Title

Default I desperately need help :--((

So I just recently got my board and decided to learn Ollies right away. Someone told me that I wasnt supposed to do that. Is it true that I need to ride around first and be comfortable with my board before learning Ollies or any tricks for that matter? If so, how long should i be doing this? How much time a day should i dedicate?

Skate safe everyone

Title
    Respected User

I mean, learning Ollies right away isn't a bad thing at all, you might want to learn tricks moving so you get the proper feel for it, but to do anything with it you should be able to ride around comfortably. Dedicate as much time as you want to it...

Title

Quote Originally Posted by Milomywhy View Post
    I mean, learning Ollies right away isn't a bad thing at all, you might want to learn tricks moving so you get the proper feel for it, but to do anything with it you should be able to ride around comfortably. Dedicate as much time as you want to it...
    I guess I'll have to ride around first to be comfortable. But thing is, there arent much smooth roads in where i live, it's pretty much cement mixed with stones and poured all over the road.

Is it fine if I practice over like a volleyball court with smooth surface? I mean, it has a considerable size but will i get comfortable even if im just riding up and down, back and forth in the court?

Title

I would get as comfortable as possible rolling and cruising around first. It will lead to better board control. A volleyball court or tennis court would be fine for that; push around and carve and turn as much as you can for as long as it takes. Then start with the basic mechanics of ollies and things. You could practice ollies over the lines on the court and use them as points of reference.
    Those who hurt others never remember; those who bear the scars never forget...

Title

Quote Originally Posted by BigRaw View Post
    I would get as comfortable as possible rolling and cruising around first. It will lead to better board control. A volleyball court or tennis court would be fine for that; push around and carve and turn as much as you can for as long as it takes. Then start with the basic mechanics of ollies and things. You could practice ollies over the lines on the court and use them as points of reference.
    Sweet!! Im definitely going to the court now. Guess I'll start riding my board there. Cant wait til I lean the ollie. Thanks a lot man, appreciate it so much!!

Title

No problem, I hope it works out for you. It might take some time but stick with it and have fun.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by BigRaw View Post
    No problem, I hope it works out for you. It might take some time but stick with it and have fun.
    Well, it's my 4th day tomorrow of just practicing and cruising around getting comfortable. I hope i'll develop goos balance so i can work on my ollies and tricks next.

How long does it take to get really comfortable on my board?

Title
    Respected User

It will vary for everyone.

I dissent. Do what ever the fuck you want. There is no "right" way to skate, only your way. If learning to ollie is your passion, before learning to carve/be comfortable, follow it, and don't look back.
    "Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Jean-Paul Sartre

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by Sedition View Post
    I dissent. Do what ever the fuck you want. There is no "right" way to skate, only your way. If learning to ollie is your passion, before learning to carve/be comfortable, follow it, and don't look back.
    While normally I agree with the "skate your way" mentality, there has to be some sort of foundation before that begins, and getting comfortable on your board is that foundation

Title

Agreed that different people will take different amounts of time to get comfortable on their boards. However, the more time you spend on the board the quicker you will become comfortable. If it means spending a considerable amount of time just pushing and cruising around to get comfortable, then do that. It's all just skating, right?