Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What are some average Skate Park admission prices?

I'm thinking about opening an air conditioned, indoor skate park and was hoping to get some prices from you guys. I live in a super small town and there are no comparables to go by. I would be the only one in town and would have no idea what to charge as far as one time admission fee AND a monthly subscription fee. Obviously if someone doesn't want to come often they could just pay a one time all day fee or if they want to come everyday just pay a monthly set fee etc etc... I'm sure you guys know the drill. Anyways, can I get some local prices you guys have seen that can get me brainstorming? Thanks!

-Alex

Title
    Yada, Yada, Yada

It's $12 per session + a $15 one-time waiver fee for your first session for the park by me.

But it also depends on the quality of the park, insurance costs, popularity, utility costs and a million other things . You better be loaded before even considering opening an indoor park, or at-least a semi-decent one lol.

Why would I need insurance if they sign a waiver?

Title
    Yada, Yada, Yada

You need more coverage then a waiver could possibly give you, especially with such a risky activity. You'd be insane to be a skatepark owner (or any business owner) without insurance. Also, insurance can cover a lot more than just injuries, but fire,theft, building damage, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by fallenskater425 View Post
    You need more coverage then a waiver could possibly give you, especially with such a risky activity. You'd be insane to be a skatepark owner (or any business owner) without insurance. Also, insurance can cover a lot more than just injuries, but fire,theft, building damage, etc.
    Ok, I don't want to get off track but yeah I get you.

So does your local park have a monthly subscription where they can just come everyday for a set price?

Title
    blunted in a 600

Think about the costs of airconditioning a huge warehouse as well; it's probably not practical. I'd suggest big industrial fans

There aren't many pay-to-play skate parks here but the ones that are usually have loyalty/membership programs encouraging skaters to remain loyal and keep spending money there.

Most skate parks here are also have skaters outnumbered by bmx and scooters. If you're looking at revenue raising, maybe have separate nights exclusive for each sport. Ban BMX pegs though
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post
    decide it - go for it - live it - just do it - fake it to you make it - if you can dream it, you can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post

Skate, do strength training, eat healthy things, keep yuor mind healthy, open and clean, (don't fill it with bad news)
    Let the young people inspire you...
    / Henning
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    I want to enter college looking sexy as fuck for the ladies.

Title
    Respected User

My indoor park is 3$ for the whole day and you get a free red bull

Title
    crazy and cute

this is what i got from this thread.

pay to skate
    small town
    fees
    separate skater/bmxer sessions.

all are pin points as to why starting an indoor skate park is bad idea.

but to stay on topic, I paid 15 dollars to skate a park for a whole year. and now that park got torn down so we can skate a FREE park instead.

Title
    Fly Through The Revolution

back in the day, average was like $7. no one charges a fee except one of the newer parks, which is also the only indoor park around. $5 weekdays, $7 weekends. which i think is fucked up since most kids cant skate during the weekdays due to school so why raise the price when they have more free time like on the weekends. prices should be the opposite. park sucks ass anyway, the manual pad is a deathtrap, and there's literally 4 parking spots so you have to park at the kfc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisztomania View Post
    this is what i got from this thread.

pay to skate
    small town
    fees
    separate skater/bmxer sessions.

all are pin points as to why starting an indoor skate park is bad idea.
    The thing is I live in west Texas. We have a local outdoor skate park but it is SO fucking hot that kids don't even start skating till sunset which is like 8 or 9pm and the park has a 10pm curfew. Makes no sense. Nobody can even enjoy it. I think they would appreciate being able to skate indoors, in the shade for a change.

Thanks for the figures though =)

Title
    Respected User

its $12 for an entire day and $7 after like 4 oclock or something, idk Im banned from the one local indoor but I think they have a season pass for like $200 or something and you pay $5 a session I think?
    The indoor I go to is $10 a year and $2/session, I just have to drive an extra 15 minutes to get there is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    U beyond 4Loko. U 10Loko boiiii

Title
    Blatht up on thum Terries

Not to piss on your dreams...but just think about this...and keep in mind these are obviously rough figures, probably on the low side-

Ramps/rails/manny pads etc (cost to build) - $5,000 - $20,000 depending on how nice you want it
    Warehouse lease/mo - $2000 (plus with most commercial spaces they want you to pay the 1st 6 months up front)
    Air conditioning - $500/mo
    Insurance - $300/mo
    Misc utilities - water/sewer/trash/electricity - $300/mo

So with that as a start...that's somewhere in between $8,000 - $33,000 just to open the place. Then an easy $3k/mo just to pay the basic bills.

You live in a small town. Even assuming people from neighboring towns come skate there, and you charge like $10/day...you'd need 300 daily skaters/month just to break even. Is that realistic? I'm assuming you'd want to make a profit and will need to pay back the start-up money you spent...so really you'd need more like 450 - 600 daily skaters/month for this thing to make sense.

Also if people are gonna come skate there often, they either better be spoiled turds whose parents give them $10/day just to skate...or you're gonna have to have a annual membership...say that's $150, which IMO is a tough sell. You are gonna need a TON of people to buy the annual membership if you wanna stay afloat.

Again...not trying to piss on your dreams, but put it this way... I've got a lot of business-running experience under my belt. I live in a pretty decent-sized city with lots of skaters. It also gets hotter than balls here in the summer, and freezes and snows in the winter. So here an indoor park would be ideal. I've thrown the numbers around over and over...even milking it for everything I can (having food/drinks/skateshop to boost profits) it's still a longshot to break even.

God bless you if you can make it happen, but maybe run some numbers first (cost-wise) before you even think about getting started on a venture like this.

Title
    Respected User

I think the biggest indoor park here charges like $8/hour or something like that.

I've toyed around with the idea of opening up an indoor park in my local area, but like Gunz said, it's gonna take a deep pocket. Of course that's not to say that you completely can't do it. You absolutely can make it work, just consider everything before doing anything.

You can try some of those crowdfunding sites like kickstarter or indiegogo (i think there's a bunch more) to try and raise money for it. Would hurt to try.

Title
    crazy and cute

Quote Originally Posted by xpn0yk0nceptzx View Post
    I think the biggest indoor park here charges like $8/hour or something like that.

I've toyed around with the idea of opening up an indoor park in my local area, but like Gunz said, it's gonna take a deep pocket. Of course that's not to say that you completely can't do it. You absolutely can make it work, just consider everything before doing anything.

You can try some of those crowdfunding sites like kickstarter or indiegogo (i think there's a bunch more) to try and raise money for it. Would hurt to try.
    way to help him up and then kick him down you dog

Title
    Respected User

You actually have to do the math the other way to determine how much you have to charge, and then decide if the market will pay it.

Lets assume you have enough to build ramps and just look at monthly operating costs.

My bet is your gonna be looking at like $10k/month or more. So say $120000/year. Thats $328/day. Maybe you think you can get 25 kids/day?

You would need to get $13/day from 25 skaters to pay your overhead. You probably want to make a profit so you want like 30-50 skaters per day.

Obviously thats just a really rough estimate but thats how you determine your pricing.

Title

I meander this site during school (specifically during my Business Class) and this has been the golden nugget I've been looking for.

The nearest indoor park to me charges $20 for the day, $15 for two hours. It's right inside a mall though, and the park is pretty good.
    steeznamese.tumblr.com

We don't eat, we drink and we skate \m/

Title
    \_(ツ)_/

The two indoor parks I go to charge $7.00. I wouldn't go above $10.00 unless you have a HUGE extravagant park, as they usually don't draw in a "regular" crowd, and most kids will only want to go there once in a while, which probably won't be enough to maintain.
    Chase Gabor tied a kid down and sodomized him with a screwdriver.

Title

just build a mini ramp and charge 3 bucks for day sesh

Not to piss on your dreams...but just think about this...and keep in mind these are obviously rough figures, probably on the low side-

Ramps/rails/manny pads etc (cost to build) - $5,000 - $20,000 depending on how nice you want it
    There's a lot of low wage manual labor here with Mexico literally a 2 minute walk away. Getting a few of them to screw some ramps together would definitely be under about $2,500.

Warehouse lease/mo - $2000 (plus with most commercial spaces they want you to pay the 1st 6 months up front)
    I've already looked at a local vacant factory in the middle of some neighborhood and their rent is $600. Granted, it's not enormous. Maybe a good 4,000 sq ft but hey, small town. Going together with the ramps, less space equals less ramps. I'm pretty sure I could only fit about $2,500 worth of ramps in that place even if I wanted more than that.

Air conditioning - $500/mo
    Yeah, another user brought up an alternative of using industrial fans. I think I'm going with that path.

Insurance - $300/mo
    Misc utilities - water/sewer/trash/electricity - $300/mo
    Sounds about right

So anyways, those are my figures. The cost of living here is super cheap so I've never typically seen commercial rent be over $1,000 unless it was on our main street. (We only have one main street that ironically or not called Main St.) Thanks for the figures though. Those sound spot on for a decent sized city. You seem to really know your stuff =)

Quote Originally Posted by Lisztomania View Post
    way to help him up and then kick him down you dog
    I lol'd at that.

Title

You won't even come close to buying lumber to build ramps with $2500. That'll get you around 25 sheets of skate lite. You'll need more than that for 4000 square feet. Then you need 2x4s, plywood, coping, screws and more.

Not trying to be a downer. Just want you to go into it informed.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDemoted View Post
    The thing is I live in west Texas. We have a local outdoor skate park but it is SO fucking hot that kids don't even start skating till sunset which is like 8 or 9pm and the park has a 10pm curfew. Makes no sense. Nobody can even enjoy it. I think they would appreciate being able to skate indoors, in the shade for a change.

Thanks for the figures though =)
    What city you in? Texas is very brutal in the summer

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Quote Originally Posted by straightskatin View Post
    You won't even come close to buying lumber to build ramps with $2500. That'll get you around 25 sheets of skate lite. You'll need more than that for 4000 square feet. Then you need 2x4s, plywood, coping, screws and more.

Not trying to be a downer. Just want you to go into it informed.
    I forgot to mention I can get supplies from Mexico too. Their prices are nowhere near what they are here in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyRules View Post
    What city you in? Texas is very brutal in the summer
    A little shit hole town called Del Rio. I used to live in El Paso btw! Haha.

Title

One is free, one is $8 an hour.