Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Title
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24

    Default Difference in Thunders

    What are the differences between Standard Thunders, lights, and hollow lights? are lights just hollow kingping and hollow lights axle and kingpins?

  2. #2
    Chance_S2K's Avatar
    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Yes.
    ATM 8.0
    Krux Standard Forged
    Spitfire F4 101a 52mm
    Bronson G3s

  3. #3

    Title
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Apparently the weight differences is barely noticeable. Also regulars are 50 and lights are 60 even though hollow kingpins are 3 each. How does that work? Anything else? I might just get standards and buy two hollow kingpins and swap em out.

  4. #4
    Chance_S2K's Avatar
    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewTaylor View Post
    Apparently the weight differences is barely noticeable. Also regulars are 50 and lights are 60 even though hollow kingpins are 3 each. How does that work? Anything else? I might just get standards and buy two hollow kingpins and swap em out.
    I'm not sure about swapping out kingpins, but I went from a set of the old solid-axle/kingpin "Sonara" Thunder trucks to the new Hollow-Lights and can confirm that I didn't notice much of a weight difference.

    If you're strapped for cash I wouldn't really bother with it.
    ATM 8.0
    Krux Standard Forged
    Spitfire F4 101a 52mm
    Bronson G3s

  5. #5

    Title
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24

    Default

    I am used to indys so I am sure even the team ones will we feathers compared to my current trucks. Hollow axles seems pretty risky as they must be under a lot of vertical pressure, kingpins not so much. I think I will just go with the solids and 60 is a hell of a lot of money for trucks. I have friends who ride thunders and they board is lighter and easier to flip even though it is .375 wider than my current setup (hence the reason I am going from an 8' to an 8.375') also is 149 the best width for an 8.375? I normally skate trucks that have the the sticking out the side and wheels level with deck, wheels being inside drives me batshit crazy.

  6. #6
    Chance_S2K's Avatar
    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewTaylor View Post
    I am used to indys so I am sure even the team ones will we feathers compared to my current trucks. Hollow axles seems pretty risky as they must be under a lot of vertical pressure, kingpins not so much. I think I will just go with the solids and 60 is a hell of a lot of money for trucks. I have friends who ride thunders and they board is lighter and easier to flip even though it is .375 wider than my current setup (hence the reason I am going from an 8' to an 8.375') also is 149 the best width for an 8.375? I normally skate trucks that have the the sticking out the side and wheels level with deck, wheels being inside drives me batshit crazy.
    149's are for an 8.25 deck. It's probably the best bet to go with.

    Also, there's actually some debate that the hollow axles actually make the truck stronger... I don't honestly know, but I know you'll be safe with the basic solid model.
    ATM 8.0
    Krux Standard Forged
    Spitfire F4 101a 52mm
    Bronson G3s

  7. #7
    Bozo's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Here's to you, Mrs. Robinson
    Posts
    4,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance_S2K View Post
    149's are for an 8.25 deck. It's probably the best bet to go with.

    Also, there's actually some debate that the hollow axles actually make the truck stronger... I don't honestly know, but I know you'll be safe with the basic solid model.
    149's are actually for an 8.5 according to the size chart, just a heads up.

  8. #8

    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bozo View Post
    149's are actually for an 8.5 according to the size chart, just a heads up.
    http://www.thundertrucks.com/sizing/

  9. #9
    Chance_S2K's Avatar
    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bozo View Post
    149's are actually for an 8.5 according to the size chart, just a heads up.
    Shit good call. Also nice link Jeff!
    ATM 8.0
    Krux Standard Forged
    Spitfire F4 101a 52mm
    Bronson G3s

  10. #10

    Title
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24

    Default

    They are for 8.2 to 8.4 it says which is perfect then. I like to have a like overhang of the axel like I said anyway.

  11. #11
    Bozo's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Here's to you, Mrs. Robinson
    Posts
    4,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewTaylor View Post
    They are for 8.2 to 8.4 it says which is perfect then. I like to have a like overhang of the axel like I said anyway.
    I actually didn't realize Thunder had a 149, thinking that was primarily an Indy size, so that's my fault.

  12. #12

    Title
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24

    Default

    I believe 145 is 8' axle, 147 is 8.25 and 149 is 8.5, correct me if I am wrong.

  13. #13

    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewTaylor View Post
    I believe 145 is 8' axle, 147 is 8.25 and 149 is 8.5, correct me if I am wrong.
    145 = 7.62" axle
    147 = 8" axle
    149 = 8.5" axle

    Refer to this chart: http://www.thundertrucks.com/sizing/

  14. #14
    Mraz's Avatar
    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Slovenia, Europe
    Posts
    151

    Default

    I use the 149's on my 8.25 board, might go bigger later..
    Always better to have the trucks a little over then under, because it gives you more balance, especially on slopes and verts
    Board: Baker/Deathwish/Embisi (slovene brand) 8.25
    Trucks: Thunder 149 Mainliner
    Wheels: Deathwish/Bones 52mm 100A
    Bearings: Shake Junt Triple OG's
    Hardware: Shake Junt/Emerica Stay Gold

  15. #15
    DontHateJustSkate's Avatar
    Title
    olwXcrew
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    IN THE ENDZ.
    Posts
    8,634

    Default

    151 life


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •