Title

Default Popping shields off of bearings...

So I've seen people pop the shields off of their bearings and it just seems like another fad to me but I was wondering...does this actually have any effect on the bearing besides make it last a shorter amount of time? I know people do it because it apparently sounds better to them but I've even heard some people say it makes the bearing go faster. Stupid question, I know but I'm just curious...

Title
    olwXcrew

sounds louder, makes it easier to clean since you dont have to fuck about taking shields on/off

attracts dirt quicker tho

Title

Pros do it because it sounds cool but they get free bearings. Unless you get them free as well or just don't care about throwing money down the drain, leave them on.

Shields are there to protect your bearings from dirt getting in them. The dirt creates micro scratches on the balls and races. This reduces the tolerances and makes you slower. There's a reason why no bearing company would ever sell them without the shields

Title

Pros don't have to worry about buying bearings in most cases, so for them it's probably a why not type of thing. I wouldn't do it though due to dirt.

Title
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by BMCsteve View Post
    Pros do it because it sounds cool but they get free bearings. Unless you get them free as well or just don't care about throwing money down the drain, leave them on.

Shields are there to protect your bearings from dirt getting in them. The dirt creates micro scratches on the balls and races. This reduces the tolerances and makes you slower. There's a reason why no bearing company would ever sell them without the shields
    This is THE answer.
    Anything disagreeing with this is basically wrong...