Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mlb 2015

Title
    kind of respected user

Default Mlb 2015

I look outside at the 10 foot high snowbanks and I have visions of Justin Verlander getting the last out of the 2015 world series

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by Fudopi View Post
    I look outside at the 10 foot high snowbanks and I have visions of Justin Verlander getting the last out of the 2015 world series
    Eh idk about Verlander, he had a terrible season last year compared to his usual. I see the Nationals taking it all the way this year with their starting rotation depth.

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by Fudopi View Post
    Yeah, from striking out against Jordan Zimmerman because the Tigers ran out of pinch hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by mgoldman14 View Post
    Eh idk about Verlander, he had a terrible season last year compared to his usual. I see the Nationals taking it all the way this year with their starting rotation depth.
    As much as I love this rotation, I still don't think they've addressed the righty/lefty balance in the lineup or the bullpen. Of course those are pretty small nitpicks.

Title
    kind of respected user

Quote Originally Posted by mgoldman14 View Post
    he's gonna bounce back. he was coming off surgery last season and never felt right. He'll probably never be is 2011-2013 self again, but he'll still be really good.

As for the nationals, they've literally built their team almost exactly how the tigers did the past 2 years, and look how that worked out.

Once you watch that for a couple years, you realize it's a lot more balanced teams that win it all. Like the giants have been the most successful team in recent years, and there's not any one thing they've been amazing at. Their rotation last year was pretty average. They have good hitters but not a stacked lineup of great ones. a pretty good bullpen, but even then some of the guys they expected a lot from fell apart (romo, wilson a couple years ago). They win because they're really balanced, and guys step up for them when they need it.

not saying really talented teams never win, cause that'd just be a stupid thing to say, but having the best players on paper doesn't mean you're going to win it all.

Title

oh baby here we go. my favorite time of the year.

first and foremost I would like to say that the Nationals will make the playoffs, but they will blow it like they do every year. And they will only make the playoffs because they play in easily the worst division in all of baseball. The starting pitching staff over there in the capital is probably the best in the league and they've got a good pen, too. but, if those guys can't prove themselves on offense (which they havent the past several seasons) they aren't gonna make a deep run in the playoffs. Bryce Harper is easily the most over rated player in the league. they don't really have a sure fire offensive threat in that batting order. That staff is gonna win them a lot of games during the season but they are gonna fall flat in the post season.

i've got many predictions for this upcoming season and i'm gonna stand behind them defiantly. you can quote me on it.

the big markets may be located on the east and west coasts, but baseball lives and thrives in the midwest. the central is gonna be the best division in baseball in the AL and the NL this season.

between the tigs, sox, kc and the tribe, the al central is gonna be a great division to watch this year. detroit has basically run that division the past handful of years with the rest of the division scrapping right behind them. sox made some good offseason moves, cleveland has some great young talent coming up, a cy young winner and an mvp candidate on the sqaud, and the royals obviously coming off their improbable run. and with the national league you've got the perennial cardinals who have gotten better in the off season, a solid pirates team, the cubs have made some big moves combined with that young talent and the best farm system in the game, and you can't count out the brewers and reds to be competitors too.

I think the Mariners are gonna surprise a lot of people this year. Adding Cruz to the middle of the lineup is huge, and with king felix, iwakuma, a healthy paxton and up and comers like taijuan walker and roenis ellias among others, that squad could easily win the al west.

I do not think that the royals and the giants will even get close to making a repeat run this year in their respective divisions. I hated that world series last year. Both of those teams were perfect examples of decent teams getting hot at the right time. Don't get me wrong, when you get ONE team like that playing against a favorite/powerhouse in the world series, i absolutely love that. But last year, realistically, neither of those teams should have made it that far in the playoffs and I can almost guarantee they won't do it again this year. This opinion does not downplay what MADBUM did in the post season last year because you almost can't pitch better than he did during that run.

Title
    Desert dreams

How do you feel about Miami's chance of making the playoffs this year?

Title

I feel like a lot of that is going to come down to how Jose Fernandez can come back from that TJ surgery. That kid is one of my favorite young hurlers in the league and it made me really sad how he went out like that last season. The marlins have the best hitter in the NL if not the entire league in their lineup. Stanton is a beast. He is strong as hell and he plays good defense. They've also got easily one of the best outfields in the league and that goes a long way (see: Pittsburgh) I do think the Marlins are gonna surprise a lot of people, they really do have a good deal of talent. I don't think they will win the east, but I think they will be a contender for a wildcard spot. I admittedly don't know much about their pitching staff outside of Fernandez but if the staff and the pen can keep them afloat, I think that defense and the batting order could definitely make them wild card contenders for sure.

Title
    kind of respected user

Quote Originally Posted by crailtap View Post
    How do you feel about Miami's chance of making the playoffs this year?
    I'd put the chances as... slim.

They'll obviously be better than last year, but they're not winning that division (nats) and there's a few other NL teams I'd take ahead of them in the wildcard.

NL central is stacked with the cards still being the cards, Pirates look like they could contend (watch out for Kang too, I think he's gonna be good), the cubs should be on the verge of the playoffs, and the brewers haven't lost much from last year when they led the division most of the year. I really wouldn't be surprised if both wildcard teams come from that division.

then the NL west winner will probably either be LA or SD, and whoever gets second also has a good chance at a wildcard.

I mean I wouldn't say it's no chance, but there's a lot of teams vying for those few spots and most of them seem a little better than mia.

Title

Yeah I think that despite all of the moves the padres made, the dodgers still own that division. Most of me thinks that but the other half of me isn't sold on the dodgers.

I look at it like this. You've got kershaw and greinke over there, arguably the best one two punch in baseball. Ryu to me is shaky at best and it looks like he is gonna miss some time to start the season. Their fourth and fifth starters are not good at all. This is the era of the pitcher in the MLB right now and I don't care how good of a one two punch you've got at the top of your staff, two pitchers can not carry the work load like that. Their bullpen is shaky as well. Jansen is hurt with that foot issue, he should be out until probably mid may. The rest of that pen is not very good. They lost Hanley and their second baseman who escapes my mind right now, but added Kendrick (good young guy) and Jimmy Rollins (used to be good, old guy). That could work out better for them defensively but you're kidding yourself if you think j roll is gonna put up hanley numbers. Puig the walking circus act put on 20 pounds (not muscle) in the offseason. Dude will not get in the gym. The dodgers have a good team but to me there are some real question marks and even though I don't think it will happen, I could see the Padres pulling a quick one on em late in the season. Don't count those guys out.

Title
    kind of respected user

I don't watch a lot of dodger games but I saw Ryu pitch in person in detroit last year and he got rocked for like 9 earned, so that's my only impression of him lol.

But I feel you about the dodgers having a lot of question marks. Padres kind of do too though, they made big moves but Kemp hasn't been healthy in a few years, Myers has never played more than 88 games, and they'll be relying on contributions from a few young guys if they really want to contend. Either team could take it.

Title

yeah that's what i'm sayin. even if the dodgers do run away with west, the padres are by no means shoe ins for a wildcard spot. you can go out and sign whoever you want but you still gotta make it mesh as a team. kemp and myers could easily both be bang or bust guys this year. and you'd be dumb to rule out the giants over there too. if madbum can put up a cy young caliber year, if cain can get healthy and productive and the young guys on that whole squad can step up, they can contend too. I always thought Pablo Sandoval was over rated a bit, anyway.

Title
    Respected User

Verlander will turn it around, you're right. As a yankee fan. CC Sabathia not so much. When he was a fat bastard on Cleveland up untill 2009 he was a gem now hes skinny and weak lol.

Title
    Respected User

Shame about CC. He was pretty much the last guy who had a chance at 300 wins. Verlander's essentially the next closest guy in terms of pace, but he needs 56 wins in the next 2 years to match CC's. I guess that era's over.

Title
    kind of respected user

Quote Originally Posted by lonechicken View Post
    Shame about CC. He was pretty much the last guy who had a chance at 300 wins. Verlander's essentially the next closest guy in terms of pace, but he needs 56 wins in the next 2 years to match CC's. I guess that era's over.
    he's probably got at least 6 years pitching left though. I think he's like 31 or 32, and he's on a long ass contract.

and supposedly CC gained a lot of weight this summer lol. and not good weight.

Title
    Respected User

Verlander is hurt, saw that coming. A-Rod is the only hope the Yankees have (coming from Yankee fan since '96) Mike Trout will win MVP. Hanley Ramirez will do amazing in Boston since he's now American League.

Title

waino :(

Title
    kind of respected user

Quote Originally Posted by pain. View Post
    waino :(
    I had him on my fantasy team :(

Title

most over rated team in the league right now? I'm going gotta say the mets in the NL and the royals in the AL. Mets got some good young pitching but their offense isn't shit, i (unfortunately) think that the Nats are gonna start to run away with that division come the last month and a half of the season. I could see the Mets getting a wildcard spot if they can get some help on offense. And with KC, I think they are just really feeling themselves and have a swagger about them, because to me they don't really have that many good players on their team. They've got great defense and speed and play good fundamental baseball but once they hit a losing skid I think they are gonna stay stagnant.

Title
    kind of respected user

eh i think the royals are legit

maybe not "best team in baseball" legit, but the young players they've been counting on for years have finally made big strides (moustakas and hosmer especially)

Title

I think they've still got a lot to prove. Their fan base is god awful, too. Serious bandwagoners. I've seen that stadium next to empty for years. And last season, the first four months of the season was the same deal. They definitely weren't the best team in the AL last year, they were just hot and I think they've stayed on that roll.

Hell, currently there are five Royals voted to start the all star game. Salvy Perez is the leading AL vote getter. Alex Rios has played SEVEN games this year is in sixth place for outfielders. I think they're hype. I'm a Salvy fan, but I think the rest of these guys are just average at best. Gotta prove that longevity.

Title
    Desert dreams

I gotta say Tampa and Miami are doing the opposite of what I expected them to do so far.

Title
    Respected User

I'm having a pretty crazy effect on the Nats this year... because you know, fans affect outcome of games. The Nationals are 2-14 in games that I've watched. And what's weirder is, the times when I've tuned in on TV, a player would make a costly error or a reliever would give up a game ending run.

Title

I wouldn't take that personally. The Nationals have blown a lot of games this season with bad defense especially. Desmond alone has what like 13 errors already this season?

Title
    kind of respected user

Quote Originally Posted by pain. View Post
    I think they've still got a lot to prove. Their fan base is god awful, too. Serious bandwagoners. I've seen that stadium next to empty for years. And last season, the first four months of the season was the same deal. They definitely weren't the best team in the AL last year, they were just hot and I think they've stayed on that roll.

Hell, currently there are five Royals voted to start the all star game. Salvy Perez is the leading AL vote getter. Alex Rios has played SEVEN games this year is in sixth place for outfielders. I think they're hype. I'm a Salvy fan, but I think the rest of these guys are just average at best. Gotta prove that longevity.
    yeah I expect them to cool off some but if everyone stays healthy i still think they're a likely playoff team.

One team I really don't think is for real though is houston. They've been winning off the long ball, and that isn't really a reliable plan. They strike out way too much to stay as hot as they've been, and they seem pretty average otherwise. I bet they'll be really good for the first half of the season (or until they slump) and then they'll fall apart like the pirates did a few years ago before they really put it together. Let their young players get another season or two under their belt though and develop some plate discipline and the astros will be contenders.

Title

Keuchel and Muhugh have been beasty at the top of the rotation for houston. Altuve is a pure stud, Carter can mash the ball, they are playing pretty hot ball right now and IMO the AL west is easily one of the weakest divisions in the game right now. I don't think that they'll keep this pace going the whole season at all though. I could see them hanging around most of the season though but I dont see them being a playoff team this year. Maybe in the coming years after some of those younger guys get some experience in the show but I don't see it this year.