Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bridgewater NS
    Posts
    310

    Default Decisions: Indy 139 or Thunder 147/149?

    I'm buying a new deck to spoil myself for my 23rd birthday, gonna be buying a Real so I'm thinking I want to get Thunders for an all deluxe setup. There are some decent indy's that I want at a decent price though. To anybody that's skated these trucks, if I could get your opinion on how they skated and what I should get that would be cool.

    Personal thoughts:

    Really like the way Indy's turn, interested in seeing how the 139's skate versus the 149's.

    Haven't skated a set of new thunders yet, really curious about them.

    The deck I'll be buying will most likely be in the 8.1-8.3 area.
    Last edited by Nsskater93; 08-01-2016 at 12:55 PM.

  2. #2
    hamsteroncrack's Avatar
    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Santa Ana, Ca
    Posts
    247

    Default

    if you're planning on increasing your board size in the future then get indy 149s. I've personally never skated thunders before but a lot of my smaller friends(small in terms of height and overall weight) have broken their thunders a lot. All from the part of the hangar that goes into the pivot cup of the baseplate.

    Indys skate pretty good. They don't grind as smooth as thunders(general opinion that everyone has) but they dont get worn down as much. They grind good, they're a little on the heavy size but it won't really affect you. They're also higher than most trucks which in my opinion is a bonus since your chances of getting wheelbite are decreased slightly. Although if you skate loose(like me) i reccomend buying softer aftermarket bushings or boiling the bushings they came with to make them softer. Or you can do both(like me since the indy "soft" bushings were soft enough for how loose i skate)
    Setup
    Deck: 8.5 Skatewarehouse Blank
    Trucks: Independent 149s
    Wheels: 52mm Spitfire formula fours full conical shape
    Bearings: Modus abec 3
    Griptape: Pink FKD
    Hardware: Modus 7/8 allen key
    Shoes: CTAS Highs

  3. #3

    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bridgewater NS
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hamsteroncrack View Post
    if you're planning on increasing your board size in the future then get indy 149s. I've personally never skated thunders before but a lot of my smaller friends(small in terms of height and overall weight) have broken their thunders a lot. All from the part of the hangar that goes into the pivot cup of the baseplate.

    Indys skate pretty good. They don't grind as smooth as thunders(general opinion that everyone has) but they dont get worn down as much. They grind good, they're a little on the heavy size but it won't really affect you. They're also higher than most trucks which in my opinion is a bonus since your chances of getting wheelbite are decreased slightly. Although if you skate loose(like me) i reccomend buying softer aftermarket bushings or boiling the bushings they came with to make them softer. Or you can do both(like me since the indy "soft" bushings were soft enough for how loose i skate)
    Thanks for the advice, I would buy a set of Indy 149's but I already have some that I recently bought new and currently skate. If I do go Indy, I'm probably going to just get 139's since I'm not going to be upping board sizes any time soon. The 8.5 Almost deck I have is the widest I plan to skate really.

  4. #4
    lonechicken's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Moco, Yo
    Posts
    3,132

    Default

    They're both great brands. Indys turn too slowly for me unless i really loosen them up. Then, they gets too loose for me to ride. Thunders turn too quickly for me.

  5. #5

    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bridgewater NS
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lonechicken View Post
    They're both great brands. Indys turn too slowly for me unless i really loosen them up. Then, they gets too loose for me to ride. Thunders turn too quickly for me.
    What brand do you skate then? Venture? Krux? Theeve?

  6. #6
    Ju0npak's Avatar
    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,284

    Default

    My Indys after about 2 months

  7. #7
    bakedchicken's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Perth WA (western aus)
    Posts
    1,083

    Default

    That's a rather strange looking groove in the hanger there...

  8. #8
    SIK's Avatar
    Title
    #CALEXIT2k19#makeCAgr8agn
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6,759

    Default

    Yeah it looks weird like he was grinding on something sharp

  9. #9
    lonechicken's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Moco, Yo
    Posts
    3,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nsskater93 View Post
    What brand do you skate then? Venture? Krux? Theeve?
    Theeve. I rode Thunders since the late 80s. Had Indys for about 2 years a couple of years ago.

  10. #10
    bakedchicken's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Perth WA (western aus)
    Posts
    1,083

    Default

    You can tell allot about a skater by the grooves in their trucks.

  11. #11
    SIK's Avatar
    Title
    #CALEXIT2k19#makeCAgr8agn
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6,759

    Default

    I say go with the one you've never tried. I personally prefer indy but I still love thunder too. I always buy a set of each.

  12. #12

    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Thunder 147s

  13. #13

    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bridgewater NS
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SIK View Post
    I say go with the one you've never tried. I personally prefer indy but I still love thunder too. I always buy a set of each.
    I'm gonna take your advice, get a Real with some Thunder trucks and Spitfire wheels for an all deluxe setup. Which would be better for a 8.18 Real? 147's or 149's? Can't imagine there's much of a difference but thought I'd ask.

  14. #14

    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bridgewater NS
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkateOrCry91 View Post
    Thunder 147s
    Either that or 149's depending on the price when I get em

  15. #15
    SIK's Avatar
    Title
    #CALEXIT2k19#makeCAgr8agn
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6,759

    Default

    It doesn't really matter, if you think you're going to go up a deck size any time soon get the 149s otherwise the 147s will do with 8.1

  16. #16

    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    151

    Default

    on a 8.18 board i prefer indy 139 over thunder 147, about thunder and indy 149 you can't really go wrong with both of them, i had both on 2 setups, thunder team on real 8.25 and indy on street plant 8.875 , love em both

  17. #17

    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bridgewater NS
    Posts
    310

    Default

    **Update**

    I ended up buying an 8.3 instead of a 8.18. Figured that small bit of a size difference probably doesn't make much of a difference in the long run. This deck has two pretty cool features from Real that I'm curious to try, the twin tail and the slick bottom. Since the board's a bit wider than 8.25 I decided I'm going with Thunder 149's forsure. Thinking about trying the titanium's or the polished lights.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nsskater93 View Post
    **Update**

    I ended up buying an 8.3 instead of a 8.18. Figured that small bit of a size difference probably doesn't make much of a difference in the long run. This deck has two pretty cool features from Real that I'm curious to try, the twin tail and the slick bottom. Since the board's a bit wider than 8.25 I decided I'm going with Thunder 149's forsure. Thinking about trying the titanium's or the polished lights.
    I got Indy 139, Thunder 147, 2x Thunder 149II in my lineup currently. Ti models all of them. I also had Indy 149s that I pretty much gave away to a good friend.

    I ride 8.125 so both sizes work just fine. Thunder 147s were way too low for me and I prefered the turn of Indys better. So I switched back to Indys 139s and kept switching between 139s and 149s. I gave away the Indy 149s and decided to try the "new" Thunder 149s. Surprisngly they didn't feel nearly as bad as the 147s. They were a little higher, Bones bushings fit better too even tho I ended up not using them because they still didn't fit well enough compared to Indys. Thunder OG bushings were actually pretty good. The turn was more surfy too and kingpin didn't stick up like it does on 147s. I bought 2 pairs of the 149s because I was really hyped on them. I rode them for nearly 2 years but recently switched down to Indy 139s again and have no intention of going back.

    I realized the reason I was riding the 149s was because I really wanted to give Thunders a fair chance and the 147s never cut it. 149s are always more stable than 147/139 but Indy 139s actually feel just as stable as Thunder 149s to me.

    So Yeah... Indy stage 11 > Thunder 149II > Thunder 147(I would rather ride Thunder 149II on a 7.75 than ride 147s at all. That's how I feel about them) That's just my opinion.

    That being said 149II is a really big improvement and really worth it if you like the way Thunders ride. They're really light too if you're into that kind of stuff. 149II TI are lighter than Indy 139 TI.

  19. #19

    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bridgewater NS
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Bought some Ishod Wair Thunder 149 hollow lights. They're the bmw graphic. Didn't make much sense to me to buy Indy's again since I still have a pretty new set to skate through. Had to get the Thunders since I haven't tried them yet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •