Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MJ & Daewon on Adidas

Title

What in the flying ducking geese I'm eating pizza what the fuck right now?

Title

If a big sports shoe brand paid you 2 or 3 times your current salary, would you consider leaving Lakai to ride for them?
    Okay. No, I wouldn’t ride for a mainstream sports footwear brand. I would not skate for Big Company Footwear.

Why not?
    Big Company has a policy where if a skateshop wants to carry that ONE shoe that everyone wants, the skateshop is forced to carry ALL of their shoes. FORCED to carry all of their shoes. When those shoes don’t sell, the skateshop goes into debt and that debt gets bigger and bigger until the skateshop goes out of business. Your local shop owes Big Company a lot of money and must continue to sell the popular shoe just to pay their bills, and then they go even deeper into debt because the other Big Company shoes don’t sell at all. No one wants them. But skateshop is forced to carry those shoes too in order to be able to sell the one popular shoe. And now, skateshop doesn’t even have a choice about what they order. Shoes just randomly show up at the shop, and now skateshop owes Big Company money for product they didn’t even order.

Who the fuck does that to a skateshop????
    Obviously someone who doesn’t care about the skateshops, skateboarding or skateboarders. It’s terrible. Skateboarding footwear brands don’t do that shit to skateshops. Skate Footwear brands let the shops decide what shoes they want to carry. Skate Footwear company doesn’t force skateshops to do anything they don’t want to do, or strong-arm them into a debt-slavery relationship.

Dat small "core" shoe company Adidas.

Title
    \_(ツ)_/

It's funny seeing people defend Marc as if this move has any integrity at all. I hate throwing the "sellout" card, but by definition abandoning your so-called ethics for money is selling out.

Title
    #CALEXIT2k19#makeCAgr8agn

The future of core skate shoes brands is looking bleak. Unfortunately at this point it's a matter of going in the direction of the tide. With the new generations of skateboarders springing up, skateboarding is swiftly changing in ways the older generation of skaters are against but it's a huge battle, and a losing one at that.

I'm a big MJ fan but this is very hypocritical. It was only recently that he talked about smaller core skateboard brands making it due to the large & corporate brands becoming stale, & he seemed to be biggin up the little brands. Then he goes & pulls a Koston on us.

The problem is that everybody is still wearing Nikes & adidas even after all these yrs of being told that they are funding non skateboard corporate brands who dont give a shite. I would never buy a pair of Nikes really don't like the look of their skate shoes. Adidas look nicer but again I have steered clear.
    I will say that most of the kids own my local park seem to stick to etnies & eS, which is good to see but me personally I have an issue with soletech shoes being great during their 1st yr but then soletech seem to thin the same shoe out but keep the price the same.

Doesn't surprise me that Daewon joined up. DVS are pretty gash from the few I've skated. Surprised he didn't jump yrs ago.

Title
    Respected User

yeah core footwear is just looking hella dry rn.....its sad there's even people like mj who are leaving core brands, but i feel like he's not the first or the only guy who spoke out heavily against big business in skateboarding and just becomes apart of the problem.

Title

I imagine it's tough going against nike/adidas who's been in the shoe industry for as long as they have and the technology they're coming up with is just really tough to compete against as well.

Man, Nike and adidas is fucking everywhere, football, soccer, basketball, tennis, every sport in the olympics, it was just a matter of time before they stuck their noses into skateboarding.

Title
    olwXcrew

"Okay. No, I wouldn’t ride for a mainstream sports footwear brand. I would not skate for Big Company Footwear."

Title
    Respected User

Let's see how MJ responds, he's one of my favorites ever, even outside of skating, but this does change perspectives.

I agree mate. Skate industry is not looking good when u look at the guys who were big when I was younger. Koston & Guy jump to Nike, Nike tearing the footwear industry apart, JT making bonehead decisions & moving production to Dwindle, Fallen going under too, Rowley leaving Flip, awesome Co's like AWS/Blueprint being taken over by corporates who then take over the running & eventually kill off the brand & now MJ pulling a Koston.

At least Markovich (all time favorite of mine) stuck to his guns thruout. Just a shame he couldn't have settled somewhere. He should've stayed at Element back in the day. Awesome team lineup back then

Title
    Respected User

I wonder what's going on inside Crailtap for such loyal riders to just jump ship. I know they got together with corporate investors, I guess riding for that brand now is no different to riding for a corporate brand. Crailtap right now seems oddly aimilar to 2012-2013 AWS, I can see Lakai going under anytime soon, then Girl after a while, I can see Chocolate moving distributors though, would be amazing if they went DLX.

Title

I hope Lakai doesn't go under...

Also not defending MJ but he also said that those who decide to take that big check and join big company is also doing what's best for them. At the end of the day they're skateboarders jumping down stairs and shit. Maybe he decided to just do what's best for him WVEN THOUGH HE SAID HE WOULDNT LEAVE LAKAI.. WTF MARC?!?! I think there's something going on in the Crail fam. Carroll isn't saying anything. He's just posting throwbacks from his teen years on Instagram lol.

Title
    olwXcrew

wrong thread

Title
    Respected User

I like the way Adidas' skate sub-brand is run more than Nike's, so I'm all for them grabbing legends for the team or whatever. That said, these guys are so well associated with their respective companies (I mean Song is up to what, 14 pro models on DVS?) that it's kinda sad that they're just peacin' out. Adidas could do fine without them, and they could do fine without Adidas. Weird times.

In regards to core shoe companies gettin the succ - it's because they're unable or unwilling to put in the engineering, innovation and quality control to make competitive shoes. That's capitalism for ya...

Title

And their marketing is on point. The core brands use what's worked for them, while the corp brands use their monies and strategies to stay relevant. People want what's new and fresh and they provide.

Title

Also it's just Adidas and Nike got the "popular" skateboarders I guess I mean that's what Geoff said. Kids also buy Nike because they see their fav pro wearing them.

But let's be real now if you got a offer from Big company you would take it... Idk how much they pay but they pay big. Do what you gotta do right?
    Last edited by Ju0npak; 05-15-2016 at 04:26 PM.

Title
    Respected User

I'm pretty bummed about what has been going on in the industry lately, but the only companies ending I'll ever be completely bummed and sad about are Emerica and Fourstar. "Rumors" going around Slap are that Fourstar is ending at the end of the year and Reynolds might leave Emerica for Adidas. I doubt the latter, but Fourstar ending will bum me out pretty hard. I can see it happening too unfortunately, I just pray it doesn't.

Title
    olwXcrew

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE M0NS00N View Post
    I'm a big MJ fan but this is very hypocritical. It was only recently that he talked about smaller core skateboard brands making it due to the large & corporate brands becoming stale, & he seemed to be biggin up the little brands. Then he goes & pulls a Koston on us.

The problem is that everybody is still wearing Nikes & adidas even after all these yrs of being told that they are funding non skateboard corporate brands who dont give a shite. I would never buy a pair of Nikes really don't like the look of their skate shoes. Adidas look nicer but again I have steered clear.
    I will say that most of the kids own my local park seem to stick to etnies & eS, which is good to see but me personally I have an issue with soletech shoes being great during their 1st yr but then soletech seem to thin the same shoe out but keep the price the same.

Doesn't surprise me that Daewon joined up. DVS are pretty gash from the few I've skated. Surprised he didn't jump yrs ago.
    fuck me forgot about blueprint we need reissues of heart spray decks

least we still got good uk brands going

Title

Reading these posts just bummed me out hard. It sucks that the industry is changing but we just have to except the evolution. It's like the beginning of a new era. It won't last forever because in another 10 years the industry will change again.

With MJ and Daewon added to the team, and with the Away Days video, it is kind of influencing me to buy some of their shoes to skate. I skated adidas gazelle back then before the program and I always liked their shoes.
    360 Flip!

Title
    \_(ツ)_/

Jenkem posted a pretty heavy interview with Carroll on the subject.

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2016/0...e-of-crailtap/

If it won't open here's a copy-pasted version: http://pastebin.com/0kkghd1H

Title
    olwXcrew

carrol gives no fucks

Title
    Respected User

Amazing, Marc has gone from my favorite to someone I couldn't care less about in the span of a few days.

Title

yeah that's screwed

Title
    Respected User

what a fucking kook