Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Turn your home into an indoor skatepark

Now this is my idea of interior design, functional yet practical:

http://iliketowastemytime.com/eat-sl...rders-paradise

This house is pretty rad too:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FUODBXjozdk

Last edited by mpschmitt; 01-22-2015 at 06:26 PM.

Title
    Respected User

yea, i think this is in europe, it was featured on the thrasher 30th anniv issue and i think it was a gallery or something. but its mustve been sweet if this was your actual room. that would be sick. lol
    there are no great men, only weak men in the hands of a great God.

My wife keeps telling me we should finish the basement...

Title
    Respected User

put rails on your basement. lol :D

Title
    Moderator 2: Judgment Day

way too pristine. This is my sort of skate house:

http://youtu.be/T9SkJ_mAHsg?t=30m2s

If your headphones arenít beats by dre youíre a peasant :^)

Title
    Gay Motherfucker

This is my dream.

Title
    Respected User

Or you go outside lol. I understand if the conditions are bad so you can't skate but then wait for the bad weather to go away and then skate

Title
    Perma Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trollskater View Post
    Or you go outside lol. I understand if the conditions are bad so you can't skate but then wait for the bad weather to go away and then skate
    Aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollskater View Post
    Totally. The fresh air is always better, but it's nice to have a place to skate when the snow comes down. I actually built this in my basement last year, and it's been so good to have.
    It's only two feet high, but I put a 48" transition radius on it so it's pretty fun:
    (Though I have already learned by sad experience that I need to pad that pole)

Last edited by mpschmitt; 01-24-2015 at 04:40 AM.

Title

I've got a couple 18 foot parking blocks in my basement. They're fun as hell to skate. This winter has been awesome so I've been able to spend time skating street outside though.
    "Skateboarding is, was, and always shall be sacred to me...I love it so much I want it to die"-Jason Jessee

Title

My problem with the whole concept is that I would want to keep adding more and more, but I am limited to the interior of my house. Just build a backyard half-pipe imo.

edit: not to mention skating outdoors is so much more refreshing than skating indoor parks.

Title

Hmmmm...skating out doors is refreshing? I take it you don't spend much time in the streets huh?
    "Skateboarding is, was, and always shall be sacred to me...I love it so much I want it to die"-Jason Jessee

Title

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest_Mike View Post
    Hmmmm...skating out doors is refreshing? I take it you don't spend much time in the streets huh?
    ..what?

Title

I just think it sounds ridiculous that you find outdoor skating "refreshing" It's just weird. Usually people find things refreshing when they don't do said things very often.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest_Mike View Post
    I just think it sounds ridiculous that you find outdoor skating "refreshing" It's just weird. Usually people find things refreshing when they don't do said things very often.
    Eh.. I see where you are coming from. I just meant the overall pleasant feeling of being outdoors. Search refreshing in google images to see what I meant.

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by mpschmitt View Post
    Totally. The fresh air is always better, but it's nice to have a place to skate when the snow comes down. I actually built this in my basement last year, and it's been so good to have.
    It's only two feet high, but I put a 48" transition radius on it so it's pretty fun:
    (Though I have already learned by sad experience that I need to pad that pole)

now thats rad man.. happy for you.. at least it would refrain you from terrorizing other peoples property.. thru that, you can skate as much as you want, and you get to hang out with your kids.. talk about grounding them - if i had that on my basement, i would mind if id be grounded til i wreck those minis. lol

Title
    Moderator 2: Judgment Day

yeah, I wish I had a little mini setup like that. looks fun

If your headphones arenít beats by dre youíre a peasant :^)

Quote Originally Posted by jshnrz View Post
    now thats rad man.. happy for you.. at least it would refrain you from terrorizing other peoples property.. thru that, you can skate as much as you want, and you get to hang out with your kids.. talk about grounding them - if i had that on my basement, i would mind if id be grounded til i wreck those minis. lol

Nice call back to my "being a conscientious skater" thread. Yeah, in the confines of my own home, there's no chance of terrorizing innocent bystanders.
    "This is your life, are you who you want to be?"
    ~Jonathan Foreman

"For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
    (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ" 2 Corinthians 10:3-5

Title
    Respected User

Nice call back to my "being a conscientious skater" thread. Yeah, in the confines of my own home, there's no chance of terrorizing innocent bystanders.
    lol yea man.. haha get us some clips bro.. sick!

Title

Haha bit of Viva la Bam? First time i ever saw ramps inside a house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtN5rUu8tgQ

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the Conqueror View Post
    yeah, I wish I had a little mini setup like that. looks fun

One thing I'm starting to realize is that I'm seeing more and more cement dust build up, which, as I understand it, is not very healthy for a fellow to breathe on a regular basis. I'm probably going to convert it to a full halfpipe (with wood flat in the middle) and seal the floor in order to minimize that junk in the air.

(Oh and the surface is quarter inch ply instead of masonite, because I hear that masonite gives of some toxic dust of it's own as well)
    ~Jonathan Foreman

(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ" 2 Corinthians 10:3-5

Okay y'all. I did a little upgrade and converted it into a full on half pipe.
    No more breathing cement dust, and smooth as butter.
    ~Jonathan Foreman

Title

(IMAGE)

Damn man, that looks like a lot of fun! I really want to build something like this for my home at some point... If I get a house with a good garage or a nice basement I'd like to actually go full skate mode with it.
    ATM 8.0
    Krux Standard Forged
    Spitfire F4 101a 52mm
    Bronson G3s

Quote Originally Posted by Chance_S2K View Post
    Damn man, that looks like a lot of fun! I really want to build something like this for my home at some point... If I get a house with a good garage or a nice basement I'd like to actually go full skate mode with it.
    It's definitely nice to have for the winter months and rainy days (or when I get back from work late and it's too dark to hit the outdoor skatepark near us - no lights unfortunately)

I'm still terrible at tranny having always been strictly a street skater growing up, but this is helping me learn and get better generally with my balance and board control.

Take a page from my lessons learned if you decide to build something indoors. Make sure you maintain the air quality in the space since it is indoors. Choose materials that are okay for indoor use (apparently exterior and exposure grade ply is still okay for interior, but for the top layer I'd still go with interior hardwood). Contact with the cement floor will stir up cement dust which is bad for you (Silicosis, etc.). Masonite apparently is also bad because it gives off dust that is terrible for you when it is stressed like it is on a ramp, which is why I stuck to plywood. The top layer is sanded maple quarter inch ply to give it a smooth, hard surface. It's a little less grippy than regular plywood, but you don't get splinters when you bail, so that's a plus.

Also if you notice, the transition on the left has pvc coping, but the one on the right has black iron pipe. The iron is preferable because the PVC is so slick that it's a little unpredictable and dangerous. I'm probably going to save up and get another length of black pipe at some point to replace it because it makes me hesitate a bit on that side whenever I ride up to it, and we all know what happens when you don't commit.
    Last edited by mpschmitt; 03-07-2015 at 09:57 AM.
    ~Jonathan Foreman

Title

That looks so sick. I'm not in a housing situation where I can really do that atm so I'm kinda stuck until the weather warms up. But imo mini ramps are the best "house skatepark" option, you don't want to overdo it with too many obstacles, but a mini ramp is great for honing your skills before you take tricks to bigger stuff. A mini and a rail or two would probably be a realistic setup, if I was super rich maybe an outdoor bowl and stuff.
    #KeepSkateboardingFun
    Throne Skateboards | Throne Clothing