Title

Default Back in the game at 38!

Hi, new uk skater here - just signed up, used to skate (badly) as a kid up to about the age of 12 but at the ripe old age of 38 decided I wanted to give it a shot again! Always enjoyed it, and now I've got a bit of time want to give it anther go.

Must admit, I'm worried about how I'm gonna look at the local skatepark as an oldie that can't skate well and how I'll fit in or even be seen as that 'sad old dude'. Still, you only live once and f*ck 'em - why shouldn't I if I want to!

Title

age dont matter bro just be you

Title

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Giant View Post
    Hi, new uk skater here - just signed up, used to skate (badly) as a kid up to about the age of 12 but at the ripe old age of 38 decided I wanted to give it a shot again! Always enjoyed it, and now I've got a bit of time want to give it anther go.

Must admit, I'm worried about how I'm gonna look at the local skatepark as an oldie that can't skate well and how I'll fit in or even be seen as that 'sad old dude'. Still, you only live once and f*ck 'em - why shouldn't I if I want to!
    Hi Dwarf,
    and welcome here.
    Enjoy it, and enjoy that younger skaters are looking...

I had the same thoughts, when I started on inline skates 3 years ago, but the younger skaters in the skatepark likes,
    that an older skater is skating together with them.
    I'm volunteer in our local indoor skatepark, and there is a skateboard there.
    At my work, I tried, but couldn't balance on it.
    The young people showed me how to start skateboarding, and teached me, and now 10 months later I'm skating around in the city.
    Nearly every day I get a thumb-up or the words "It looks nice" or "That's tough" from people I meet, when I'm skating at the street.

Last week a man that saw me, asked if I allowed him to take a picture of me to Instagram.

Last week I skated at DOKK1, our new libery building in Aarhus.
    Some students talked to me, that it looks nice, and asked me about my age, and how long I have been skateboarding.
    I answered, that I started skateboarding for first time at november last year as 65 years old.
    They asked me, if I allowed them to take a picture of me and them.
    Of course yes...
    / Henning
    It's never to late to skate.

Title

That is absolutely awesome! Big inspiration for me to get started and motivation fr me to keep going.

Title

Seems to be alot of people in their 30's picking it back up again. (Myself included)

Title

Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post
    Hi Dwarf,
    and welcome here.
    Enjoy it, and enjoy that younger skaters are looking...

I had the same thoughts, when I started on inline skates 3 years ago, but the younger skaters in the skatepark likes,
    that an older skater is skating together with them.
    I'm volunteer in our local indoor skatepark, and there is a skateboard there.
    At my work, I tried, but couldn't balance on it.
    The young people showed me how to start skateboarding, and teached me, and now 10 months later I'm skating around in the city.
    Nearly every day I get a thumb-up or the words "It looks nice" or "That's tough" from people I meet, when I'm skating at the street.

Last week a man that saw me, asked if I allowed him to take a picture of me to Instagram.

Last week I skated at DOKK1, our new libery building in Aarhus.
    Some students talked to me, that it looks nice, and asked me about my age, and how long I have been skateboarding.
    I answered, that I started skateboarding for first time at november last year as 65 years old.
    They asked me, if I allowed them to take a picture of me and them.
    Of course yes...
    / Henning
    dude you are awesome, so pleased to see someone enjoying one of the greatest experiences on earth

Title

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Giant View Post

Hi , I am in the same situation, I skated badly as a kid too, am bit older than you, never even saw a park when I was younger thought they only existed in California , and ollies were alien, saw gleaming the cube in 90 and tried to pick it up again a few times over the years, but now making a concerted effort to live my dream, I can barely do anything , been to park 2 times once with friends kid and other time with another old Skool skater, am planning to go now kids are back at school hoping it will be empty early mornings as I too get crippled with self consciousness, ride some local hills here but can't stop properly yet . I practise stuff like rolling fakie down banks, kick turns , on banks and flat, skidding to a stop on tail, very very slowly, and dropping off small kerbs . Best of luck with your skating