Title
    Rook'

Default nhs personal data thing

Am I the only one confused about the problems with this, I've seen lots of people posting links on fbook talking about how your personal data is gonna be accessible with this, but they are removing personal data, so literately its gonna be like - patient has this illness, treated with this, success/failure, also has this, this and this to consider, drinks, smokes etc but no names or numbers, so doesn't treatment information being better available allow for better medical research ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26239532

Title

Been hearing about this for a while, and I need more information on the implications of the scheme. The part that stands out for me is that the private sector will have access to my data. I'm more than likely gonna opt out. I have had bad experiences with the NHS regarding my data in the past, so I have a serious lack of faith in their assurances of my data being shared "securely" and for my benefit.

Rooster Cockburn: Club of Cool Kids member and overly-zealous COCK worshipper

Title
    Rook'

yeah ok, but again, your personal details about who you are, are to be omitted from what I understand, so it will no longer be "your data" it will just be data about a faceless patient, so again whats the issue, and does the private sector not also do medical research, so doesn't this create possibilities for new treatments to be developed ? at risk of what ? some lab coat knowing that somewhere out there a guy had this and that wrong with him ?

Title

Well, if it's anonymous then I guess it's ok. But I thought this kind of information was already gathered as statistical data. Or are they saying it's not gathered from GPs yet?

Rooster Cockburn: Club of Cool Kids member and overly-zealous COCK worshipper

Title
    Rook'

yeah only hospitals share information so far as I know