Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 31 of 31

Thread: Nyjah off DC

  1. #26
    MRCK's Avatar
    Title
    Rook'
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    desolation row
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Russo View Post
    I think like it's too much energy for me to be giving someone else's skating life when I could be applying that time and effort into my own. Unless I skate with the individual, i'm probably not gonna keep up with him/her. Too much to do and too little time to be spending it this way. I mean what are you gonna roll up to a spot with your friend and talk about what Nyjah is probably doing right now? The second I fill my head with all this other nonsense is the second I get injured - so I try to stay focused as much as possible on what's in front of me.
    yeah I'm the same, my general sentiment is something along the lines of, too much petty shit to worry about (especially in nowadays skating which has gotten so big and out-of-control that the average skater really can only relate to maybe 5% of it), too little time - especially when you're willing to put in some actual skating at some point, and I'm not talking 10-minute long weekly driveway sessions but actual living skate rat shit - trips, afternoon- or night-long sessions, DIY spot building / skatepark construction monitoring / photo / video / zines if that's your thing or really any effort that would be actually constructive for your scene. I feel like in skating there's a very strong case of where you either talk the talk or walk the walk, in a way - very few people seem to pull both off. I was really tempted to post in that "how do you get good at skateboarding ?" thread I saw the other day : "don't go on message boards", because that's just the truth. I've lurked many message boards over the years myself and everytime the few guys who are actually any good at skating are the less active guys, who usually end up naturally leaving anyway or even getting banned because the other kids don't understand their genuine passion and ridicule them. fucking kody kohlman used to be on forums then as soon as he quit and started wasting less time on e-shit he blew up. on here derm or pat dell (forgot his user name) or even dtj16. it's a life you have to live 100% in order to do shit unless you're content just sitting on the side benches passively 'discussing' shit other people do - which you can only speculate on most of the time with no grasp on reality, and no effect on it either except maybe trying to sort out your own personal problems and find out about your place in existence.

    I'm aware I may look silly making seemingly self-contradictory lengthy posts on here too but at least they are an attempt at constructive discussion rather than gossips on company transfers, which are by definition sterile (the bottom line always being money and short-sighted speculations). such efforts might inspire other people by actually making them consider new shit, whereas I could only feel sorry for anyone who's actually get inspired upon learning that Nyjah's on Nike, or Ben Kadow on 3D or whatever, same shit, all stuff you're completely disconnected from. the same lack of accessibility companies actually rely on to make you believe their shit is cool and worth supporting... another reason to focus on your local shit instead

    again not trying to offend anyone, I think all approaches are good, there's room for everyone and that's cool, part of the beauty of things. just sharing mine on this, I think the subject is interesting
    'Style is the hallmark of a temperament stamped upon the material at hand.' (André Maurois)

    Quote Originally Posted by gsosa View Post
    The sound/feeling of rolling on bricks is the best ever

  2. #27
    R's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    6,334

    Default

    I like to know about the pro's I like.

    The skateboarding industry is pretty much dependent on gossip, or at least talk about pros. If no one knew where pros were, or if people weren't interested in pros, then what's the point of having a pro skater in the first place? Ultimately, it's the skaters that make the brand cool,. and you build the brand image to compliment those skaters. Without pro skaters, a brand is no different than your average blank deck seller on ebay or amazon. So in a way, sure, not being interested in moves around the industry might make you seem like someone who's only genuinely interested in skateboarding, but these discussions are the reason that the skating industry is the way it is. Without it, we wouldn't really have dedicated messageboards because no one would talk about anything, we also wouldn't have the thousands of non-skating, skate related videos on youtube by brands because why should anyone care? Skating brands rely so heavily on the market to actually know and care about their riders, and I think that's fine. I think it's quite like how people want to know about musicians they like, outside of just their music. Knowing their inspirations, life stories, and whatnot, gives you a different perspective on their art. I'd say you can apply that same line of thinking for skaters and the way they skate, or their video parts.

    Personally idgaf about Nyjah though.

  3. #28

    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    157

    Default

    "Keeping up with gossip" is one thing; knowing what's going on in an industry that you care about is another. You know that there are people who really care and will Internet fight you because you say something about who someone like Ciara is or is not sleeping with? I mean, really? You like her or Future that much? You care what Kanye says? You actually spend time that you will never get back by watching something like "Keeping Up With The Karcrashdians?" Some folks do. Man, people are great. I'd rather read a boring industry insider magazine about skating because I want to know things about what the distributors are doing and who they are.
    Those who hurt others never remember; those who bear the scars never forget...

  4. #29
    MRCK's Avatar
    Title
    Rook'
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    desolation row
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reo View Post
    The skateboarding industry is pretty much dependent on gossip, or at least talk about pros. If no one knew where pros were, or if people weren't interested in pros, then what's the point of having a pro skater in the first place? Ultimately, it's the skaters that make the brand cool,. and you build the brand image to compliment those skaters. Without pro skaters, a brand is no different than your average blank deck seller on ebay or amazon.
    yes but don't you think what a pro should bring to the table should be actual substance rather than mere gossip from a (I almost want to say 'passive') fan base ? I feel like it used to be that way a lot more ; pros used to be recognized by fellow skateboarders for their actual personal contribution to the culture which is the tricks they landed, making for their elementary work, and sometimes whatever other secondary (usually) artistic endeavors they were associated with on the side (i.e.. board graphics and company managing for the likes of Templeton and Gonz, occasional bouts of technology advancement such as Vallely's Animal Farm board etc.) which is what used to matter regardless of whatever flashy logo was adorning them in the process. When any strong, eventually their association with a company resonated back and forth so that their respective public image would start to complement each other to the point of identification (i.e.. Kalis / DC, Rowley / Flip...), making for a really strong marketing tool to be used on both ends. But really noone used to give a deep shit and whenever a deal would be publicly revealed as coming to an end, as a skater / consumer you'd know it was just nothing but business in the first place anyway and you'd just naturally move on instead of making any type of drama about it. You'd just want to concentrate on whatever was happening skating-wise, the industry was uncool and you'd feel disconnected from most of it anyway because well, you were, just like you still are except nowadays it suddenly looks cool for some to speculate about the reasoning behind private deals and fantasize over ghostly contracts you don't know jack shit about (for it's none of your concern in the first place anyway), making things all sound like some fucking teenage reality TV shit out of nowhere to the point where even I (as a skateboarder / consumer just like you) just don't even get the appeal you know ? so many interesting things to ponder ; does the industry now feel more accessible due to the rise of more 'underground', demagogic independent board companies, encouraging the average joe to think they are part of some club now ? and when did that (maybe just local, to be honest) shift ever start occurring ? the first time I remember fellow skaters expressing genuine concern about a sponsor change (or 'industry move' as you called it...) was when koston ditched lakai for nike then lucas did the same thing for adidas. so maybe it also has something to do with skateboarding now being geared toward and essentially ran by non-skateboarders, allowing a wider audience to chime in and discuss topics that used to be regarded as irrelevant ?

    tldr I don't think the skateboarding industry really is 'dependent on gossip' in anyway unless you're trying to sell skateboarding to non-skateboarders at some point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reo View Post
    So in a way, sure, not being interested in moves around the industry might make you seem like someone who's only genuinely interested in skateboarding, but these discussions are the reason that the skating industry is the way it is. Without it, we wouldn't really have dedicated messageboards because no one would talk about anything, we also wouldn't have the thousands of non-skating, skate related videos on youtube by brands because why should anyone care? Skating brands rely so heavily on the market to actually know and care about their riders, and I think that's fine. I think it's quite like how people want to know about musicians they like, outside of just their music. Knowing their inspirations, life stories, and whatnot, gives you a different perspective on their art. I'd say you can apply that same line of thinking for skaters and the way they skate, or their video parts.
    that actually kind of goes with the point I just made. skate message boards have been around for 10+ years and back then (as far as I remember - please not that I do tend to have a shitty memory) noone would really ever discuss sponsor shifts and shit unless they were 13-year-old newbies about to get ridiculed, or it was expected to have a historically major impact on the culture. on the other hand a lot more people would actually discuss tricks and videos and footage and style and spots and trips and techniques etc. just tastes in skating in general in depth ; sponsor talk clogging up the websites is actually part of what has slowly been killing skate message boards over the past few years in terms of (now sterile) content (along with a wide array of other external reasons, the main one being the rise of social network), without it there really would be tons of (worthier) content trust me.

    as far as the second half of your paragraph you are onto something but i think there is a fine line between being curious about skateboarding history and artistic intent (which I think is a great trait) and knowing about everyone's latest sponsors (especially amid an era where non-skate-related sponsors are everywhere and don't contribute anything to the culture further down the line)

    Quote Originally Posted by BigRaw View Post
    "Keeping up with gossip" is one thing; knowing what's going on in an industry that you care about is another. You know that there are people who really care and will Internet fight you because you say something about who someone like Ciara is or is not sleeping with? I mean, really? You like her or Future that much? You care what Kanye says? You actually spend time that you will never get back by watching something like "Keeping Up With The Karcrashdians?" Some folks do. Man, people are great. I'd rather read a boring industry insider magazine about skating because I want to know things about what the distributors are doing and who they are.
    i am a skateboarder who cherishes skateboarding and i feel just as disconnected from your (phantasm of) 'industry insider magazines' as i do from all the other fanciness you just brought up. all barely disguised catalogs, all (actual skating) time i'll never get back, and you won't either. definitely an ambiguously two-faced relationship to handle though, that is for sure - it is so naturally tempting to immerge yourself completely into what is presented to you as an extension of the activity you love pursuing. but i think it is important to stay critical in order not to become a mere commercial target
    'Style is the hallmark of a temperament stamped upon the material at hand.' (André Maurois)

    Quote Originally Posted by gsosa View Post
    The sound/feeling of rolling on bricks is the best ever

  5. #30
    Russo's Avatar
    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MRCK View Post
    yeah I'm the same, my general sentiment is something along the lines of, too much petty shit to worry about (especially in nowadays skating which has gotten so big and out-of-control that the average skater really can only relate to maybe 5% of it), too little time - especially when you're willing to put in some actual skating at some point, and I'm not talking 10-minute long weekly driveway sessions but actual living skate rat shit - trips, afternoon- or night-long sessions, DIY spot building / skatepark construction monitoring / photo / video / zines if that's your thing or really any effort that would be actually constructive for your scene. I feel like in skating there's a very strong case of where you either talk the talk or walk the walk, in a way - very few people seem to pull both off. I was really tempted to post in that "how do you get good at skateboarding ?" thread I saw the other day : "don't go on message boards", because that's just the truth. I've lurked many message boards over the years myself and everytime the few guys who are actually any good at skating are the less active guys, who usually end up naturally leaving anyway or even getting banned because the other kids don't understand their genuine passion and ridicule them. fucking kody kohlman used to be on forums then as soon as he quit and started wasting less time on e-shit he blew up. on here derm or pat dell (forgot his user name) or even dtj16. it's a life you have to live 100% in order to do shit unless you're content just sitting on the side benches passively 'discussing' shit other people do - which you can only speculate on most of the time with no grasp on reality, and no effect on it either except maybe trying to sort out your own personal problems and find out about your place in existence.

    I'm aware I may look silly making seemingly self-contradictory lengthy posts on here too but at least they are an attempt at constructive discussion rather than gossips on company transfers, which are by definition sterile (the bottom line always being money and short-sighted speculations). such efforts might inspire other people by actually making them consider new shit, whereas I could only feel sorry for anyone who's actually get inspired upon learning that Nyjah's on Nike, or Ben Kadow on 3D or whatever, same shit, all stuff you're completely disconnected from. the same lack of accessibility companies actually rely on to make you believe their shit is cool and worth supporting... another reason to focus on your local shit instead

    again not trying to offend anyone, I think all approaches are good, there's room for everyone and that's cool, part of the beauty of things. just sharing mine on this, I think the subject is interesting
    What? I'm just saying I like skating for myself, and if I made a video - it wouldn't be a sponsor-me video. It'd be something for me to look at and remember all that I went through, and a reminder of what I can accomplish if I tried - and overall it'd just be fun to watch. I'd lose sight of that if I skated for money. I don't follow many of the pros because they crossed over into a different world where that principle no longer exists. To me they're not skateboarders anymore - they're employees just going through the motions for a paycheck. What really gets me, is these corporate sellout posers are the role models for the next generation to believe in. They'll end up just as fake, and not really someone you can respect in turn.
    Bearings: Bones swiss ceramics
    Deck: Tactics emblem II 7.75
    Grip: Mob M-80
    Shoes: DC Kalis lite
    Trucks: Krux downlows
    Wheels: Bones moffart 52mm

  6. #31
    MRCK's Avatar
    Title
    Rook'
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    desolation row
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    yeah i feel the exact same, you're wording it out better (and in a more concise style) than i could manage to. most of the pros in modern skateboarding, like you're saying, really are comparable to 'employees' or should i say 'professional athletes' pretty much running a business out of their public image, and the more i think about it the more it realize it may have to be due to the industry now targeting non-skateboarders more than ever (due to the influence of corporate entities), whereas not so long ago it used to be the (pro) skateboarding itself which would do the talking and its documentation, presentation and direction was just rawer and not thought-out according to the mainstream business model.

    you are also making a valid point as far as the newest generation of pros inspiring the even newer generation of young skaters is interestingly different (not to say 'worrying' from a purist's perspective) from what it used to be, but i actually believe in the kids and their ability to recognize sincerity and realness. it's still out there and companies, regardless of how big they are can only cover it up with the fake bullshit but they can't really do anything about it ; skateboarding will always belong the those who actually do it first and foremost, my point being that as older skateboarders it is easy to chime in and inspire said kids to see beyond what is presented to them for marketing reasons and introduce them to the good genuine shit, and the real interesting and fun everyday aspects of the activity rather than making sponsor-me's at the skatepark and caring about flashy logos. it is actually fulfilling too - it feels pretty fucking cool (i do that a lot) to do simple things such as showing up at the park only to try to get a crew together in order to go hit the streets instead, open up a kid's vision as far as how to skate a spot or new trick ideas, or making non-profit local videos just for the sake of it... in that sense skateboarding will always be timeless, and it will always be up to the passionate enthusiasts to run it, no matter how big the logos or the popular magazines
    'Style is the hallmark of a temperament stamped upon the material at hand.' (André Maurois)

    Quote Originally Posted by gsosa View Post
    The sound/feeling of rolling on bricks is the best ever

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •