Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Title
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    6

    Default Back on the board after 10 years

    Hey Everyone,

    Just got back on the board about 2 months ago after not skating in 10 years.. I got back into it because everytime I saw a kid on a skateboard all it did was make me miss the feeling I had when I was on the board. I honestly do not even remember why I gave it up in the first place.

    I am 25. Friends think I am retarded for getting back on the board. Dont really care.

    A little bit about my setup.

    Alien Workshop 7.75 deck (thinking about going to 8.125)
    Independent Stage Eleven trucks
    Bones 100's 52mm wheels
    Super Reds Bearings

    Just wanted to introduce myself to the older crowd out there and say hey.

  2. #2
    swerv512's Avatar
    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Quit stalkin me, nugga...
    Posts
    2,736

    Default

    welcome back! i got back into skatin last year after over 15 years off. i'm 34 now. you're never too old to have fun! i went from 7.75 to 8.125 after my first 2 decks and i'll never go back- but honestly ride what youare comfy with...
    Current Ride
    Your Mom...

    Backup Ride
    Your Sister...

  3. #3

    Title
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    6

    Default

    When I realized I wanted to get back into it I did a little research and came to the decision to buy the 7.75. After skating it for a bit, I liked it. When I was at the park a kid was riding 8.125 and I tried it out. I enjoyed that a little more. My ollies were higher and easier to land, and my kickflips seemed to be easier.

    I agree that you are never too old. I do feel a little out of place at the park when its all teenagers, and I have already sprained my wrist, but its worth it. There is nothing like coming home from work all day and then getting on the board to forget about it all.

  4. #4
    Faceplanter's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonVoorhies4 View Post
    There is nothing like coming home from work all day and then getting on the board to forget about it all.
    That's the spirit
    Strap on your gee-tar.

  5. #5
    Xen's Avatar
    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica
    Posts
    3,344

    Default

    Welcome back!

    Get the 8 or go larger, especially after being off it for a so long.

    Ditch the Bones 100s and grab a set of Spitfire Formula 4s in 99a.

    Good luck!
    skate more, suck less - go faster - commit

  6. #6

    Title
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    Welcome back!

    Get the 8 or go larger, especially after being off it for a so long.

    Ditch the Bones 100s and grab a set of Spitfire Formula 4s in 99a.

    Good luck!
    Thanks man, that is exactly why I put the setup, wanted to get a little feedback

  7. #7

    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    4,064

    Default

    I'll be 38 in October just coming back after a 20 some odd year break. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I started again.

  8. #8

    Title
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    I'll be 38 in October just coming back after a 20 some odd year break. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I started again.
    Welcome back man.

    What made you decide to pull the trigger and get back into it?

  9. #9

    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    4,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonVoorhies4 View Post
    Welcome back man.

    What made you decide to pull the trigger and get back into it?
    2 things. First was watching "The Bones Brigade The Autobiography" and wondering if Rodney Mullen was as messed up as he appears in the film. Then watching his TED talk. Some of the concepts that he talks about on there led me to pondering shit and almost walking into traffic.

    I decided to pick up a board again and decided to first learn freestyle on a full size board and take an approach similar to Mullen and Kilian Martin. I figured I'd do it on a full size board because they're easier to find and to decrease the learning curve of jumping from a 7.5" to an 8". Now I'm thinking about cutting back to a 7.75" and splitting the difference. I also recently switched out street wheels to freestyle wheels and the difference is like night and day.

  10. #10

    Title
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    2 things. First was watching "The Bones Brigade The Autobiography" and wondering if Rodney Mullen was as messed up as he appears in the film. Then watching his TED talk. Some of the concepts that he talks about on there led me to pondering shit and almost walking into traffic.

    I decided to pick up a board again and decided to first learn freestyle on a full size board and take an approach similar to Mullen and Kilian Martin. I figured I'd do it on a full size board because they're easier to find and to decrease the learning curve of jumping from a 7.5" to an 8". Now I'm thinking about cutting back to a 7.75" and splitting the difference. I also recently switched out street wheels to freestyle wheels and the difference is like night and day.
    Thats awesome. Even though I stopped skating, I still would watch videos every now and then. Towards the beginning of summer I was at Mcdonalds one night at like 1AM and saw a bunch of kids doing tricks over a 6 set. It was that moment I was like, "man I really miss skateboarding" I started watching Youtube Videos, and all that did was make me get the itch even more so I finally went out and bought a board. Only thing that sucks is I live in NH and the winter is soon upon us so I will have to stop skating outside for a few months.

  11. #11

    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    4,064

    Default

    Yeah, I'm originally from Maine. The winters can be especially brutal. If you can find a friends garage where they don't mind you skating you'll have a place to at least work on flatland shit. Looking back the shop where I got my first board had a complete Powell and Peralta Kevin Harris that I should've bought instead of the one that I did get. There was nothing to skate except hills and a gas station island with the pumps taken off in the town where I grew up.

  12. #12
    Valo Negroth's Avatar
    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kawasaki, Kanagawa, Japan
    Posts
    12,375

    Default

    Same with me, after knee injuries and off and on for years finally got back on one. I have to relearn everything even pushing so I have to re-break pushing mongo.

    But you're never too old to get back into it and have fun because after years off you start to really have more fun then when you first started.

  13. #13

    Title
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1

    Default

    hey whats up!!! so, i know this thread is a year old and all...but wanted to reply anyway...i myself am 37yo and after watching so many vids of Kilian and others, i to have found myself wanting to get back into it... REV J, i noticed you mentioned freestyle skate wheels...i am wanting to get into the same skating that you have mentioned as well...could you go alittle further about the freestyle wheel sizing?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •