Why the bump lol That person probably isn't even on the site anynore

Title

Moi ouais

Title
    Perma Banned

Me

Title

Thread resurection!

I'm from Quebec too, born and raised in Montreal and I'm now near Trois-Rivières

Title
    Chronic Discontent
    I am not going there to die, I am going there to find out if I am really alive

I have a question for you french speaking candaians, why is your location in canada so hostile to anyone who speaks english?

Title

I'll try to answer your question as best as I can. Sorry for my bad english, writing this I'm realizing how many mistakes I'm doing, I don't know what happening to me today.

First of all, what you said is not true. SOME french canadians hate english-speaking people, but I'll be darn honest with you, the rest of Canada hates us even more. We might have deserved it tho. more on that later.

There are a lot of false information going on about us. like I said, SOME people hate english-speaking people for no reason. the same as SOME english-speaking people hate french speaking people for no reasons. there are assholes everywhere. We have some of them, and you also have some lol.

See we are really proud about our french, and we don't want to loose the french. Some people exagerate the anti-english thing. I personally think its important for us to keep our french alive, but not to the point where we should have anything against english. Too many people can't make the distinction between promoting french and hating english. Those are two very diffrent things.

The government (the PQ - or Parti Québécois - that is) is all about French, and even wants so sepperate Quebec from the rest of Canada. This is completely imbecile as 1-the Quebec Government fucks us over waaaaaay more than the Government of Canada. I wouldn't want to give all powers to the Government of Quebec, we will be in deep trouble. If that happens, I'm moving to somewhere else in Canada, but I'm not staying here that is for sure! 2) they basically say "fuck english", and want to sepperate from Canada... if you don't speak english, and are surrounded by english-speaking countries, who will you do business with then? That would be completely ridicoulous. And those people are the reason why some people think french canadians hate english speaking people. This is not true at all. the PQ hates english. the rest of us have nothing against English. Those are the people that makes the rest of the world think we hate anglophones. But we really don't!

So for the most part, we have nothing against our english-speaking people. I'm actually proud to say I'm bilingual (even tho I'm failing at speaking english right now lol). I never dissed anglophones and don't see any reason to do so. I try to practice my english as often and as much as I can. To me, french is important, so is english.

So long story short, we are not hostile towards english speaking people. the PQ is. I NEVER voted for them and never will. Those are crazy motherfuckers. I would never be hostile to somebody because of the language they speak.

Its always a question of people's bias. Its just like the people from the USA (not saying its all of you guy's case, its just many, MANY americans thinking like that) that thinks we live in igloos and that we are basically a third world country. The eskimos up there in the northernmost part of canada might still live that way. But those are not "canadian people" per se... Please don't get me wrong on this. they ARE Canadians. But its just a small group of people, that were living here way before it was actually called "Canada", those are people that were here before the USA even existed. Canada is just as developped as the USA. but people don't know us and beleive anything they ear about us. There even documentaries on us that portrays us that way and its so fucking stupid. I remember seeing a FRENCH (from France) documentary on us that showed a guy going on a dog sled, and saying basically "this is how canadians travel". WTF???? dog sledding is a hobby! nobody actually use them to travel around... we did. 500-600 YEARS ago. Today, its nothing more than a hobby that maybe 0.01% of the population ever tried. I've NEVER been on a dog sled before. lol.

So yeah. there are a LOT of false informations about us. anybody that actually came here go back home thinking that we are the most welcoming people ever. We have beautiful landscapes, beautiful women ( :P ), and very nice and welcoming people. My parents use to rent their 2nd appartment to travelers from all around the world, we got to know so many people from so many diffrent cultures, and everybody told us they LOVED Quebec because of people being so nice! There is even a brittish family that come to Canada every single year, they rented my parent's appartment at least 3 or 4 years in a row. Since my mother passed away 2 years ago, my dad stopped renting the appartment that way(too much work for a dude that lives alone), but apparently they still come to Montreal every year and visit my dad. Quebecers are very, very welcoming people. We are NOT hostile at all. Don't let the assholes make you think otherwise. There are assholes everywhere :(

Title
    Chronic Discontent
    I am not going there to die, I am going there to find out if I am really alive

I have family that drive semi trucks into Canada all the time and my Uncle cannot even use the phone at the hotels they stay at, the second he says Hello they hang up on him every single time. He has to use what little french he knows to even keep their attention.

I know a fair bit of Quebec from his perspective and everything I've heard the french canadians are just dicks, my uncle is even french canadian from his parents but he was raised in Seattle.

Title

Well its a fact that small towns/village has a much lower education level so the amount of people speasking english is a lot lower than say Montreal or at some small villages and bigger town along the US Lines and near Ontario. But everwhere else in Quebec, its true that there are a lot more people that can't speak engliish at all. Like I said I've been born and raised in Montreal, where a lot of people are at least bilingual, quite often trilingual or quadrilingual(sp?) for some other ethnicities who also kept their mother tongue as well as learning French and English. You do also find some people who can't speak English in Montreal of course but usually people can at least communicate. Not necessarily 100% right but you know.

In suburbs like where I live now, I admit a lot more people can't understand crap in English. At my job I'm the only bilingual, there is another guy who have the vocabulary down but the pronounciation is funny as hell. haha. The rest of my team barely understand English like they can't even watch a show in English lol.

I would expect your father to have stayed in smaller towns/villages as I don't see a guy parking a semitrailer in montreal for a night at the Hotel, that would be like parking the truck in Manhattan... (not quite but pretty darn close). Also probably not at a 5 star hotel... doing that job you sleep in hotels all the time that would not be very efficient to get expensive hotels... So lower class hotels in small towns with lower education, and for a trucker who will most likely never set foot in this town again... They probably didn't give a shit. But that would be the same for me... If I was to go to a small town in the middle of Texas and got there talking french, they would probably not give a darn about me either lol. I've been to NYC with a friend of mine and 2 French students on a student exchage in Quebec, the 2 girls didn't speak English, and the guy switched to french lol. So you know. I'd expect the same thing here to happen. Its too bad tho I mean when you work with public, I don't give a shit if your hotel is a pile of dump or a 5 stars, you have to be nice with the clents... So I'm not saying its okay he got treated like that.

But I can assure you we are some very welcoming people :)

Title

Yea, Im taking pic from mtl, shot out if you want to do a session.
    Photo stuff here ( link )

Title
    é

I missed this discussion as it was happening.

The French language is an important part of the national identity and I think it should be emphasized more.
    Outside of Quebec very few places speak French - no one really cares. Even parts of Quebec are becoming more and more anglophone (right? Isn't that happening in Montreal?). In school, French was mandatory from first grade to ninth grade but no one really knew how to speak it, we just did elementary grammar. I'd like to see more of an emphasis of French in schools, have it be mandatory until 12th grade and make it a bit more rigorous. There's a book called White Niggers of America that I've been meaning to read. It talks about how French Canadians are an oppressed group. I can definitely see where that argument comes from.

Lately I've been trying to improve my French. If any native speakers want to chat, then send me a message and don't be shy about correcting my sentences.

Title
    Respected User

Most of us, (well not me), in quebec, think the french language is an important part of our ''culture'' and that people in MTL should be served in french. My first language is french. I was in a pizza restaurant the other day, the cashier looked turkish. We ordered and my friend got a bit mad cuz he was served in english. I think it's a bit unfair to think that a turkish, indian, asian person should talk in french. I mean for christ's sake, english is ranked 3rd in the top 10 most spoken languages in the world, (french isn't even there). It's pretty normal for foreign people to learn english before any other language when coming to canada.

So I say fuck that, language is only a means to communicate, and not a cultural tool.

Title
    é

That last sentence makes an interesting point.

I disagree with you. I think that language is an important part of a group's identity. I'm sure you've heard the phrase “language informs consciousness". Different languages offer different perspectives. One interesting example: "the sun and the moon" in French is "le soleil et la lune" but in German it's "die sonne und der mond". The grammatical gender of the two objects flip between languages. This is one reason why French and German speakers think differently of these objects. Apollo is associated with the sun and knowledge: he is a man. I think the natural inclination is to say: sun is male/ moon is female. Something in the German tradition is different.

A lot of history is also present in a language. Just by looking at similarities between languages you can guess which peoples were in contact with each other.

Title
    Perma Banned

Hello from Quebec! I'm primarily english, my dad's french but speaks good english. We all joke around making stereotypes about each others origins and shit, but my french grandmother can't say or understand a word in english. I think a lot of Quebecers are biased and close-minded when it comes to attempting english, or being reasonable people and not dicks.

Title

Hey j'suis du Qc