Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title

Default why some core skaters hate corporate company

i just read in one of the threads. but not in here. that some who claims they are core skate shop/ hardcore skaters that they don't like corporate companies to be around skateboarding. heck they dont even want to support their stuffs. and they only want skaters to support the company who was there during the beginning. and they only want skaters to benefit from skateboarding.any thoughts?

Title
    Respected User

hmm, try to watch the video, "We Are Skateboarders", maybe youll understand some or most of their sentiments. :D
    there are no great men, only weak men in the hands of a great God.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by StarcraftLedZeppelin View Post
    They want to be in some sort of counter culture fuck the man group, probably view it as selling out to the corporate machine.

If skateboarding becomes too popular then all the people they hate will be wearing all his favorite brands & riding his favorite boards then skateboarding is not cool.
    so does it mean they dont want it too be popular so they will be the only one who's cool? do they just want to keep it to themselves?

Title

Quote Originally Posted by jshnrz View Post
    hmm, try to watch the video, "We Are Skateboarders", maybe youll understand some or most of their sentiments. :D
    Just finished watching that.. it was an awesome movie

Title
    Respected User

it might suck to have corporations in skating but its good thing for the industry and the average skater... better/more products available and its prolly good for skating's PR too

Title
    Respected User

they kill skater-owned companies
    Some people (including myself) want to buy products from companies owned by others that understand and love the sport
    but corporate companies do have more money to spend on sponsoring events and their products so,
    make you own decision

Title

I don't agree with companies sponsoring skateboarders just so they can sell a product. Unhealthy shit like Mountain Dew and Energy Drinks. Shit that really has nothing to do with skateboarding. It's just a janky way of doing business. Street League and contests like it, at the end of the day aren't really about skateboarding at all. It's just a giant fucking advertisement. There's mountain dew and Nike banners all over the place. Where are the banners for wheel companies, truck companies and deck manufacturers? That shit bugs the hell out of me and I try to avoid that side of skateboarding. I choose to buy companies that are run by skateboarders. I don't drink mountain dew or those gross energy drinks and it will be a cold day in hell before I put a pair of Nikes on my feet.

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by skaterguy69 View Post
    Just finished watching that.. it was an awesome movie
    yea, it was a great doc but kinda sad knowing things arent the same as it was. but hey, nothing is permanent but change.

tho im not really in favor for the core(coz we need it to be commercialize - i dont agree with the capitalists also), but the core is just asking that to get products at least from skate owned or non capitalist shops/stores.

Title
    #CALEXIT2k19#makeCAgr8agn

Watched that documentary last night. Awesome 2 hours spent

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by SIK View Post
    Watched that documentary last night. Awesome 2 hours spent
    yea! none wasted. awesome doc.

Title

here's thread I just started about a recently published article on the subject http://www.skateboard-city.com/messa...89&postcount=1

Title

i kind of hate how skateboarding at the moment is all about fashion and post-emo girls are going around in vans and shit trying to hook up with the 'sk8r bois' and all the skaters are post-emo posers with big ear tunnels, skinny jeans and faded neon keds just so they can pose on tumblr...vans are the main choice of these kids and they just totally live up to it and cash in on it

type vans into tumblr and all you get is pictures like this, it's fucking ages before you even see a skateboard

"omggg i love sk8r boiz <3 so hawt" no lol you love little $waGGG fashion douchebags

I see these girls and guys everywhere, sometimes carrying skateboards or cruisers...they never skate anywhere, maybe just rolling from one place to the other to get a milkshake and then taking faded pics of it on instagram with vans logos all over their iphones

What happened to when skaters were too busy actually skating to take pics of themselves in neon shades and vans slip ons? and wore loose clothes actually meant for skating in?

Guy Mariano - Mouse - YouTube

seems like skateboarding companies care more about hipsters than actual skateboarding

Title

Quote Originally Posted by nyotix View Post
    so does it mean they don't want it too be popular so they will be the only one who's cool? do they just want to keep it to themselves?
    This is sort of the case. In some ways it makes it less "cool" to be into something that is seen as mainstream.

Then again I have seen where when something becomes "mainstream" it sort of loses it's "soul" and becomes just a shell with no real substance behind it.

I was interesting to watch this happen from when I started skating in the mid-80s to when it became very mainstream around 1990 or so . Us "purists" hated companies like Powell Perelta for being too mainstream and gravitated more to Santa Monica Airlines

... oh to be young, and dumb
    Last edited by Sk8rSteve; 11-28-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Title

Skateboarding is supposed to be rebellious in my opinion. When skating gets so mainstream with stuff like the dew tour and street league--i don't know, it just doesn't feel right. True skating shouldn't be about stuff like that.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8rSteve View Post
    This is sort of the case. In some ways it makes it less "cool" to be into something that is seen as mainstream.

Then again I have seen where when something becomes "mainstream" it sort of loses it's "soul" and becomes just a shell with no real substance behind it.

I was interesting to watch this happen from when I started skating in the mid-80s to when it became very mainstream around 1990 or so . Us "purists" hated companies like Powell Perelta for being too mainstream and gravitated more to Santa Monica Airlines

... oh to be young, and dumb
    I'm pretty sure Powell was mainstream only within skateboarding. There weren't just random kids who didn't even skate wearing powell shirts like kids who wear dc crap nowadays.
    Or maybe there were. I don't know, I didnt grow up in that period but I just have a hard time wrapping my head around powell being mainstream in todays standards.

Title
    soldier of the streets

big corporations already have big reputations and thus draw mad money
    when they do that to skateboarding, where the companies are smaller and usually founded in the culture

they begin infringing on everything that makes skateboarding what it is
    and making even more money off of us and taking it from them

of course, its all our choice as skateboarders
    and i know I like many others are guilty of owning a pair (or 10) of Nike SB
    Nike has more meaning to me in terms of footwear, but i still dont like a lot of what they did to skating, but they are giving back

SPOT gets new courses and mad funding all because of their alliance with them
    i really dislike the whole Adidas and CONS following the trend thing though

but you can see they got quite a bit less recognition than Nike

in terms of pros, its obvious.... big corporations are stable and loaded... this translates to higher paychecks and more product and more exposure overall

Title
    Respected User

Because the corporate really only cater to people who only want to look cool or look like a skater in other words a poser. So people that tend to wear these brands try to pose as skater i.e buying those plastic cruisers.
    Last edited by CrailFish; 11-28-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by wallplant View Post
    I'm pretty sure Powell was mainstream only within skateboarding. There weren't just random kids who didn't even skate wearing powell shirts like kids who wear dc crap nowadays.
    Or maybe there were. I don't know, I didnt grow up in that period but I just have a hard time wrapping my head around powell being mainstream in todays standards.
    To some extent there were non skaters wearing Powell shirts. Actually "vision street wear" would be the most popular out there with the non-skate crowd

Title

Don't Do It. If you care about taking back skateboarding then get involved.

Title

key word "try"

fucking hated it as a documentary.

but yeah, i'd say read this article, I found it today.
    http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2012/1...why-it-matters
    Hey, check out this blog where I write about music and stuff!

RIP OneManga.com, July 2010. you were fuckin' awesome

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by CrailFish View Post
    Because the corporate really only cater to people who only want to look cool or look like a skater in other words a poser. So people that tend to wear these brands try to pose as skater i.e buying those plastic cruisers.
    oh man! i dont know if want to say this to the faces of wannabes nowadays. though there are some who are good, but i am sure they never experienced the hey days of what it was during its stand back in the day.

my golly! lets just skate and dont support products we think is destroying what we think of skateboarding is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
    key word "try"

fucking hated it as a documentary.
    yeah! that would be difficult for those who never experienced during skateboardings first stand.

Title

yeah! that would be difficult for those who never experienced during skateboardings first stand.
    eh, say what you will but I'm just saying that it wasn't well organized in terms of the interviews, there were random segments mashed together for no reason, it didn't have a clear or really cohesive message, and it just wasn't well done in terms of doing a documentary.

that and to be honest alot of the skaters aren't really good at explaining things. I don't expect pro skaters to be super amazing English graduates or anything, but it was like some of the guys were half-retarded and didn't really know what they were talking about.
    Hey, check out this blog where I write about music and stuff!

RIP OneManga.com, July 2010. you were fuckin' awesome

Title

is it really a big deal for others to wear skateboarding stuffs. who are not really into skateboarding. do you really have to label them as posers. no offense but everyone has the right to wear whatever they want to, IMO. skateboarding companies can also get revenue with this on the business side... is there a standard in the skateboarding scene that skaters are the only one who can wear those stuffs... and who's standards is it ( the so called hardcores... ) what the heck. let anyone wear whatever they want. let them support who ever they want. i hope some will stop putting labels on others. and dont be affected by those people whom are called posers. it wont affect your skating anyway or your images, right. SKATEBOARDING SHOULD BE FUN. PERIOD.
    Last edited by nyotix; 11-29-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Title

^ we all agree SKATEBOARDING SHOULD BE FUN. PERIOD.
    the problem seems to be related to big companies putting so much preassure and standarising it so much that they are taking the FUN part away from SKATEBOARDING ...

Title

Quote Originally Posted by nyotix View Post
    is it really a big deal for others to wear skateboarding stuffs. who are not really into skateboarding. do you really have to label them as posers. no offense but everyone has the right to wear whatever they want to, IMO. skateboarding companies can also get revenue with this on the business side... is there a standard in the skateboarding scene that skaters are the only one who can wear those stuffs... and who's standards is it ( the so called hardcores... ) what the heck. let anyone wear whatever they want. let them support who ever they want. i hope some will stop putting labels on others. and dont be affected by those people whom are called posers. it wont affect your skating anyway or your images, right. SKATEBOARDING SHOULD BE FUN. PERIOD.
    You say this now, but when you start seeing what having a corporate business in a sport can do, you'll realize how foolish you sound. Think about Walmart, just a corporate company, we well they put out hundreds of thousands of mom and pop shops. Nike will eventually do the same. What brand do you like? Lets say Girl and Spitfire wheels. Soon those will be girl and spitfire owned by nike, you will be rocking a big swoosh on all your shit. Lets take it a step further. I see skateboarding trading cards in the future, complete with stats and such. Want to go even further. Lets create leauges East vs West for simplicity. Now we can have trading and gambling. Is this what you want skateboarding to come to? Its not about "posers" get out of that mindset. Its about taking back what's ours, what pros of the 80s and 90s fought for. Fuck Corporate.