Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MLB Season 2014

Title
    Mustard

Ah, well when you wrote the post the Brewers were clearly still number 1.

Title
    kind of respected user

Quote Originally Posted by Relisch View Post
    Ah, well when you wrote the post the Brewers were clearly still number 1.
    no they were tied at winning percentage, like I just explained. at the time that had both won 2/3 of their games. meaning even if you projected the rest of their season, they would've been on pace to have the same record.
    Last edited by Fudopi; 05-12-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Title
    Mustard

Ok.

Title

Jose Fernandez most likely gonna have to go under the knife and get tommy john. Such a bummer, young kid with great stuff. They were super careful with him too. Never over worked him or anything like that. Sucks to see him go down like that.

Title
    Respected User

Seriously, my team may be the Nats, but I never like seeing great young pitchers get the TJ or shoulder surgery. Jose Fernandez and Matt Harvey included.

As a side note, Leo Mazzone was on ESPN talking about his "theories" on how to keep young pitchers healthy. Granted, I don't know nearly as much pitching as he does... but he acquired a Greg Maddux who had already grown past the "injury nexus" of young pitchers (data shows pitchers are most fragile before the age of 23). Smoltz had multiple serious injuries. And Glavine was a soft tosser. And he never mentioned the top young pitchers he couldn't protect: Steve Avery, Damian Moss, Kevin Millwood.
    Last edited by lonechicken; 05-14-2014 at 08:12 AM.

Title
    Mustard

Pitching is the funnest part of baseball. Tanaka is so exciting. It is a shame about Fernandez.

Title
    kind of respected user

it always makes me wonder what's different in the arms of certain pitchers who are some of the hardest throwers in baseball and they never have any major arm injuries throughout their career, then a lot of up and coming strike out pitchers can't stay healthy.

like is it just a genetic thing that some guys have more durable arms or are they taking care of their bodies differently.

sucks about fernandez cause him and stanton were the only reasons to ever watch the marlins.

Title
    Respected User

I'm guessing that's a major factor. Not everyone can throw 95 most of their career without serious injuries like Clemens (heh) or Nolan Ryan.

There are so many factors though. Pitch count, innings count, high stress situations, pitch counts within innings, pitch count over 2 or 3 starts combined, increase workload from one year to the next...

Data has shown that kids who have heavy workloads in little league, highschool, and college will break down more easily if they do pro ball. Ignoring that would be foolish since that's a factor that's actually backed by numbers.

Whereas other theories can't always be proven... ie. "oldschool pitching coach A" says if you baby Jose Fernandez, the lack of use catches up to him. Well, there's only one Jose Fernandez. You can't go back in time and run the experiment again with him throwing more rather than less. Same goes for a theory that Mark Prior broke down because he threw too much. You can't go back in time to test what'd happen if he was baby-ed. So the only reliable thing is to play the percentages and pay attention to data.

Title
    kind of respected user

yeah all the wear and tear stuff is obviously legit. more innings and use on the arm = high chance of it breaking down.

I know not everyone can be nolan ryan like you said, but for the guys who are I wonder what they do different or if they were just born with invincible arms.

justin verlander for example has thrown in the mid-high 90s his entire career and even hits 100 at times but he's never had an arm injury. and he's thrown the most innings in baseball since 2006.

Title
    Mustard

Did you guys see that high school pitcher that pitched for 14 innings and threw like 194 pitches? Not sure why the coach kept him in that long.

Title
    kind of respected user

Quote Originally Posted by Relisch View Post
    Did you guys see that high school pitcher that pitched for 14 innings and threw like 194 pitches? Not sure why the coach kept him in that long.
    didnt hear about it but that's fucked up. Im surprised the umpires let him/the kid was even able to. Keith olberman just said on espn in regards to what we've been talking about "pitchers need to pace themselves, save some for the last batter. even nolan ryan did it." I forgot all about that. a lot of the best pitchers in the game don't come out throwing their hardest on every pitch, they pace themselves a bit. I feel like that makes a lot of sense too.

just saw on espn derek jeter got pulled for defensive purposes... I can't decide if I think that's funny or fucked up.
    Last edited by Fudopi; 05-15-2014 at 10:08 PM.

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by Fudopi View Post
    just saw on espn derek jeter got pulled for defensive purposes... I can't decide if I think that's funny or fucked up.
    Pretty funny. He's always been a bit overrated defensively. When ARod got to NY, Jeter should have been the one to move off of SS. Now, he's not only average like back then, he's a liability.

Title
    kind of respected user

my only beef with jeter... well it's not really with jeter personally, but the yankees and their fanbase, is the damn farewell tours.

mariano rivera is the best closer of all time, that's a fact. but a farewell tour wasn't necessary.

derek jeter is cool and all but there has been and will be superior players who will retire and not have a stupid farewell tour.

a farewell tour is a very yankee thing to do.

Title
    Respected User

my only beef with jeter... well it's not really with jeter personally, but the yankees and their fanbase, is the damn farewell tours.

mariano rivera is the best closer of all time, that's a fact. but a farewell tour wasn't necessary.

derek jeter is cool and all but there has been and will be superior players who will retire and not have a stupid farewell tour.

It is. Though I recall a couple of guys who weren't Yankees that got farewell tours. But that's upper echelon stuff. Like Ken Griffey Jr, Biggio and Bagwell.

Title
    kind of respected user

Quote Originally Posted by lonechicken View Post
    It is. Though I recall a couple of guys who weren't Yankees that got farewell tours. But that's upper echelon stuff. Like Ken Griffey Jr, Biggio and Bagwell.
    even if they did I don't remember it being as over blown as any of the recent yankees ones.

Title

yeah all the wear and tear stuff is obviously legit. more innings and use on the arm = high chance of it breaking down.

I know not everyone can be nolan ryan like you said, but for the guys who are I wonder what they do different or if they were just born with invincible arms.

justin verlander for example has thrown in the mid-high 90s his entire career and even hits 100 at times but he's never had an arm injury. and he's thrown the most innings in baseball since 2006.
    Yeah, it's kinda crazy. You see these young guys on pitch counts and innings limits, sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. I think it's kind of a sham myself, I think a pitcher's arm is obviously going to be more likely to get hurt the more it gets used in extreme cases obviously, but it just kind of seems to me that it mostly varies from guy to guy. You see guys like fernandez go down who the Marlins were super careful with, but guys like verlander like you said throw gas and high innings and dont get major injuries. Even back in the day, my man bob gibson was 251-174 career win loss and still pitched 255 career complete games. Thats insane to me.

Chipper's farewell tour a year or two back or whatever was a way bigger ordeal than either of jeter's or mariano's, and id rather have either of the two yanks on my squad over chipper. It is a little over the top and showey but those guys are first ballot hall of famers no doubt and its a cool gesture.

Title
    kind of respected user

Quote Originally Posted by pain. View Post
    Yeah, it's kinda crazy. You see these young guys on pitch counts and innings limits, sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. I think it's kind of a sham myself, I think a pitcher's arm is obviously going to be more likely to get hurt the more it gets used in extreme cases obviously, but it just kind of seems to me that it mostly varies from guy to guy. You see guys like fernandez go down who the Marlins were super careful with, but guys like verlander like you said throw gas and high innings and dont get major injuries. Even back in the day, my man bob gibson was 251-174 career win loss and still pitched 255 career complete games. Thats insane to me.

Chipper's farewell tour a year or two back or whatever was a way bigger ordeal than either of jeter's or mariano's, and id rather have either of the two yanks on my squad over chipper. It is a little over the top and showey but those guys are first ballot hall of famers no doubt and its a cool gesture.
    true i forgot all about chipper's.

I'll probably think it's annoying until someone I actually like has one to be honest.

Title
    Respected User

Dudes like Bob Gibson, Walter Johnson, were obviously da bomb. And maybe that's a factor there. They were so far from the norm, that they were durable and the top 0.01% of the professional pitchers to ever play the game. They also were known to "cruise" when they didn't need to strike out the 3 or 4 .230 hitters in the lineup.

I don't think guys today get that or maybe can't afford to do that. Old timers also didn't throw as many sliders and didn't know about forkballs, splitters, knuckle curves, etc.

Title
    Desert dreams

I can't believe how terrible Tampa is right now. Not at all what I was expecting this season. Miami, on the other hand, is still doing decently. I'm still skeptical they can keep it going but they have built pretty nicely over the last few years.

Title
    Desert dreams

Tampa is finally playing up to their potential, 16-5 in the past 4 weeks. Still a ways to go to get into playoff contention but there is hope!

Title
    kind of respected user

Quote Originally Posted by crailtap View Post
    Tampa is finally playing up to their potential, 16-5 in the past 4 weeks. Still a ways to go to get into playoff contention but there is hope!
    they need to stop so david price/ben zobrist can get traded (or leave in free agency for price)

Title

yeah for real, the cardinals are (were?) in the running for price. That would be huge going into september. If we get yadi and wacha back healthy and make the playoffs, a four man rotation of waino/price/wacha/lynn would be completely unreal.

Title
    Respected User

I hope Tampa does well enough into early September so that they don't move anyone. I'd hate to see the balance change in the NL if someone gets Price. The Nats still look like they're dilly dallying, yet they have one of the best records in the NL. I can't wait until they step on the gas pedal.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by lonechicken View Post
    I hope Tampa does well enough into early September so that they don't move anyone. I'd hate to see the balance change in the NL if someone gets Price. The Nats still look like they're dilly dallying, yet they have one of the best records in the NL. I can't wait until they step on the gas pedal.
    the nationals are the angels of the national league. They have talent but it never amounts to anything. I don't see them winning a pennant for a while, and they need a new manager.

I have a feeling that just about every divisional race (except the al central probably) is gonna come down to the last week or last series of the season for a lot of teams. Tight races all around baseball right now. Really excited to see what the playoff picture is gonna look like. Lots of good baseball all around the league this season.

Title
    Mustard

Yeah, this year is really exciting, especially for our division. Pretty much every team besides the Cubs are really in it.