Title

Default Skaters that didn't have skate parks, what did you do?

To start off I have never done any skating before so I will be learning the basics an basic tricks likely around my own home, however as I get better I will not have anywhere to skate. I am 21 years old so I can drive wherever I want to, but the nearest skate park is nearly 50 miles away which is almost an hour drive (nearest skate shop is that far too). So to anyone that dealt with this in the past, did you just skate on the street and in parking lots? My town unfortunately says that skateboarding is prohibited entirely on public property but that basically just means sidewalks and streets I figure. Thanks for any advice. Still waiting on my board but I am looking forward to finally getting started after wanting to learn all these years.

Title

I skate on the terrace at my house.

And at the street in front of my house.
    Here in Denmark, skating is like walking, where you are allowed to walk, you can skate.
    Skaters are liked and respected here.
    / Henning

Title

Depending on your location, wherever there is concrete, you should be able to find a small secluded spot. Explore your surroundings in walking distance in all directions.
    360 Flip!

Title
    Respected User

i was a big driveway skater. my dad helped out by building a box to grind on and a small ramp
    Quote Originally Posted by DontHateJustSkate View Post
    fucking old people so quick to judge but so slow to walk

Title

look for abandoned parking lots and bring a broom to sweep up pebbles and if you have the time build a diy spot at the abandoned parking lot

Title
    Respected User

curb rat for the firsrt few years of boarding, really helps to get good control along with flat ground, and Ollieing over random objects. Now I skate parks allot as well and I think not skating at a park helped build my 'base'.

Title
    Rook'

plazas, parking lots, DIY / ghetto shit, lots of unique obstacles to be found everywhere in the streets as well, it doesn't matter if it's banned just go explore
    'Style is the hallmark of a temperament stamped upon the material at hand.' (André Maurois)

Quote Originally Posted by gsosa View Post
    The sound/feeling of rolling on bricks is the best ever

my school basketball court

Title

Wow man that awesome! How long have you been skating? You look to be in great shape...

Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post

I skate on the terrace at my house.

And at the street in front of my house.
    Here in Denmark, skating is like walking, where you are allowed to walk, you can skate.
    Skaters are liked and respected here.
    / Henning

Title

My town doesn't have an official skatepark. Closest thing we have is the "temp park" with a couple quarterpipes and 2 ways etc.

There's a committee raising funds for a nicely designed concrete plaza that I'm looking forward to. For now all there is to skate is the temp park and spots around town. Fortunately if you're really looking for skate spots it's not that hard to find them here. Most of my skating's just cruising around/flatground other than when I hit the ramps.

Title
    Respected User

Albany NY actually just finally appproved a skatepark at a long time skate spot, on the off change any of you guys live in the area lets shred at the blue banks some time

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by Skateselect View Post
    Albany NY actually just finally appproved a skatepark at a long time skate spot, on the off change any of you guys live in the area lets shred at the blue banks some time
    Fuck i'de love to visit new york. My mum just got back from there on a conference. She got offered a job over there doing Public Relations. She likes Australia too much though :( Mabye if I do well enough at uni, ill apply for some sort of exchange.

Title
    Respected User

New York is a pretty variable place, like a lot of people think NYC and thats it. I went to college in very slow, woodsy upstate NY and live near Albany which is a suburby-almost city area

Title
    Respected User

Yep, that's what I think my mums problem was. She didn't visit the burbs. She just said "ah the city is too much of a rat race" and that she couldn't imagine raising my little brothers there. What was your college called?? I am curious to see if they do exchanges from my uni in Perth.

Title
    Respected User

oneonta. has a reputation as a party school from years ago, a lot better now but also definitely still a fun place

Title
    Respected User

For my course the only uni I can go to on exchange is the University of North Carolina.