Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Title
    Still <3's Skateboarding

Default How to Kickflip with Troubleshooting

How To Kickflip

Having trouble learning to spin that pesky board? Well hopefully this guide can help

How to Kickflip
    1 - First you first need to know the basics. Make sure your able to ollie consistently and it helps if you can ollie about 2-3 decks at least. Also if you learned other basic moves such as pop shove-its and 180s it would help your balance and timing of this difficult trick

2 - To start off, make sure you do this trick moving. Although there are a few people who prefer to do tricks while doing it still. I donít prefer this method because then it makes you rely on staying still making you a little hesitant when you do start learning it moving. So its best if you just start off moving. Make sure its not too fast but not too slow either, make it smooth and flowing and be sure your comfortable

3 - put your back foot like a regular ollie. Also DO NOT put your foot on the edge of the board. Some people say it helps the pop and flip. But that just screws up your balance and will mess up your flick. So just put your foot AROUND the edge of the board and make sure your feet are balance and comfy because thatís the main part. Now put your front foot about 2-3 inches behind the front bolts. Not on the middle because itís a bit uncomfy and you need more strength in your flip which may screw you up when your just starting to learn it. Now put your front foot 45 degrees so it makes the flick easier and more accurate

4 - Now comes the action, make sure you pop the board hard so your can get a better drag. So then not only makes your kickflip higher, but it also gives you more time to spin the board which is crucial. Everything should be going like a ollie. Now comes the hard part. You need to drag the front foot up as usual. BUT you donít just stop at the bolts, your need to go off the corner of the board where the concave of the nose goes upward. Then this is where the 45 angled foot comes in handy, need to FLICK the board with your foot and not your whole leg. This is where people mess up. DO NOT USE YOUR WHOLE LEG!!!! Or this will mess up your kick flip and you will just overshoot it and thus, screwing up the whole thing. Just with a little power with your ankle, flick your foot out to spin it. I cannot stress this enough, trust me you donít need a lot of strength for this, just a little flick can do it

5 - Now it should be spinning. Pull your front foot back and make sure it doesnít collide with the board. Your back foot is just hanging there waiting for the land. Just wait for the spin to finish and BAM! Slam your feet down to land. The landing should come with instinct and not timing.

6 - Congratulations! You made your first kickflip (in your mind), now just make sure you pop and drag higher to make that kick flip even more sexy! Good luck

My Troubleshooting

Rocket flip - Is your board shooting 4 feet ahead of you?. This is pretty hard to fix if you get into a habit. The problem is that you flicking with your whole leg. Which overpowers the board and your not aiming for the spin. Your basically just ninja kicking that shit. Which is not good. So just make sure you just use your ankle power to flick it. And make sure you flick at the corner and not just the side

Hip Twisting - I had this habit. This is a very difficult habit to get rid off. The reason is because your using your leg to spin the board. But like before, flick with your ankle. But I know this isnít as easy like that. You might be trying to flick but the concave of the board makes your foot follow it and thus your foot spins to the side. The solution is that when your do flick, make sure you donít just drag to flip the board. Make sure you actually use your ankle to flick it. Or else your foot will just miss the flick and move to the side. So just make sure you flick the nose of the board then come back for the catch. Some ways to help you is to put your hands on your hips and try to do it. Kind of uncomfortable but it does help. Also you can imagine yourself in a tight wall. All sides are squeezing you tight. So your wont be able to twist your hips. Good luck
    (P.S. If your only landing with one foot, this is your problem)

Mob flipping - Okay so you are sometimes landing that kick flip, but its ugly as hell and its not balanced out? The answer is simple. Your not flicking, your pushing. You could be just pushing down with your foot not flick nor dragging, just pushing down at the side making it inaccurate and ugly. donít do the easy way out and make sure you flick and drag!

Well thats all i have to say. if there is any other troubles your having, please ask and ill try to update as soon as possible. good luck!!!

As i promised, i updated the troubleshooting thanks to Marevix.Here they are!

Inconsistant Flicking - Well this isnt exactly a "problem". Think of it as a manual, you dont have a actual "technique" to learn the trick. But you just practise it and you later get more experinced at it and its more consistant. So the moral is just practise and the more consistant will be your award

Board Turning Sideways - Well you got the flicking part right, but the problem is that your flicking to hard. This is why a gentle tap will spin the board. So just give a little ankle strength and that will do it

Board Behind You - This is because you are lazy, haha sorry but you are just dragging and you are leaving it at that.You try to flick the board but it is too late haha. So what you do is dont be lazy,concentrate and spin that mofo!
    Sora1421's Troubleshooting
    Flipping Problems

1. Board wont flip.

You have to kind of act like your curling up your toes at the end of the board and when u flick dont just flick out flick up and out. Alot of people when they try kickflips just take there foot and slide it off, but this is not the answer. I tell my people who i meet who cant kickflips to act as though they curl their toes up at the end because it kind of makes you learn the motion even though this doesnt help.

2.Board does a Rocket KickFlip

When the board flys directly up and does not leave the ground but does spin. This is very easy to fix with practice the problem is when your kicking your not moving your foot up and out your just going out not giving it the drag basicly to get up as if in an ollie.

3. Board gets off ground does nosedive(Board may or may not spin)

Ok this one is a bitch to try and fix for people who learn their kickflips wrong like this. The problem is that the people either do not flick the board at the end of the board. Or that after they flick they keep their foot their cause it to try to flip but hitting your back heel. Have a friend watch you or video tape and see where you are flicking off. You want to flick on the concave by the nose pretty much right around the bolt somewhere(depends on where you position your front foot for the flip)Then practice as you do your flick try and bring it out and up a bit more. Just practice not doing it for that one.

4.Board Does not flip but just goes flying way ahead of you.

This is kind of like problem #3 but when you drag and flick the person thinks he needs to drag super hard and flick with his whole foot. Alot of times the persons front foot flys with the board. Drag lighter and just only power to your toes, the ball of your foot actually. Not your whole foot. Also this problem could be happening becuase the person is trying to get their toes on the side of board a lot if your new to kickflips and their back foot toes at very edge so they loose balance and when they pop they lean back to much and their front foot pushes it away. Try to stay above the board at all times.

5.Board goes partialy Varial

Omg this is annoying to try and troubleshoot becuase theirs so many things that could cause this. 1.)Person may have back toes hanging off the edge causing it to scoop into a varial. 2.) Persons back foot may be pushing back towards such as a pop shove it. People tend to do this after learning pop shove-its. 3.) Front foot may be 45 degrees, try and keep it as straight as possible. 4.) Your body may not be straight when u try and flip try to keep your shoulders from moving much and keep them straight.

6.) Board does half flip

O man almost forgot bout this one. This is very simple you are not flicking hard enough or still have not grasped the whole flick out and up thing. I can get double just about when i really try and flick hard but i just flick normally and stomp what is used to me. Practice the whole flicking out and up motion the problem could be you got the whole placing but your flicks could be not flicking up enough.Just practice is all i can say for this one.

Landing

Ok here we go the part most people have trouble with. Theres probbably problems people have that ive never heard of so if theres one thats on here tell me and i will edit this and explain to the best of my knowledge.

1.Board Flips and lands behind the person.

I do this when i loose my balance and fall forward a bit and try to flick while leaning forward. So try to stay directly up above the board. This is basicly cause by either leaning forward to much.Your head should not be past your front bolt. Keep your head straight and dont slant it.

2.Board land to much left or right.

Now usually people's kicks usually land in front of them them to the left or right(to the side more of where it should land) cause you to get only one foot on or miss completley. You can either try and get up more over the board becuase the place your foot has to be for flips makes you lean to the side of your foot a bit. Or you can try and jump for to it. But I would suggest you try and get more up over becuase it looks cleaner when it hovers and doesnt move. Now if the board flips under you (which is rare) your leaning WAY to much the other way.

3.Board lands infront of person.

Once again its the same problem as #4 in the flipping section excet this time it flips and your not leanign back as much. People still tend to loose their balance as they pop becuase their not used to the positioning of the front foot. So try and move your back foot up a tad onto the board untill u get better balance. Trying to get the best pop cant hurt your kickflips for now. Or you might have good balance and just are leaning back still too much. Just concentrate being straight and kick.

4.Can only get one foot on it either front of back

Ok here is where people really have a lot of trouble and people dont usually respond to these as much becuase their hard to answer. The real problem is you could not be comiting if your moving or your not trying to catch the board, your hoping that it will flip and when u land it will be right there under your feet like magic. NO! practice catching your board and looking at your feet. when you see that grip tape stomp on your board and dont be scared. Or you are not sucking your front foot in your flicking out but not up. Flick out and Up! Out and Up!! Then suck your front foot back into you. If you flick where your suposed to and dont move your front foot your either gonna land on the nose or youll miss it completley with the front foot. Suck your foot back into you rather than just up from where u flick.

5.board flips but lands before you do (cannot get feet up in the air after flicking.)

You need to flick out and up with the ball of your foot. As you flick you want to suck up your feet in to you. If you flick down and out its alot harder to get your foot all the way up and ready to slam

this is by Sora and not me. Just to clear this up , I remember this guide way back in the summer days. So props to him

Heres footage on how to kickflip if my guide didn't help you
    http://media.putfile.com/Kickflip1stStep

REMEMBER! PRACTICE THIS TRICK! THIS WON'T COME OVERNIGHT!
    Last edited by Choizy; 11-06-2007 at 11:39 AM.

Title

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That "rocket flip" is my trouble. Let me go try this.
    92% of all teenagers have moved to rap, if you are part of the 8% who stuck with rock, put this in ur profile.

Title

That has got to be one of the best tricktips I have ever seen.Works too!
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (") (")
    Quote Originally Posted by chocolate4life
    Back to you Eddy!

Title
    Respected User

I'm gonna try it tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by theonlysun81 View Post
    but your ronsoofthedirtysouth you can take anyone

Title
    Still <3's Skateboarding

Quote Originally Posted by DaftSkatePunk
    That has got to be one of the best tricktips I have ever seen.Works too!
    hah, im flattered. thanks

Title

thx i had trouble twisting my body but now i dont twist my body and i can kickflip really smoothely with heaps of height also i can kickflips over shit as well thx heaps!!!

Title
    Still <3's Skateboarding

no problem, i just hope some mod will come and sticky this soon.im planning to make a double kickflip, variel flip, heelflip and ollie guide during the week

Title

yer grampa
    I no longer skate es just too lazy to change my name..emerica all the way

put your fist in the beehive!!
    - Crailtap .com

www.nextgenerationskateboards.com

www.yourgrandpa.com

Title
    Naragansett Turkey Monkey

Great thread, but I have one question. How do you make your flick more consistent? The only reason why I'm not landing kickflips 100% is because my flick occasionally makes the board turn or go backwards, but I'm not sure why. When the flick doesn't make the board move a foot behind me or turn 45 degrees backside, it's alot easier to land.

Title
    Still <3's Skateboarding

Quote Originally Posted by Marevix
    Great thread, but I have one question. How do you make your flick more consistent? The only reason why I'm not landing kickflips 100% is because my flick occasionally makes the board turn or go backwards, but I'm not sure why. When the flick doesn't make the board move a foot behind me or turn 45 degrees backside, it's alot easier to land.
    haha sorry, i dont really know what you mean but i kind of get it. well learning to flick its like learning to manual. you dont really have a "real" method to get cosistant at it. you just practise it. just like flicking. i doubt anyone could get the flick 100% down on kickflips. but what you are doing is dragging and just let your foot slide off the nose. which makes it high but inconsistant. just a little more "umph" from your ankle should do

Title

thanks a lot i havent been able to even comprehend the kickflip and i tried it out today and i could flip about 50 percent and land bout 30 percent of those and getting better so thanks mass

Title

my problem is my body twists and when i make the board flip my leg goes straight down to the ground and i have no time to lift my leg

Title
    Still <3's Skateboarding

Quote Originally Posted by zero1992
    my problem is my body twists and when i make the board flip my leg goes straight down to the ground and i have no time to lift my leg
    you are pushing your foot down on the board and not flicking. drag up and use your ankle power to flip and not push it down

Title
    Still <3's Skateboarding

buuuuuump

ive got the hip twisting problem its sucks ass

Title
    Still <3's Skateboarding

Quote Originally Posted by hardcore skater
    ive got the hip twisting problem its sucks ass
    ahha yeah sorry to hear that. trust me you'll get out of it soon enough

Title

yes thank you!!! this is super uber helpfull, i had rocketflip too, i tried to like go faster, it came back some, but i needed to go like 100 mph for it to come all the way back....
    -Dooms

Title
    Perma Banned

i can land 'em but cant get any height because when i go higher my flick's too fast and it lands upside down or double flips. help

Title
    Still <3's Skateboarding

Quote Originally Posted by muppet master
    i can land 'em but cant get any height because when i go higher my flick's too fast and it lands upside down or double flips. help
    okay, i think everyone gets this. again flicking is not a consistant thing from the start. even when you learn kickflips your flicks are gonna be off once in a while. all i have to say is practise. haha not really the answer you were looking for but just practise this a lot. the more you do, the more consistant your flick is. and when it is consistant, you can handle flipping the board and still have control of the board

Title

how do u stay over your board for that long?????

Title

That was some awsome tips that deserves a +rep.Thanks.

Title

hey im having trouble with keeping my front foot near the board but i almost always land with my backfoot
    When life hands you lemons, squeeze lemons in lifes eyes and steal his wallet...:p

Title

you need troubleshooting for getting your front foot on

Title

I gots to go give 'er a try.
    Red, Blue, Yellow, Pink, White, Green, Gray

Title

very informative. makes my trick tips page on my site look like crap
    everyone is inocent until proven guilty but if were suposed to be pressumed innocent then why would we be aprehended in the first place?

support anarchy.

check out my crew www.bluenorthcrew.piczo.com