Title

Default Some tips for a complete beginner?

Hello!

So, I've always wanted to skate as a kid, but never really learned (pretty much just stayed on the grass pretending to do tricks and never got on concrete). Now I'm 23, (quite chubby) and thought why not give it a go. To my surprise I could finally get both feet on the board, can push, go relatively slowly, but can't skate continuously without stopping (today has only been my second day). I'm quite happy with the progress so far, though I have some balance issues when trying to position my feet (for now I can only skate with both feet kind of pointing forward in the direction I'm skating. Also, for some reason I seem to be leaning to the left all the time). I was wondering, how long did it take you guys to get really comfortable with the board? Perhaps there are some plus size skaters here that could give some advice for a newbie? Thanks! :)

P.S. Here's a little video of my first day of skating:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw0YMpvdKC4
    Last edited by Krizdele; 06-29-2016 at 06:37 AM.

Title

I'm not "plus sized" but I'd say you can expect to be comfy on a board after a month of skating everyday, maybe less depending on the person.

Title

Okay, thanks! Well, I'm really looking for any kind of advice for anyone, I just recognize that a more fitter person might have a slightly different experience learning. :)

Title

With practice, you'll get better. Just keep in mind that even though skateboarding might look easy, it is not. So just skate as much as you can, and don't get discouraged

Title

Thank you, I try to keep that in the back of my head. :)

Title

Hi !

I am also a beginner in skateboarding, just planning to buy my first skateboard and start skating daily. Hope that works! I downloaded App store app that shows worldwide skate spots and reports with photos and videos, called GoFlow (so I can find ones even for my country!). Hopefully I can also meet skate friends there as you can create a team inside the app.

Title

Just worry about skating and balance for a while...once you feel 100% comfortable on your board at all speeds then try some tricks...just have fun!

Title
    Respected User

dont give up

skateboarding has a pretty steep learning curve and can be discouraging at times. but its all worth it in the end when you're cruising around
    Quote Originally Posted by DontHateJustSkate View Post
    fucking old people so quick to judge but so slow to walk

Title
    #CALEXIT2k19#makeCAgr8agn

You don't look fat to me, just maybe not athletic. You'll be okay learning to skateboard. And it took me a few months to get comfortable cruising on the board so just stick through the awkward parts.

Title
    Be water, my friend.
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup

Your shoulders are facing the wrong direction, it's why you tend to point your toes up the board instead of across. Line your shoulders parallel with the skateboard, each foot over the bolts. If you crouch down with your posture bend the knees and lean the shoulders down over them, you will lower your center of gravity. Lower center of gravity lessens the impact of falling but also allows for quicker control over the board. Learn to shift your weight with your hips, shift the weight to your toes or swing it behind you into your heels. This will help steer the board while standing over the bolts, the lower the front foot on the board higher and faster you can pop the board & the higher up the board your front foot is gives you more control and stability.

Title

Default me too

I have the same problem. I know my shoulders are wrong. I can't move my front foot to turn it to the right direction. It feels glued to the board.

Title
    Be water, my friend.
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup

Quote Originally Posted by brendag4 View Post
    I have the same problem. I know my shoulders are wrong. I can't move my front foot to turn it to the right direction. It feels glued to the board.
    More time spent on the board should make it a little easier, seems like you could be afraid of falling or traveling at higher speeds.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by StarcraftLedZeppelin View Post
    More time spent on the board should make it a little easier, seems like you could be afraid of falling or traveling at higher speeds.
    I think what it is, is I have too much weight on my front foot. I am trying to go faster. Someone suggested pressing down with my toes. I haven't had a chance to try that yet.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by brendag4 View Post
    While keeping stationary, have your front foot on the board pointing forward. Then plant your back foot on the board and quickly rotate your front foot so that's parallel with the back foot. Then take your back foot off and rotate the front forward again back to it's initial position - pointing forward. Do that over and over again while keeping stationary. After that, do the same thing while very slowly pushing off. Then later do it while pushing off at normal speed. Hope that helps.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by tribal-warrior View Post
    While keeping stationary, have your front foot on the board pointing forward. Then plant your back foot on the board and quickly rotate your front foot so that's parallel with the back foot. Then take your back foot off and rotate the front forward again back to it's initial position - pointing forward. Do that over and over again while keeping stationary. After that, do the same thing while very slowly pushing off. Then later do it while pushing off at normal speed. Hope that helps.
    Thank you so much for these tips, I am really trying so hard on it as I have the same problem. I will definitely try these.
    Pete | commercial fence installation lakeland

Title

Reading the tips here helps me how to position my foot and body, just that I need more practice

Title

Quote Originally Posted by ZolasLeftnut View Post
    Just worry about skating and balance for a while...once you feel 100% comfortable on your board at all speeds then try some tricks...just have fun!
    This is definitely true, when you are having so much fun, you also worry less. And you can do it without much pressure.
    We Install, Repair and Fix on Any Site | Norfolk Epoxy Coatings