View Poll Results: Did you wear protective gear when learning on the skatboard?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 23.53%
  • No

11 64.71%
  • Sometimes/Give reason e.g learning certain tricks

2 11.76%

Title

Smile Did you ever wear protective gear when you began to learn skateboarding??

-So I started learning how to skateboard (if thats the correct term) a few days ago, and I had my first fall which hurt! I fell and grazed my right elbow and right shoulder. After the fall happend, I was moving a little bit safer on the board as the initial fall made me a little scared and cautious.

-Which got me wondering wether I should buy protective gear, and for what body parts. Just for the wrists?, definitely a helmet to project your skull? But I dont want to look like a complete idiot like I have pampered myself in protective gear head to toe.

-People say that if you learn with protective gear, when it comes to taking it off you will be more scared to skate as you dont have padding to help if you fall!

Q: When you started learning on the skateboard, did you wear protective gear?

Title

I wear this, but you cannot see, that I also wear padded shorts under my normal shorts.
    Most times I also wear a bike helmet.
    / Henning
    It's never to late to skate.

Title

Nope. I wore knee pads once but it was just a waste of time.

Rooster Cockburn: Club of Cool Kids member and overly-zealous COCK worshipper

Quote Originally Posted by Mumford and Dragons View Post
    Q: When you started learning on the skateboard, did you wear protective gear?
    No, I was twelve and didn't wear shit, but now that I'm almost thirty I do wear a helmet and wrist guards.
    I could care less if people think I look like an idiot, I'm a machinist and if I really screw up my hands or wrists I'm fucked.
    A month or so ago I lost control of my board after doing a little hip transfer slammed the back of my helmet on the ground, popped right back up and kept skating. The other day it was pretty warm and I said screw it and went without, same thing, wasn't able to keep skating that day...

SaveSave

Title

Ive been skating for 3 years , i wore my first helmet 2 months ago (got it from a bmxer at my local park) i will never repeat the process again because the helmet possessed me to try and add grabs into every trick i tried. Ended up clicking my thumb really badly hahahha

Title
    Rook'

No but I wish I'd worn wristguards until I learnt how to fall properly haha

Title

I wear a helmet when I'm planning on trying grinds or something big for me at the park. I've had enough boards and bikes confiscated by the cops that I now always try to wear a helmet when I'm simply skating to get places.

Title
    Perma Banned

I did when i got my first walmart board, which was 2 years before i started skating. To be honest, it's a waste of time, and it gives you a false sense of security. Atleast for me. In my opinion, not wearing gear is the way to go, unless you're doing something really gnarly/dangerous. Hurting yourself is part of skating.

Like, two days ago, i did a heelflip and on landing i popped the nose cuz i tried to do a super high heel and it didnt work well which caused the board to go flying towards my wrist. Shit got swollen and if i had a wrist guard it wouldn't hurt (as much?), but i enjoyed it, and i enjoy all injuries because thats when i know im progressing.

Title
    olwXcrew

maybe when i was a young kid but ive never seriously went out and skated with pads or a helmet theyre so damn uncomfortable

Title
    #CALEXIT2k19#makeCAgr8agn

I tried skating with a helmet and couldn't do it, too uncomfortable and never really needed it. All the other protective gear, such as ankle guards and wrist guards, I wore temporarily after an injury to prevent from further aggravating the injury but that's about it.

Title

I wear all sorts at the moment, always wrist guards and gloves, usually elbow pads, at park I will wear knee pads and helmet too, and I have some of those armour undershorts. I am really old though and need all the protection I can get

Title
    Rook'

Quote Originally Posted by Axljrose View Post
    I wear all sorts at the moment, always wrist guards and gloves, usually elbow pads, at park I will wear knee pads and helmet too, and I have some of those armour undershorts. I am really old though and need all the protection I can get
    since you're axl rose you should only be wearing a head band, some random top and tiny short shorts that leave nothing to the imagination