Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Title
    kind of respected user

Quote Originally Posted by fallenskater425 View Post
    I didn't mean it offensively, they literally wear skirts and the majority of schools only have it as a girls sport lol.

But comparing the contact in american NFL football to football (not soccer) anywhere else isn't even comparable. Without those helmets all of them would have PCS and would have dementia by their 50's. I assume Australian football is more like rugby where most of the contact is being dragged down as opposed to head on head, head on shoulder collisions.

Rugbys- highest force for a tackle was recorded at approx 1600lbs

Nfl- 4600lbs

nhl- i assume is much more due to faster velocity and more room to accelerate usually. The unstable surface also makes the impact bigger.

Hockey wins just based on this video

http://youtu.be/-5xkMNIt-5k
    yo I'm a hockey fan and it's definitely one of the toughest sports, but I don't think the hits actually have more force than football. maybe they do, but I feel like both players being on ice makes it a little smoother (and charging penalties prevent the biggest hits).

In footbal your just on grass/turf, so your feet are stuck into the ground when you get, whereas in hockey you slip more easily. idk.

hockeys definitely tough though regardless, taking a puck or a stick to the face must hurt bad as fuck.

Title
    Yada, Yada, Yada

The forces are probably close, while most football players have the mass, hockey players definitely have the acceleration. (F=M*A). But even if the football hits were to have more force, hockey hits are still more devastating due to the hard unstable surface, and also hitting the boards at great speeds. I've been laid out pretty badly in both, but hockey definitely takes the cake lol.

Charging is usually only called when it's a head-shot (even though thats not necessarily what the penalty implies), which is penalized in the NFL too.

Title
    Banned

Fudopi it's more like one of those things that if you've actually played competitively in both you can tell the difference pretty easily. Never hit/got hit as hard in football as I did in hockey and with hockey you can go a lot faster than football and still have guys with a lot of mass too. But yeah like fallen said there's a lot more factors that play into hockey like the ice surface and the boards. Which if you get hit in the death zone (2-3ft from the boards) it can really fucking hurt.

Title
    kind of respected user

yeah I mean I played football when I was younger, never played hockey competitively but I don't doubt that you guys are right. it's an interesting discussion at least.