Title

Default Final Fantasy fans in the room?

Hey guys!

I'm a big fan of the Final Fantasy series. I pretty much played all of them (didn't complete them all but I played all of them except the MMORPG ones and I think I never played FFII)

Even tho everybody loved FFVII the most, to me, its only my 3rd favourite. my #1 was FFX and my #2 was FFVI.

With that said, I never got the remastered version of FFX before. I didn't see the point, I had seen a video of it and wasn't impressed. I've seen a comparative video the other day tho, and I must say my opinion changed. I guess I didn't remember how bad the graphics were in the original.

So I went and picked it up. I must say I'm really impressed... the remastered version looks absolutely beautiful. Of course, its still PS2-looking, but the textures are a ton better and curvy surfaces are a lot rounder. I absolutely love it!!! The remastered version also includes FFX-2, but I'm not a big fan of it, its too girly. Apparently the game gets really good later on, but I never reached the point where I start really enjoying it. I might give it a second try once I get to 100% in FFX :P

Have you try it out?

Title
    Mr Shithole
    I am not going there to die, I am going there to find out if I am really alive

Final Fantasy Tactics > All FF titles.

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by StarcraftLedZeppelin View Post
    Final Fantasy Tactics > All FF titles.
    I came here just to say this

Title
    Respected User
    In time, there will come a day when everything is just a memory.

I got all dressed up to get lost at sea, gale force winds came and raptured me, put me right where I need to be, wash me up on Galeforce Beach.

Title

Didn't like any of the remasters/remakes/spinoff titles. X-2 was one of those games that you had to have a lot of tolerance and be willing to try anything to play. Most of it made no sense, the plot was all over the place, it was like a game about strippers or something. Had almost no elements of Final Fantasy aside from the similarity to the job system that they tried to get going in 3 and 5.

Tactics I didn't really get into because I saw enough of the strategy rpg stuff in the Ogre series. I mean, rpg's are complex enough without making them into chess simulators.
    Last edited by Russo; 10-02-2015 at 04:12 PM.
    Bearings: Bones swiss ceramics
    Deck: Tactics emblem II 7.75
    Grip: Mob M-80
    Shoes: DC Kalis lite
    Trucks: Krux downlows
    Wheels: Bones moffart 52mm

Title

Tactics was absolutely awesome aswell! I'd rank it between VI and VII tho

1-FFX
    2-FFVI
    3-FF Tactics
    4-FFVII

the thing with tactics, in my opinion, is that 1) I didn't like that the random battles were leveling with you instead of having areas with easier/tougher battles like all the other FF games. 2) the job system was a bit flawed IMO. although I loved it, a few classes were so OP. Monks were the shit... They got abilities that heal themselves or the others, MP-free, even have a Life-equivalent skill for 0 MP... They had some huge-range, very powerful abilities (earth slash). If you had 2-3 monks in your team, you were absolutely OP... 3) battles were too long. Sometimes I just want to spend 30 minutes messing aroung and fighting, but in FFT, most fights would last 30 minutes lol XD.

The game and its combat system were awesome tho I still loved it! I didn't finish it tho, I made it about halfway through the storyline

Russo, I understand you didn't like the remastered versions, but I gotta say, the remastered FFX is awesome! They didn't change anything to the game really, the just updated the textures a bit. It still 100% feels like FFX. They didn't go too far either and make it in 1080p with next gen graphics... They just made the game look better, without affecting its feel. I really think they did an awesome job with it! Plus, they based it on the International version, so we can finally see the dark aeons and stuff!

Title
    Mr Shithole

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder86 View Post
    the thing with tactics, in my opinion, is that 1) I didn't like that the random battles were leveling with you instead of having areas with easier/tougher battles like all the other FF games.
    This is what makes the game so much better, the replay value is endless.

2) the job system was a bit flawed IMO. although I loved it, a few classes were so OP. Monks were the shit... They got abilities that heal themselves or the others, MP-free, even have a Life-equivalent skill for 0 MP... They had some huge-range, very powerful abilities (earth slash). If you had 2-3 monks in your team, you were absolutely OP...
    Monks are best used in the opening act of the game, the final act I don't fuck with monks.

You say the job system is a bit flawed but I don't think you've even scratched the surface of what the job system is capable of doing.

Also this OG job system is what they started implementing into the newer final fantasy games, I can't tell you which one but I've seen game play where you actually CHANGE JOBS MID FIGHT but on tactics you could only change after a fight.

But yeah if you've never played a game where you use a black mage and turn every one into frogs, then use a mediator to enrage all the frogs to auto attack and watch how much fat JP XP you can stack because none of your frogs have weapons on them.

You can master job roles so quick and you won't even need to actually pay attention to the game since the enraged auto attacks play on it's own. Just set a fight up then go to sleep.

3) battles were too long. Sometimes I just want to spend 30 minutes messing aroung and fighting, but in FFT, most fights would last 30 minutes lol XD.
    You ever use teleport on every single character you play? Getting teleport from the time mage role is a must for every single character you use, walking is for filthy casuals.

Play your main archer as a knight and master it, then use all your breaking techniques with range of an archer or use a gun on a chemist.

Average fights shouldn't last 30 minutes unless you don't really know what you're doing.

The game and its combat system were awesome tho I still loved it! I didn't finish it tho, I made it about halfway through the storyline
    Yeah I don't know how well you can judge something you never completed though, I've done multiple play through and every time I enjoyed it more than the previous.

Did you ever use Cloud from FF7 he is cool as fuck to have on your team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxOQvu2dtaU

Title

Nah I never got Cloud in FFT. He looks super cool tho! I just don't see what he would be doing in that game lol.

But yeah the game is really cool don'T get me wrong. I just prefered FFVI and FFX.

FYI the one where you can change jobs mid-fight is FFXIII. even tho there might be others aswell, like the MMORPG ones, I don'T know. but I know for sure for FFXIII. I was not a fan of FFXIII either tho as you'd control only one character and can't even decide which one you control for, apparently, a very long portion of the game. I don'T know for how long, I put maybe 5-6 hours into it, and still couldn't select the character I control. That pissed me off a bit. The game itself looked good tho, but for me, FFX is still the best one so far!

Title

You know it lmao.

FFX is amazing imo too, though X-2 is pretty hard to get a 100% run I thought it was okay. The extra credits in the remaster version and 2.5 are terrible lol >.>
    Love the remastered graphics & music tho

Hmm I'm still playing through Tactics but I do love srpgs in general.
    VII is pretty good, I really like IV & V also.
    The XIII series grew on me after awhile. I didn't want to like it at first and idek why. They're pretty damn good games though, I need to pick up Lightning Returns one day as that's the one I haven't beaten yet.
    I have yet to beat a lot of these actually lmao but I love the series.

Imma be that dude that brings up the action-based side of the series for a sec. I was ridiculously glad Type-0 finally got an official english translation as I've been playing it and having fun with it since it came out in japan on psp. The FFXV episode duscae demo is pretty great, was finally glad to get a taste of the gameplay even if they're gonna end up changing the weapon system.
    Crisis Core da gawd.
    & Dirge of Cerberus was actually pretty cool imo.

Title

FFX was not my favorite, although it had replay value and I didn't completely hate it. Tidus, Wakka, and Rikku were probably the most annoying and whiny protagonists i've ever seen in a FF title, but thankfully they were cancelled out by better ones like Auron and Lulu. I'd mention Yuna but she had no personality at all, and honestly I thought she was high the whole game. The plot gave away who the villain was entirely too early with sinister themes playing. The sidequests were tedious, overly complicated, unnecessarily difficult - and broke the game's difficulty completely making the final boss die in one hit. I mean they could have at least given you a menu that collected player stats for blitzball instead of making you walk through the whole game looking for recruits. It had good music, customization systems for stats and weapons were original, and a lot of optional bosses, but really wasn't that great of a game aside from that. I mean how many times is Tidus going to throw crybaby fits about his daddy issues? Didn't they have enough emo stuff going on in ff8? I mean really, a remaster? There's a need to see more of that sort of thing again?
    Last edited by Russo; 10-07-2015 at 03:40 AM.

Title

^You sound like you're too adhd to enjoy the story.
    Yuna definitely has a personality.

Title

I respect your opinion but I don't entirely agree with it. I thought Tidus, Rikku and Wakka were okay. I'm not a fan of either Wakka or Rikku for combat but I thought Rikku was a great character. But she did suck combat-wise. And that skirt tho o_O.

Its true what you said about the sidequests being very freaking hard, making the final boss a walk in the park after you leveled enough for those extra bosses. First time I fought Ject (sorry if I spoiled anything... you are 10 years late XD), I got my ass kicked real hard. then I went and pretty much completed the arena (or whatever its called I don't remember and I'm not there in my current playthrough yet). Some of those bosses are hard as hell (I remember that jumbo flan was the shit back then, he was incredibly tough, that little armored tank as well (those rock-like dudes), he was tough as nails. When I first saw him I was like thats it? He's jus as small as the regular guys... he's gonna be a piece of cake... Oh momma... was I wrong! That fucker was super tough as as soon as you'd have only one dude left, he would do that freaking attack continually, never even letting you act... I could only beat him with the magus sisters, after much much training... When I went back to Ject, I one-shot the dude. That was a tad disappointing XD. But at the same time I think its okay. For people who don't care about all the sidequests, Ject is pretty hard to beat, but then you get to the end of the game relatively quickly. For purists who want to do everything, well at least there are bosses waaaaaaay harder to beat than him, which extends the game quite further. I think Ject should have been stronger and stronger the more bosses you defeated in the arena. That would have made sense to me. You could have fought all of those bosses and then still get presented with a challenge fighting the final boss...

Wakka I didn't really care for and Kimhari I could never really enjoy. Even tho my first playthrough, I build Kimhari along with Rikku (His location on the sphere grid makes him go into somebody else's part of the grid quite early into the game), which was a mistake as that path is mostly useless to have on more than 1 character. This playthrough tho, I make him follow Lulu's path. having a second black mage that also have some physical abilities is good, and will help with fights were you have to take advantage of the elements. But I didn't really like the character so much.

I loved Auron, Yuna is my bae, Tidus is cool, a bit weird, but cool. Lulu is okay, I'm not a fan of casters in most RPGs cause I'm afraid I'll be out of mana, but with FFX its not so bad since save spheres heal and replenish MP. My last playthrough I didn't use her too much because of that, but Now I'm realizing she's got enough mana to be quite useful. Waka I don't really like, but he's real handy against flyers... but unless there are flyers, I usually don't use him. Rikku is useless other than for stealing some items that are hard to obtain without it.

I pretty much never play blitzball, I think the concept of the game is nice but I suck balls at it so I pretty much ignore it (I seem to remember it was a must to get one of the ultimate weapons I think I played it just for it last time, and that was the part of the game I hated the most).

This playthough I'm using the classic sphere grid but I'm looking forward to fighting the dark aeons! I could never fight them as I had the NTSC version of the game. My next playthrough, I want to try the new grid instead. I don't know how different it is but I think its easier to level up your toons the way you want (I think they all start really close to each other, a bit like Kimhari in the classic sphere grid.
    Last edited by Thunder86; 10-13-2015 at 07:04 AM.

Title
    Mr Shithole

I haven't played a Final Fantasy game since 9

Title

Playing 6 lately, trying to complete a low level/no level challenge. Frustrating but interesting.

Title

Expert Sphere Grid is pretty cool.
    & if you want a hard fight there's always Penance.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by MotokoChill View Post
    Expert Sphere Grid is pretty cool.
    & if you want a hard fight there's always Penance.
    Yeah well. I'm currently in macalania woods, and I pretty much speed ran it to that point, lets just say I can barely stay alive right now lol. I'm not ready for Penance XD

Title

I'm a bigger Kingdom Hearts fan than I am for FF

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Title

^I feel you tho
    Both are great

Title
    Mr Shithole

Quote Originally Posted by MartyRules View Post
    I'm a bigger Kingdom Hearts fan than I am for FF
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogPI690oPKE

Title

I HAVE kingdom hearts lol. I never really played it. That disney thing turned me off, but its supposed to be really good. Maybe one day i'll give it a shot

Title

I HAVE kingdom hearts lol. I never really played it. That disney thing turned me off, but its supposed to be really good. Maybe one day i'll give it a shot
    You should try it, it made FF relevant again. The disney aspect made it so much better

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews