Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 98 of 98
  1. #76
    Dash's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,342

    Default

    I just got a likely letter from Duke, I love you all

  2. #77

    Title
    Retired Staff
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zahut View Post
    I'm also a senior

    I've applied to Ohio University and Kent State, and i'm probably going to apply to Akron just because all I have left to do is pay the fee and I can commute there, if for some reason I decide to go there.

    But I'm planning on going to Kent State for computer programming. I still have to do a visit though, and I'm guessing colleges don't do visits in the winter.

    EDIT
    I also was originally planning on taking the 4 year course for computer science at Akron or OU because Kent didn't offer it. I looked in to the difference between computer science and computer programming and apparently computer science deals more with code, science,(duh) and the math behind it, while computer programming works more with making software and working with software and stuff like that. But what I'm getting at is, is anyone here knowledgeable about these two majors and able to give me any advice?
    I've got a masters in Software Engineering and I studied nearly identically to Computer Science students bar about one module I believe... Not sure what the difference is between Computer Science and Computer programming but I would just go with computer science in the long run if you actually want to be a programmer. It deals completely with the maths side, programming side and the general thinking you will need. No idea what a computer programming course entails by that description you gave though :/

    I don't get US major/minor; how can you major in a science degree and have art minors. They aren't compatible in the slightest :S
    Days Of The Phoenix
    -=============-
    I remember when I was told of story of crushed velvet, candle wax, and dried up flowers. The figure on the bed all dressed up in roses, calling.beckoning to sleep offering a dream. The words were as mystical as purring animals. The circle of rage the ghosts on the stage appeared. The time was so tangible I\\'ll never let it go. Ghost stories handed down, reached secret tunnels below. No one could see me. I fell into yesterday. Our dreams seemed not far away.

  3. #78
    jrh1196's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    I just got a likely letter from Duke, I love you all
    Dukes a REALLY good school , if you can afford it with like financial aid id definately have that as one of your top choices

  4. #79
    adude113's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    7,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    I just got a likely letter from Duke, I love you all
    Sweet, man. No sarcasm.

  5. #80

    Default

    I'm totally in line with the whole thing LFF said about doing something you love.

    I'm a sophomore now, but I think about college pretty often, and if I were to go now I would definitely be pursuing something in music, and I don't expect that to change.

    The other week my mom was telling me that some college in Tennessee was like number one for audio recording, I think it was Middle Tennessee state or some shit. Anyway Ive already been doing that recording thing for three years and got the grades to probably get a pretty good scholarship there and my moms friends knows good amounts of musical associates there, but I don't really seeing it as a place I know I would fit into and not shooting for it or planning to go there or anything. Not worried about it at moment.

    It would be ideal to go to UC Berkeley because Ive seen the campus and my brother went there, but they fuck over every out of state student and my family couldnt afford another go around. Berklee music school would also be really cool, but I dont know if I have enough "traditional" musical talent to get in there, in fact I only really dream about it, rather than think that I would actually go there, not to say I'm totally giving up on it.

    I really like the bay area though, and think id like to live in Oregon or something, so that plays into it too, but I'm not trying to figure it out right now
    Quote Originally Posted by Boof View Post
    horchata makes me want a penis in my mouth

  6. #81
    SMR's Avatar
    Title
    Absent Friend
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    10,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zahut View Post
    I'm also a senior

    I've applied to Ohio University and Kent State, and i'm probably going to apply to Akron just because all I have left to do is pay the fee and I can commute there, if for some reason I decide to go there.

    But I'm planning on going to Kent State for computer programming. I still have to do a visit though, and I'm guessing colleges don't do visits in the winter.

    EDIT
    I also was originally planning on taking the 4 year course for computer science at Akron or OU because Kent didn't offer it. I looked in to the difference between computer science and computer programming and apparently computer science deals more with code, science,(duh) and the math behind it, while computer programming works more with making software and working with software and stuff like that. But what I'm getting at is, is anyone here knowledgeable about these two majors and able to give me any advice?
    Ugh if I had a nickel for every time i hated life for not living in Ohio...I wanted to go to their PJ school more than anything in the world but couldn't afford going out of state. Dammit

  7. #82
    objective's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    4,762

    Default

    I really wantn to move to Canada, go to school there possibly. I'm not sure how hard that is for an American though..
    I got 5 on it.

  8. #83
    skatenj's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drizzle View Post
    im gonna go to a technical school for further education in automotive technology


    half my day at school is already spent off-campus at a technical school. rebuidling monte carlo engines and replacing minivan transmissions and shit, learning auto shit.

    in a few years i might save up some money and go to a school like UTI or Lincoln tech, if not my cheapo community college program (which i hear is pretty good...)


    cause thats what im doing with my life.
    .

  9. #84
    readmyname's Avatar
    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    2,809

    Default

    haha I love how Americans have to absolutely bust their ass to get into good colleges and pay ridiculous tuition. Must suck.
    :/

  10. #85
    Videon's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    10,004

    Default

    How much would it cost for me to get 15 credits, or from what I'm told, about one semester?

  11. #86
    zetnie's Avatar
    Title
    I Blame Hofmann
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Pencilvania
    Posts
    7,171

    Default

    Just pick something you enjoy doing. I'm going to a technical school for drafting and school's not the most fun but I really do enjoy learning about it and doing the work.

  12. #87
    PlanB's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    дด็็็็็้้้้้็็&#
    Posts
    12,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by readmyname View Post
    haha I love how Americans have to absolutely bust their ass to get into good colleges and pay ridiculous tuition. Must suck.
    How's canada for that?

    maybe I should move there


  13. #88
    Shakezoola's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,679

    Default

    I did pretty shitty my Freshman and sophomore years of high school but this year I have stepped it up considerably with a weighted 3.67 GPA my first semester.

    If you count freshman year my average is a 3.285 weighted.

    If you don't count freshman year my average is a 3.185 weighted. (Some schools dont take freshman grades)

    I am fairly certain I can get a 3.67 again or higher for my second semester and if i do that my GPA will be around 3.4 or 3.5


    Where should i apply? I was looking into Colorado at Boulder, Oregon State, Oregon, University of Washington (It's a reach but it's my dream school) and various CSUs.


    Where should i look?
    flickr
    andrewkodama.com

    Quote Originally Posted by StarcraftLedZeppelin View Post
    sbc is better on tv, that way i can just lay in bed and ban away

  14. #89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shakezoola View Post


    Where should i apply? I was looking into Colorado at Boulder, Oregon State, Oregon, University of Washington (It's a reach but it's my dream school) and various CSUs.


    Where should i look?
    All of those are ones I want to check out eventually probably, but if I was you I would definitely apply to some schools in cali, unless you're hell bent of leaving state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boof View Post
    horchata makes me want a penis in my mouth

  15. #90
    readmyname's Avatar
    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    2,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    How's canada for that?

    maybe I should move there
    Here they only take your grade 12 classes for marks when considering your application (in almost all cases anyway). So if you did fuck all in grade 9, 10, or 11 it generally doesn't matter. And where I am you only have to submit 5 classes for your overall average that they look at (although at least one has to be a math and English and only a maximum two fine art classes like drama or band) the others you can just pick your highest marks. Your marks will however effect what discipline you can go into but its not like this is a challenge. For example my brother was able to get into engineering with only a 80 average (keep in mind this was from his 5 best possible classes). And its not like he got into a joke college either as the university of Saskatchewan (one hes in) is ranked as having a good engineering department in Canada. I think the hardest college this year to get into this year was Kinesiology which you needed an average in the high 80s. But keep in mind you can still get into university with an average in the 70s in many cases.

    Also tuition is generally lower it seems. No SAT's either. Pretty much anyone can get into university here unless your an absolute lazy fuck or have a learning disability or are in poverty.
    Last edited by readmyname; 02-07-2011 at 10:32 PM.
    :/

  16. #91
    antwannn's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wooshington
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shakezoola View Post
    I did pretty shitty my Freshman and sophomore years of high school but this year I have stepped it up considerably with a weighted 3.67 GPA my first semester.

    If you count freshman year my average is a 3.285 weighted.

    If you don't count freshman year my average is a 3.185 weighted. (Some schools dont take freshman grades)

    I am fairly certain I can get a 3.67 again or higher for my second semester and if i do that my GPA will be around 3.4 or 3.5


    Where should i apply? I was looking into Colorado at Boulder, Oregon State, Oregon, University of Washington (It's a reach but it's my dream school) and various CSUs.


    Where should i look?
    did you already turn in application letter for udub? i think it was due on the 31st of december if i'm not mistaken. and what do you want to major in?
    Quote Originally Posted by sexmoney View Post
    drunk as fuck thinkin about gettin my dick pierced

  17. #92
    Shakezoola's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,679

    Default

    I'm a junior and i have no idea.
    flickr
    andrewkodama.com

    Quote Originally Posted by StarcraftLedZeppelin View Post
    sbc is better on tv, that way i can just lay in bed and ban away

  18. #93
    Stookie's Avatar
    Title
    blunted in a 600
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    13,886

    Default

    all these American systems are confusing. Australias easy as shit, relatively.
    If you do well and dont fail anything for year 11 and 12, and do well on the final exam (like SATs I guess), you can pretty much get into any course you want at Uni.
    Theres all these little rules and some subjects have more weighting than others, but thats generally all there is to it. No GPAs or anything too technical.

    Also, if you fuck up in hs, theres heaps of other ways to get into university eventually, its not some end of the world situation like it seems to be in the US
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post
    decide it - go for it - live it - just do it - fake it to you make it - if you can dream it, you can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post

    Skate, do strength training, eat healthy things, keep yuor mind healthy, open and clean, (don't fill it with bad news)
    Let the young people inspire you...
    / Henning
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    I want to enter college looking sexy as fuck for the ladies.

  19. #94

    Title
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    i would definetly love to go to a good college and.liberalartscollege.org has given me goood infomation regarding my subject...... this has solved half of my problems and i suppose there few more such sites that helps u to solve ur query...

  20. #95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stookie View Post
    all these American systems are confusing. Australias easy as shit, relatively.
    If you do well and dont fail anything for year 11 and 12, and do well on the final exam (like SATs I guess), you can pretty much get into any course you want at Uni.
    Theres all these little rules and some subjects have more weighting than others, but thats generally all there is to it. No GPAs or anything too technical.

    Also, if you fuck up in hs, theres heaps of other ways to get into university eventually, its not some end of the world situation like it seems to be in the US
    Yeah, though it depends on which uni you go to and how soon you want to start your degree. For example, if you wanted to go to the University of Sydney, you'd be hard pressed to get into Law, Medicine (although they only have post-grad), Veterinary Science, Advanced Science etc. with a UAI/ATAR of under 95. I think the one for Law is nearly 99. But it's a top class uni and thus has strict entry guidelines.

    Take my uni for example, it's more modern and has a very good reputation, listed as a '5 star uni' though lacks the prestige of other big, traditional unis. I had a friend from school who went horribly in the HSC (end of year 12 exams which uni entrance mark is based on). He did general maths (the bottom class of maths, there is also advanced, extension 1 and extension 2) and got a uni entrance mark (UAI as it was known until a couple of years ago - uni admission index, now it's the ATAR or some shit) of below 40, meaning they will rarely let you into any course at university really, maybe if you suck up and have a good interview you'll get into a bachelor of arts, which is considered the 'easiest' course to qualify for at uni.

    The year after he finished he did a college course (provided by the same uni I go to, at a high price) and successfully completed, aka got answers from other people, a few subjects and now he's just finished first year mechanical engineering or some shit at the uni after being accepted. Keep in mind this includes maths courses which are (obviously) much harder than anything I did at school in extension 2, and he failed general maths. He also failed physics at school and we had that together last semester at uni. If it wasn't for a component of the course that was worth 25% and completed online at home, for which he ran into a 3rd year student who hooked him with the entire list of answers, he would have failed. If he graduates with that degree I know I'm sure as hell not going anywhere near anything he works on.

    So if you are't picky about where you go, usually you can get into the course you want. Obviously, less intelligent people rarely aspire to do medicine and law, so they know it's not a realistic goal, but to get into teaching it's around a UAI of 70, so people know that if they work hard in year 12 then they'll qualify. Even then if they don't, there are a few other routes to get where you want.

    Because of our funding scheme, where you can opt to defer payments until you have finished, and it's covered in an interest free loan by the government, qualification is pretty much only based on academic performance, not on what money can buy. In that sense, I mean a 'poor' student at a shitty high school can still work their ass off academically and be accepted into the most exclusive uni in the country without the pressure of tuition costs and that shit which seem to dictate availability of American unis. If you can afford to find somewhere near to your uni to live, you should be able to afford to go. It's much more affordable here.
    Last edited by spanky_dan; 02-08-2011 at 03:52 AM.


  21. #96
    Stookie's Avatar
    Title
    blunted in a 600
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    13,886

    Default

    I think Queensland must be a lot different to NSW with their systems, I've never heard of those acronyms before haha. Do you southerners get OP/Ranks? If not I'm assuming a rank is the same as UAI/ATAR? If so, to get into anything criminology related (which is what I'm looking at doing) you need a rank of around the 70 mark.

    To get into any more technical sort of courses ie law, engineering, medicine, vet science, journalism (to an extent) you need an OP of 1-6, which I think is the equivalent to a rank of a high 70, so they're naturally harder to get into because they require High school subjects with more weighting i.e physics and Japanese/a foreign language. But I realised early in year 11 I cannot get an OP of 1-6 because I do photography as a subject which has little to no weighting haha (I also do Modern History which has a high weighting, so how that works out, I don't know.) However I've never really had a desire to get into any of those courses (except for maybe journalism)

    Also you said that if 'poor' people are high achieving academically, they can still get into a good course, which is good, but then you say that your friend did shit in high school and still managed to do an advanced course at Uni because he had the money and copied off people. So that seems unfair that he seemingly bought his way/took a free ride into uni? Forgive me if I've taken things out of context, that's just what I got out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post
    decide it - go for it - live it - just do it - fake it to you make it - if you can dream it, you can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post

    Skate, do strength training, eat healthy things, keep yuor mind healthy, open and clean, (don't fill it with bad news)
    Let the young people inspire you...
    / Henning
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    I want to enter college looking sexy as fuck for the ladies.

  22. #97
    millerbestmedia's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Leo's Burgers
    Posts
    4,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stookie View Post
    I think Queensland must be a lot different to NSW with their systems, I've never heard of those acronyms before haha. Do you southerners get OP/Ranks? If not I'm assuming a rank is the same as UAI/ATAR? If so, to get into anything criminology related (which is what I'm looking at doing) you need a rank of around the 70 mark.

    To get into any more technical sort of courses ie law, engineering, medicine, vet science, journalism (to an extent) you need an OP of 1-6, which I think is the equivalent to a rank of a high 70, so they're naturally harder to get into because they require High school subjects with more weighting i.e physics and Japanese/a foreign language. But I realised early in year 11 I cannot get an OP of 1-6 because I do photography as a subject which has little to no weighting haha (I also do Modern History which has a high weighting, so how that works out, I don't know.) However I've never really had a desire to get into any of those courses (except for maybe journalism)

    Also you said that if 'poor' people are high achieving academically, they can still get into a good course, which is good, but then you say that your friend did shit in high school and still managed to do an advanced course at Uni because he had the money and copied off people. So that seems unfair that he seemingly bought his way/took a free ride into uni? Forgive me if I've taken things out of context, that's just what I got out of it.
    The way it works in WA is that if you do 'TEE' subjects (subjects that will allow you to get into university) you get a final 'ATAR' which is between 30 and 99.95. 99.95 is the highest score possible and 30 is the lowest (not sure of the reasoning). The ATAR only uses your top 4 subjects.

    Then, to make it a bit more complicated, you get scaled according to your subject's difficulty and your position on the bell curve. So if you do physics and score at the top end of the bell curve (say 80 +) you will be scaled up a few percent. However if you score below everyone else in physics (say under 50) you will be scaled down to a worse fail.

    So, I didn't do any traditionally 'hard' subjects (although Visual Arts is super strenuous and a few others were difficult), but I didn't get scaled down because I was the top of the state for most subjects.

    Thus, I ended up with 99.6. I only needed 70 to get into my course (maybe an average of 55%) so it was a breeze.

    Something like medicine requires a 99 or something.

    TL;DR - recap.

    - West Australia has 'ATAR' ranking system.
    - 30-99.95. Higher is better.
    - Score depends on how you perform in your top 4 subjects against the cohort, and the subjects difficulty.



    The thought of college sounds so appealing, the living away from your parents on campus with a bunch of potentially sick dudes studying your passion.

  23. #98
    Stookie's Avatar
    Title
    blunted in a 600
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    13,886

    Default

    I guess it's the same in Queensland. This is how it seems from what I've been told;
    OP Subjects- Have good weighting, some more than others. If you do 5 of these and pass (C or higher) combined with a good QCS (final exam), you will get an OP (overall position) of 1-6.
    If you do 'Registered Subjects' or whatever they're called now - They allow you to get a rank, but disallow you to get anything better than OP6. (Lower the number, the better). Photography is in this group of subjects. I'm not actually sure why there's such thing as an 'OP', because in the end, the Unis are looking for rank equivalence anyway. I guess OP is just an old, dated system QLD likes to stick with.

    I do four OP subjects and one 'Registered' subject. So if I do well on the exam and do well in all these subjects, I can look at getting a rank of around 74 which is equivalent to I think OP 7, which would be sick because that will allow me to do any more advanced courses at Uni if I choose.

    Certain factors also play into it. If you go to a good school with good kids, and if you're a shitcunt, your grades are going to be pushed up. Same goes for the opposite, if you're a good kid, shit school, shit kids, your grades will probably go down. Luckily my school has good reputation, the other one in town doesn't so much, so sucks for them haha.

    I really don't know why I'm getting into this so much. Oh well, good discussionz.

    and college seems like the shit. Rooming with other like-minded people, parties, chicks who hand out blowys like high fives... and those red cups.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post
    decide it - go for it - live it - just do it - fake it to you make it - if you can dream it, you can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post

    Skate, do strength training, eat healthy things, keep yuor mind healthy, open and clean, (don't fill it with bad news)
    Let the young people inspire you...
    / Henning
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    I want to enter college looking sexy as fuck for the ladies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •