Title

Default Beginner 32 year old who wants to learn

Hey guys so i got drunk one night and watched random you tube videos , i got to a skateboarding one and it reignited my passion for skateboarding , a sport i always wanted to learn but never had the chance .

So i bough a second hand Complete Element skateboard the same night .

i am looking for some advice how to get started , i have 0 skateboarding experience , don't really have someone to teach me arount me and i am 32 so there is a certain something that tells me i'll look like an idiot if i fall .

Another problem i have with the board is when pushing it , i get about 2 pushes and i starts to go left , every time . I'm not leaning left so i'm not sure what the problem is , should i replace some of the parts? they seem to be in pretty good shape.

Thanks for all the help .

WP_20160317_12_24_16_Pro.jpg

Title

When you're just starting out, there's only one rule to follow - skate as much as you can. Ride around a park, ride to work, ride to the store. Just get those hours clocked in. And don't mind people watching you. Most of them don't pay attention to you anyway, and with time that initial awkwardness you may be having will just drift away.

As for the left-turning issue - your board looks pretty much brand new, so chances are the trucks and bushings aren't broken in yet. Just keep riding, and if it still keeps turning, try mucking around with your truck tightness.

Most of all, don't get discouraged mate. I'm pretty new to skating myself so I know the ups and downs (mostly downs) of starting out very well, but it's all worth it. Just keep at it.

Title
    #CALEXIT2k19#makeCAgr8agn

Yeah your board isn't broken in. Try tightening out loosening your trucks to see how you prefer it but that's about it.you can also try getting some bones medium bushings if you end up eawanting to upgrade some parts

Title

Dude i see so many older bowl rippers... Try learning tranny
    Fuck em' I wear flannels over flannels
    ] https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC6Tv3REEWWZpeICY4VzD30Q

Title

had to google what tranny is , and yes i think it would help me. as an update i am becoming a bit more confident , right now i'm having trouble with pushing while the board is still moving . i don't have that much free time so i can only learn/ride 30-40 mins a day .

i recently ordered some reds bearings and some ricta clouds wheels (86a) . the only 2 tricks i want to lear is ollie and shove-it i read that using a softer wheel causes some issues with tricks , think im going to have any problems with the 2 tricks i want to learn?

Title
    Village Idiot

Yeah you gotta break your board in. If it continues to have the problem, then just loosen the trucks a bit.

Title

It's cool to see another dude in his thirties start skateboarding! I'm 30 and just starting too, my biggest problem is that I don't ride much, work is way too far to go on my skate, as far as stores go, there is one right besides my house, its kinda too close to go by skate, and the others are too far lol. I should just cruise around for fun, but it's still pretty cold in here, next week should be better to start the skate season!

Title

You should have no problem learning shuvs and ollies with those wheels. But first just focus on getting the fundamentals down, like balance, pushing and carving on the board. Just keep practicing and have patience, because skating is pretty hard

Rooster Cockburn: Club of Cool Kids member and overly-zealous COCK worshipper

Rehydrate yourself. Drink alot of tea and water.
    Lay down in bed, rest your legs for hours. Catch your breath.
    Skate everywhere. Free skate strengthens your muscles.
    Pray to God to make you a great skateboarder.
    Practice practice practice.

Title
    #CALEXIT2k19#makeCAgr8agn

Quote Originally Posted by lukesaurus View Post
    had to google what tranny is , and yes i think it would help me. as an update i am becoming a bit more confident , right now i'm having trouble with pushing while the board is still moving . i don't have that much free time so i can only learn/ride 30-40 mins a day .

i recently ordered some reds bearings and some ricta clouds wheels (86a) . the only 2 tricks i want to lear is ollie and shove-it i read that using a softer wheel causes some issues with tricks , think im going to have any problems with the 2 tricks i want to learn?
    ollies and shuvs are less about the gear and more about technique so as already mentioned, just keep practicing the very basics, like cruising, stopping, carving, etc., and you'll get it down eventually. It's important to skate frequently when you're just starting off and within 6 months, you'll be attempting kickflips and heelflips, as long as you don't quit.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasJPopp View Post
    Rehydrate yourself. Drink alot of tea and water.
    Lay down in bed, rest your legs for hours. Catch your breath.
    Skate everywhere. Free skate strengthens your muscles.
    Pray to God to make you a great skateboarder.
    Practice practice practice.
    this is a good tip

Rooster Cockburn: Club of Cool Kids member and overly-zealous COCK worshipper

Title

Can't i just give my unborn child to the devil for that?

Ontopic thanks for all the support guys it really means a lot .

Title

Glad I'm to see I'm not the only older beginner around. I'm 37 and getting back into skating with my son.

Title

Hi there.
    ...and me to, I am 65 years - young and 4 month ago, I got into skateboarding for my first time ever.
    I am a volunteer in an indoor skatepark near my home, and there I tried a skateboard.
    After some time, I could ride a little, and I bought myself a skateboard.
    The volunteer job gives me a lot of time to skate and friendships.
    urampe-1.jpg
    Last edited by Buddig; 04-27-2016 at 03:48 AM.

Title

I'm 30 too! Although I'm a big kid. I'm currently in my first year of college and some of my friends on my course are pretty big into skating, and I used to skate a bit when I was half my age, but I never really got as far as doing tricks, I could never really balance properly. No surprises I was doing it all wrong in the first place!
    Having got drunk with those guys on Friday after our last project hand in we were messing around on one of their penny boards, and I figured, why not try again? I wanna build up some confidence and start doing some regular exercise again and I figure doing something I always wanted to do but was kinda scared of would be a good choice, plus I've got friends to do it with!
    So I got an Enuff complete kit board on Wednesday and started out with some youtube videos and found out my stance, which is regular.
    On Thursday I was just practicing balancing on my carpet and getting the action of getting both feet onto the board after pushing off nailed. Then I tried doing it on the laminate flooring and kinda bailed and left a big scuff on it and a nearby door whoops.
    On Friday I went out on the street at my friends house and just started getting used to pushing off, found some driveway slopes to get a bit of speed up and just practised balancing and turning.
    Today I did the same, but skated further and further each time. Right now I just came home from work and did some more pushing off and managed to get from the fence to the road (my driveway is pretty long, maybe 50/60 yards or so), but then I bailed on the kerb.

I'm pretty proud of my progress in just 3 days! Although because my body is 30 years old and I haven't been doing a great deal of exercise lately thanks to work, college and a knee cartilage injury I got playing squash about 18 months, I'm now very stiff. Gonna have to get the knee fixed. It's my left which is my front foot. It doesn't seem too bad on a board though just rolling, but when I start doing tricks I know it's gonna hurt. But hey, 7 hours exercise in 3 days is pretty good going for me!!
    Last edited by Kit; 05-07-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Title

that's great , remember the more you skate the better your balance will be.

Title

Nice Bro - I got my first skateboard at 14 (The Ninja Turtles got me into it). Glad to hear you are back into it. I'm around your age too and would love to get on a board.