Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Title

Default Am I too damn old?

Sup, Im new.

So Im gonna be 30 here in a couple months (time goes by quick, enjoy your youth because that its gonna happen to you too). Back when I was a teenager I used to love to skate around town. Was never very good, could do some basic shit like pop shoves, kickflip, heelflip, and some crappy little ledge/mini ramp tricks. Then around 16 I just suddenly stopped. Always kind of regretted letting it go, but I started getting more into guitar and being in a band, so just didnt have the time for it.

Now Ive been thinking more and more about it, then watching King of the Road on VICE TV basically sealed it. I ordered the parts to put together a half decent complete and gonna see what happens. Once like 5 years ago I had a buddy that skated and I jumped on his board and about feel flat on my face just trying to ollie, so theres a good chance Im gonna eat shit almost right away lol. Theres a half decent skate park right up the street from me (think its called Reid Manzer or something) that I never knew was there, so I could potentially go check that out, though Id feel weird being the oldest person there who isnt babysitting their kid or something.

But is 30 too old to try to jump back on it after over a decade off? Did I make a mistake? I imagine the vast majority of people here are probably teenage/early 20s, but anyone up in the late 20s/30s still doin the thing?

Title

Short answer: No.

Shred til Dead. Nothing to feel weird about.

Im 17 but most dudes here are in their 20s have jobs barely skate.

Title
    Respected User

i know locals older than you who are sick, so: not too damn old
    Quote Originally Posted by DontHateJustSkate View Post
    fucking old people so quick to judge but so slow to walk

Title

Definitely not too old

Rooster Cockburn: Club of Cool Kids member and overly-zealous COCK worshipper

Title
    The Real Folk Blues
    I'm lit like a Branch Davidian I'm what's left of the lithium in Cobain's cranium

29 and I still ride, started when I was 14.

You'll just need to learn the basics of falling before you attempt much at rolling speeds.
    I like to bring my arms in to my sides and tuck my chin into my chest if it's gonna be bad I aim to fall on the flat of my back.

You might look into aspirin or ibuprofen for the after session if you're feeling sore, if you fall don't push yourself if it hurts you cant bend back from recovery instantly like kids.

Rest Ice Elevation Compression if you roll your ankle.

Title
    #CALEXIT2k19#makeCAgr8agn

Never too late to skate or to have fun. Don't let your age stop you from pursuing your interests because as you said, life is short.

Title

Skate tranny !!!

Title
    Respected User

Till death fucker.

Title

Never to late to skate.
    I started skateboarding for my first time at the age at 65.
    About 3 years before I started to skate on inliners.
    I'm volunteer in our local skatepark, Kraftvaerket.com and combine the job there with my skating interest.
    The young people like to see it, and maybe they wishes, that there parents would skate together with them.

/ Henning

Title

http://skateboarding.transworld.net/...OxHZPl7EWB7.97
    You should really check this article out. Dude learns switch tre flips(really hard trick) at 45 years old.

Title
    Respected User

Yep. Too old.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by StarcraftLedZeppelin View Post
    29 and I still ride, started when I was 14.

You'll just need to learn the basics of falling before you attempt much at rolling speeds.
    I like to bring my arms in to my sides and tuck my chin into my chest if it's gonna be bad I aim to fall on the flat of my back.
    I like to tuck my chins under my sack and try to spread my legs behind my head every time I fall, it really helps especially with speed wobbles.
    Last edited by StarcraftLedZeppelin; 06-27-2016 at 09:08 PM.

Title

lol falling is gonna be something. Im not exactly the loosest person (loose lol), so stretching is gonna have to definitely be incorporated into a skate sess. As far as falling goes though, I think Ill be alright, barring anything super crazy. Im not gonna be trying any big stair jumps or downward handrails (probably maybe) or anything like that, so I shouldnt be taking any super hard slams. Probably just flat ground skating mostly, relearning tricks, and maybe the odd hill or 2. Once I get comfortable I might hit that park and get on the horizontal rails and maybe even the bowl or mini ramp. So nothing too wild.

But shit, I cant wait to get back on it. I ordered the parts online and didnt realize the place I ordered from are clear across the country and ship UPS (which sucks when it comes to time) so its taking a full week to get here. Wont come til Wednesday. I got impatient and went to a local skate "shop" that I found nearby (quotes because this "shop" was the size of a master bedroom, and was built into the ground floor of a house, that is shared with a beauty shop lol) but didnt see anything I would have wanted plus prices were a bit higher.

That place made me feel my age for sure tho. Behind the counter was a young dude with long hair and typical stoner/skater clothes (exactly how I looked 15 years ago) and his buddy was sitting up on the display case. As soon as I walked in they stopped the convo and just looked at me. "Umm, can I help you with something orr..." like I had walked into the wrong place. They stayed quiet and stayed glancing at me like that til I left.

Damn man, its not like I rock a suit and tie or something or look professional or high end. I typically wear some beat shoes, loose jeans, black/white tee with black/white thermal or under shirt, and a black hat. Granted I lost the long hair long ago, but I still look kinda young. Used to get carded for cigarettes and alcohol before I started vaping this year. Shit, its probably just me being paranoid about it.

Title
    The Real Folk Blues
    I'm lit like a Branch Davidian I'm what's left of the lithium in Cobain's cranium

Quote Originally Posted by zhorik View Post
    I like to tuck my chins under my sack and try to spread my legs behind my head every time I fall, it really helps especially with speed wobbles.
    What do you do when the tip of your prick pokes out your nose?

Title

Quote Originally Posted by StarcraftLedZeppelin View Post
    What do you do when the tip of your prick pokes out your nose?
    Drag it on the ground like a brake to slow me down.

Title

Nah man. Hell a shit ton of the pros I grew up watching are all in their 30s and 40s. I think the only pro I ever watched who isn't that old is Nyjah Huston. Don't let age slow you down.
    Loving cancerous memes since 2014

Title

my first board was a powell peralta lance mountain future primitive, not the reissue and i was like 11 or 12yo. stopped skating when i was 18 yo and back on it again 3 years ago. you do the math

Title

Finally got it. Too bad the UPS truck came mad late and I was already at work for the day. But maybe Ill be able to get out tomorrow and see how I do after a decade and a half lol

Title
    Banned

I'm 33 and I skate rails, stair sets, anything.

Skateboarding has given me reason to work out and eat healthy.

I now look and feel in my mid 20s.

I really found my love of skateboarding very late in life - around your age. I also had done it a little when younger too, probably not even to your level.

I now have something to live for and will skate street until I'm at least 45 if I don't get a bad injury and after that I will learn to ride bowls and tranny and do that until I am 65 at least.

Be happy you re-found skateboarding while you are still able to do it.

Your set up is lush, enjoy.
    Last edited by 333charles333; 07-03-2016 at 06:20 AM.

Title

nah man. i know a pal who started at 32. He is amazing 2 years on. go for it and just enjoy yourself

Title

Keep us updated on ur progression you got it dude.

Title

Finally got to go out and skate even though its been like a month since I got the board. It was rough going at first. Even standing still on the board was hard lol. Tried an ollie and just bending down I flew off the board and scraped my hand up real good. But after 10-15 minutes I was back on and able to at least cruise around and push and balance and all that stuff decently and got my pump back a bit. Few more times out and who knows? Maybe Ill actually be able to land an ollie or kickflip (I can still get the kick and flip down, its the landing thats way way off.)

I had a little shred partner...my 6 y/o niece lol. She saw her uncle get a shiny new skateboard and she just had to have one too so my sis got her a little cheap penny board. She had a blast too. It was humid as shit and I was totally soaked after a half hour, but it was still good times.

Title

No man your not too old! I'm 45 in a month and I started skateboarding for the first time ever 3 months ago! In 3 months I have progressed a lot. I ride bowls because I find jumping hard on my joints but at 30 you are good bro! Here's my latest vid so if I can do this after never ever being on a board before...you can most certainly get back into it if you did it before! Good luck man....as the other guy here said..."Shred till dead!...."

Title
    Respected User

Go for it. My dad is 43 and he still rides from time to time. He can do 360 manuals and shit like that. (Even I can't do those). He's got a really old school board Fromm when he was my age.

Title
    Respected User

Damn, I need a bowl near me. Everything's starting to wear on my joints.

Pretty funny that your dad is as old as I am, bakedchicken. Sometimes I forget my age... until the morning after a session.