Title

Default Out of retirement... at (almost) 40

I grew up with skateboards, but never considered myself a skater... I never had a good board, made do with what I had. Never mastered much tricks, but after being away from skateboards for almost 20 years, I've just ordered one...

I'm shitting it that I will look ridiculous & that I'll have lost the knack... But I just want a board for cruising around a bit. I'll hit the beach walk & there's a small street style skate park near my apartment here in Dubai, so I'll have a roll around that...

When I was a young person I wasn't able to afford a decent board, but now I'm old and able to afford it, so I've spec'd what I think is ideal... I don't know if it's an old-school setup, or whether it'll be ideal for knocking around, but I'd appreciate any comments on how it could be improved or changed...

Deck: Enjoy Panda 8"
    http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Enjoi_...e-ENWPWDK.html

Trucks: Independent Stage 11 Low
    http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Indepe...e-INELLTR.html

Wheels: Bones STF V1 52mm
    http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Bones_...ge-BSV1WH.html

Bearings: Bones Reds
    http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Bones_...e-BSREDBR.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bluefoam; 09-05-2016 at 11:44 PM.

Title

Thanks, the low trucks may turn out to be a mistake... but I'll just have to figure that out. My thoughts were that a lower stance would make it easier to ollie.... I know a high board will help you ollie higher, but I'm not looking for that, just want to get off the ground easier... The paths around where I live are all brick... I'll see how I get on. Hoping this board hits the sweet spot in-between all the types of terrain here.

Skate parks weren't on my radar at first, but they are looking more appealing...

Title

... add:

Hardware: Diamond
    http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Diamon...ge-DISMHW.html

Griptape: Jessup
    http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Jessup...page-JSGT.html

Shoes: Some old converse, or whatever I'm wearing on the day

Title

Hey man, good to see other ' more mature' skaters on here, I am older than you and cannot really do anything yet except roll around a bit, last time I went to a park a few weeks ago I managed to do a few 180 kick turns and roll fakie down a flat bank.
    its a killer at our age as besides feeling really self conscious we feel every slam really hard I weigh around 12 stone about 170 lbs and it feels a lot different to when I was a kid rolling down hills light as a feather. It's scary as hell too. I really love it though

Title

Quote Originally Posted by Axljrose View Post
    Hey man, good to see other ' more mature' skaters on here, I am older than you and cannot really do anything yet except roll around a bit, last time I went to a park a few weeks ago I managed to do a few 180 kick turns and roll fakie down a flat bank.
    its a killer at our age as besides feeling really self conscious we feel every slam really hard I weigh around 12 stone about 170 lbs and it feels a lot different to when I was a kid rolling down hills light as a feather. It's scary as hell too. I really love it though
    Fair play to you... I came off my bike one night after a few gin & tonics (some of the roads here are paved in polished granite) & had to lay on the ground for a few minutes just to figure out which bits hurt and if anything was broken... falling definitely gets more difficult as you get older...

To make things worse, I used to skate mongo & am deciding if i'd be better off continuing that way now that I'm old, or whether this would be a good time to retrain myself.

Title

Is that the polished granite like you get in malls or kitchen work tops , it can be very slippery, I am not sure about the pushing mongo thing, I ride goofy as it has always felt natural to me, like you say it could work either way, a total new start and a few weeks getting used to pushing in a different way, or sticking with what feels more natural and being comfortable with it, I am not sure how it would affect certain things you want to do on the board as you are pushing to get some motion and most basic tricks would be completed while your feet are on the board. Good luck with whatever you do in your skating though, I hope you can enjoy it at least in any fashion as that is what it is all about. Cheers....Paul

Title

The board arrived yesterday. So... falling off a skateboard is just like falling off a bike, you never forget how.

I haven't taken it to the street yet, but from knocking around the apartment it seems that I'll need a bit of practice to get fully mobile. I was expecting it to feel a bit more natural, but I'm not as stable as expected.

The boards I had in the past offered more stability because there was more resistance through the bearings and wheels, but this thing is silky smooth. Looking forward to getting out on it.

Title
    olwXcrew

40 is the new 30