre Local Vapour and Eciggerate Store

M8 people skate for a year and can't Ollie over a rock

ようれ あっっ ふぁっごっ

Title

Quote Originally Posted by Bone View Post
    M8 people skate for a year and can't Ollie over a rock
    lol really? I dont want that to be me haha.

I know this is a silly question but I think I have just realised...as well as doing an ollie for the "trick" sake of it, is it mainly used for getting over cracks or high pavements when going from road to pavement, crossing gaps etc?